The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Read these and snigger !

Last edited by Equibrit; Sep. 15, 2011 at 12:00 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Default proud to be a rural bully!

Thanks for the lesson in I am not sure what. Consider the source I guess.

I wish reading with analysis was taught it school.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

That's quite a colorful description in the 2nd one. Not showing bias, much, eh?
    Intermediate Riding Skills

I really cannot fathom why Britain - of all countries - permits innocent people to be chased, harassed, stalked and threatened. Britain is so... civilized - at least it used to be.

Regardless of one's position on hunting (or foxhunting), the level of torment and violence committed against innocent people (including children and horses/ponies,) is absolutely appalling and unforgivable.

In this country, harassing hunters or interfering in a lawful hunt is a crime. Not to mention trespassing.

I love America.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    In this country, harassing hunters or interfering in a lawful hunt is a crime. Not to mention trespassing.

I love America.
    Don't forget our self defense laws, compared to those of the UK.

When I read these hunt sab stories I'm reminded of the idiot who went in the woods dressed up in a bear suit.

During bear season.

That story has Darwin Award written all over it.
    -Rudyard Kipling

When I read these hunt sab stories I'm reminded of the idiot who went in the woods dressed up in a bear suit.

During bear season.

That story has Darwin Award written all over it.
    That never ends well......

I really cannot fathom why Britain - of all countries - permits innocent people to be chased, harassed, stalked and threatened. Britain is so... civilized - at least it used to be.

Regardless of one's position on hunting (or foxhunting), the level of torment and violence committed against innocent people (including children and horses/ponies,) is absolutely appalling and unforgivable.

I love America.
    Now, this did make me laugh!!!

Sadly, Britain is getting less and less civilised. Seems that the criminals/idiots/do-gooders get the benefit of the doubt while normal people get harassed. In some places, there's a real bias against foxhunting. Too many people living in cities who think that a fox is just like a cute little teddy bear. They're unwilling or unable to accept that foxes are not pets and that they need to be controlled.

In was in the supermarket today, and a child asked his mother where lamb came from. Her answer? "Tesco, darling!"

There's a real disconnect between 'countryside' folks and 'town' folks.

(Ahem- I'll get off my soapbox now! )
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I'm not sure how much truth there is to that. It's really hard to legislate a hard and fast line between what is legitimate protest and free speech vs what is unreasonable harassment. Crazies will always find ways to push the limits.

Do you think hunt sabs in the UK are really more noxious than anti-abortion protesters in the US? When they stay within the limits of the law they are pretty unpleasant eg http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...2NK_story.html

And of course they don't always stay within the law.

It just depends what your local crazies are up in arms about.

I'm pretty sure planting incendiary devices, killing people, or terrorizing children isn't protected speech. Even in the UK.

Property rights evolved differently in the US, in any event. The reason those whack jobs get away with much of what they do is because of UK law and public access to private property, over the objections of the owner.

In any event, try that crap here and you'll be arrested. And in my state, don't dare steal a hunting dog, interfere with it while it is lawfully hunting, harm it in any way, or remove its collar.

You know why it's a good reason to keep opposing groups apart to the extent possible? Because it keeps people from becoming violent. It keeps protests civilized, and permits both groups to live freely and to express their views without being harmed.

In the UK, it's a damn free for all. People have been severely injured or killed. That's not free speech. It's a form of terrorism.
    -Rudyard Kipling

In the UK, it's a damn free for all. People have been severely injured or killed. That's not free speech. It's a form of terrorism.
    I think American sabs are smart enough to know what could easily happen to them on the spot if their actions are seen as something that can lead to imminent death or severe injury to a rider or other members of the hunt.

People in the UK do not have the right to roam/trespass on private property. They have the right to go on Countryside Right of Way property which is clearly marked and mapped. http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/our...trictions.aspx
    Unlike the US, the UK has ancient common lands which are open to all.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I know, Equibrit. And I know there have been problems and conflicts with landowners. People not respecting curtilage, relieving themselves in gardens, leaving the paths and almost being shot by shooting parties out hunting. Wildlife biologists, on the other hand, are thrilled at the biodiversity that has been preserved on that land.

Our laws are different in the US. We evolved differently; especially our hunting ethics. For which I am eternally grateful. If nothing else I don't have to worry about some stranger meandering around the farm leaving gates open or littering. Or bothering me while I'm hunting or fishing.
    -Rudyard Kipling

One minor similarity between the US and the UK comes not coincidentally from New England, where in MA, NH, VT, and ME it is legal to trespass onto private property for some types of legally defined outdoor recreation unless the land is clearly posted in a prescribed manner.