The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another abandoned horse.... sigh

Well, in keeping with the current trend of craptastic undeserving horse owners, another abandoned horse was found tied in my area. Most are set loose in the riverbed but this poor animal was tied in the dairy farm area.

http://www.ktla.com/videobeta/bb862f...p-Yost-reports

Beth Les the officer (btw- she is just awesome!) said that they have had several so far this year however the abandoned horse #'s for the Riverside County has been well over 100 this year- she's just talking about the ones in her area.

There are 2 auctions held close of this location EVERY month, one within walking distance, so there is no excuse that they couldn't get rid of the horse quickly plus several people (including brokers) scoop the free horses off CL typically within 24 hrs. Rather this is the result of people who just didn't care...

Anyway, if there are good horse owners in Southern Cali that can offer a home to an abandoned horse, please PLEASE send me a PM. There are several horses that need homes urgently- we just have to *find* those homes. I know people are leary about 'adoption contracts' but in some cases it's not adoption at all but transfer of ownership.

well, it's not free to take to the auction.
    But it still sucks.
    The horse is better off going for free to the broker than being let go or tied up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Poor old girl! She looks so sweet. I hope she can make it. Despite being so unbelievably skinny (and still alive??) she looks strong and bright eyed.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    well, it's not free to take to the auction.
    But it still sucks.
    The horse is better off going for free to the broker than being let go or tied up.
    The only ones who don't sell are the ones with too high reserves by private owners. Last week a long yearling colt sold for $5, so the horses do sell. The brokers are quick to pick up the free ones... This mare was just tied and left which there is really no ungodly reason to do that!

Sadly, she looks better than a mare I knew. That mare died recently, she was in even worse shape if you can believe it. The agency doing the investigation (after numerous concerned phone calls) into this business and the condition of the horses on site (this one especially) did not ask for proof of the horse being under veterinary care. Very tragic and sad.

Of course, I'm rambling and there is so much more to the story. Seeing this story and her photo just reminded me all over again, as they actually look(ed) a lot alike.

poor mare, why do people do such things?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSTB View Post
    The only ones who don't sell are the ones with too high reserves by private owners. Last week a long yearling colt sold for $5, so the horses do sell. The brokers are quick to pick up the free ones... This mare was just tied and left which there is really no ungodly reason to do that!
    I meant about the fees to the sale barn. They don't work for free....

but letting an animal starve and tie it up is just too sad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

We just got a call about a stray horse - which we probably cannot take in. We're full, there's no hay, and fewer people fostering and adopting.

Very sad to say no...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

This just breaks my heart. It is happening all over the US.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

People are asshats….

And the economy certainly isn’t helping, but I have heard of people doing this crap even before every thing tanked.

The lady I bought (rescued?) my beloved mare from…. Gees louise…. She was “planning” on abandoning some of her horses!!! And even told me this!

First, I bought my girl from her as a weanling (actually took ownership the day I saw her at 3 weeks old). The TB broodmare was a rack of bones, WORSE then the one in the news story if you believe it (the rest of her horses were well fed, just no idea of how to care for a 25 year old TB broodmare).

Any way, she had THREE MUSTANG STALLIONS, couldn’t handle them, they were penned up in a pipe corral where they spent their days trying to kill each other. She said she came upon them because some one else was “taking them to auction” and she thought she could give them a better home. But, she wasn’t able to handle them at all…. So she said she was going to try to figure out how to get them in her trailer, and probably let them lose near the national forest!?!?!?!?!

I obviously advised against this… but, I was also doing my best to try to get my filly out of her clutches and had to walk a fine line.

I fed the broodie until I convinced her it would be best to put the old girl out of her misery. No idea what happened to mustangs. They are roaming some where in Fresno county now for all I know.

http://apps.facebook.com/petpardons/pages.aspx?page=1

Is anyone using the facebook app, PetPardons for there horse rescues?

I know it's more geared towards dogs and cats, but I have seen a few horses on there as well. Given how many people are on Facebook, that may be a way to get the word out.

I've been told that if you go to the local auction you have to leave someone guarding your trailer...if not, when you come back, you may find a horse or two tied to it.