The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nail Polish ON my SADDLE

The title says It all. I gave my 2nd cousin a lesson On my wonderful born broke quarter horse. I helped take the saddle off and saw pink nail polish. I have no idea how to get this off my leather saddle. I am kicking myself because I have a wintec that I use normally but was to lazy to change gullets!!!I have a show next weekend and do not want bright pink on my knee roll!!!uuuggghhh
    thank you,

I bet it comes off if you clean it and oil it daily. Think about it, it's not like it will stay on your fingers forever either.

i would not try anything like Nail polish remover. rub the leather to se if it is pliable. should peel off if you are careful, use a conditioner as stated. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by vbunny View Post
    I bet it comes off if you clean it and oil it daily. Think about it, it's not like it will stay on your fingers forever either.
    I use clear polish to seal a few cracks on my saddle, and cleaning/conditioning doesn't effect it very much.
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

Cry on it? LOL

Neat story...when my little brother was about 2, he had watched me and my sister putting make up on, eye shadow to be specific. One day he was wasn't being watched very closely and grabbed a bottle of blue nail polish and thinking it was the stuff you put on your eyes, tried to apply, and got it in his eye. We were panicking because the stuff doesn't come off, but the paramedics said to keep rinsing his eye, and that even though nail polish isn't water soluble the natural tears in his eyes will break it down and wash it away.

I wish I had an answer for you, but that is the only thing that I know of that will take it off.

I know polish will peel off skin easily due to the natual oils - you could try gently scraping it off.

You could also do a test on an area that is normally hidden with non-ascetone nail polish remover.

Use Goof Off. You can get it at Walmart Target Lowes just about anywhere. It says it is safe for leather. I had green acrylic paint on a leather bridle and I used it very sparingly with a qtip. Came off rather quickly and leather was not damaged. I oiled it anyway. Since your saddle is a Wintec I would maybe dilute it a bit. Or even call Wintec-Bates and ask them. Probably wouldn't be the first time someone asked lol

We're not talking about WET nail polish here are we? I mean that would be a tough one. Let alone wondering why she was painting her nails while taking a lesson..... But dry polish could only be a rub mark, right?

Perhaps gently scraping it off or maybe rubbing it off with a suede eraser will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    i would not try anything like Nail polish remover.
    I used nail polish remover to get paint off of my saddle. It discolored it (very) slightly but a little oil on the spot and it looked perfectly normal.