The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Update?

Yes! Update! Please!

Someone posted his name is Denali. Or was. Can someone look that up?
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Yes!! need an update!!
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

It's just after 5 p.m., so pour yourself a cocktail and raise your glass to Charlie. He is safely home in Northern Michigan with a sweet new owner who thinks he walks on water. He hasn't been under saddle yet due to all the rain, but he is a gentle giant.

A name came up on the Coggins and I was able to verify that Charlie was in fact a jumper, although this person thought he was older. We still have no idea how old he is or where he came from prior to three years ago. If anyone knows this horse, please let me know. He is so big, how can someone not know him?

I haven't heard the name Denali.

I will not be clicking through to anymore Camelot listings. That's right, DCM, don't even think about it. My silly filly just whispered in my ear that she does want to go to a winter circuit after all. Doesn't she know that horse social work does not pay well at all?

Yay! Glad to hear the big guy is 'home'. Tell his owner about his fan club here on COTH, please!

And no, I won't promise to refrain from posting Camelot listings when the 'urge' hits me. Look how this one turned out. Justice, you are an angel and my hero. Thank you thank you thank you!

PS - have fun with your silly filly this winter. Is PP going to ride her again? His home barn is a short hop from where I live these days.

Question Charlebois?

could his be Charlebois? Buddy Brown showed him in Florida during WEF in the 1980ies
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

I remember Charlebois in the mid 80s- so he'd be 32ish. I wouldn't think that this would be right..
    Last edited by Darden; Oct. 26, 2011 at 11:46 AM.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

"Safety is sexy" - Jimmy Fallon
    #mindyourmelon

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Definitely not Charlebois, but appreciate the brainstorming. DCM, I don't think the requisite 12 weeks of WEF is happening for me, although it is a nice dream. That is a long time for me to be horseless since I'll be staying home to take care of my human children. I am trainerless here in the Midwest, and and a little too chicken to try out a new venue with someone I don't know. I do need to find someone to horse show with here but have not done anything about it yet and heading into the holidays with small children is not a great time to start shipping three hours for lessons.

It seems crazy, but I'm thinking of going old school. Since I'd only be able to go for a week at best anyway, I am hoping to send her to Mark in California. She's short, she's a chestnut, she's a baby, it will be like I never left the barn. It's a long way, but once she's there, I won't have a worry in the world. And, it will give me a great chance to reconnect with my California clique!

I really enjoy Charlie's updates. And if his new mommy would like to keep us updated, we would love to see them [hint hint]
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    A name came up on the Coggins and I was able to verify that Charlie was in fact a jumper, although this person thought he was older. We still have no idea how old he is or where he came from prior to three years ago.
    Did I miss something or did you not share the name you found on the Coggins? Also, was there no age listed on the Coggins?

is there a picture posted somewhere of Charlie ? I am glad he has someone to love him and to love I am tearing up
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

I asked the new owner for permission to post a couple of her pictures... they are so stinkin' cute together.

You said that a COTHer gave the horse to a "forever" home recently - and they took him to Camelot. Can you (or her) please "out" this person so that no one else gets tricked into placing a horse with them?

You know, the whole thing is kind of weird. According to the name that turned up on the coggins, the horse was sold, and turned up at Camelot (again) a week later because he was so big. What the person whose name was on the Coggins told me did not gel at all with what the previous owner told me, but both were kind and helpful. You have to understand, this horse is in fact, huge. Finding a bridle, halter or bit that fits him is a task unto itself. There seems to be a lot of mystery surrounding the horse, but everyone who knows him has made an effort to contact me to tell me what a very nice and safe horse he is. The person on the coggins actually laughed when I said I had heard that he could be spooky.

For his new owner, it doesn't matter where he came from or who he was in his former life, it just matters where he is and who he is now. And for Charlie, I think that will make all the difference.

With his new owner's permission... picture time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	298319_155107174586204_100002607678647_247875_1056937059_n.jpg 
Views:	1716 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	34136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charlie.jpg 
Views:	1548 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	34137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charlie bareback.jpg 
Views:	1524 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	34138  

1 members found this post helpful.

I really shouldn't read these at work--now sniffling at the front desk--not very professional

This certainly made my whole day!
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

AWESOME. SO SO SO Glad that he has a great home! I bought my guy from Camelot a year ago, so there are soft spots in my heart for people who give these guys a forever home!!

Short girl. TALLLLLL horsie. She looks happy and he looks like such a nice old gent--thank you for facilitating such a happy pairing, Justice! (And when you say 'north' in Michigan, what general vicinity are you talking? When we lived downriver, Mt Pleasant was 'up north' and is for me down near South Bend now, when we moved to central 'up north' meant more like Traverse City. He might want a blankie or three if that's the 'north' in question...he must be a HUGE size...)

The girl is 5'9"! He wears a 90 blanket, and the oversize bridle I bought for him fits on the last hole. At least, they think it will fit, because they can't find a bit that will fit him! Poor girl may end up riding on the Foxfield Drill team out in California with a wire around his neck. This is the first time I've ever bought a horse and had it be bigger than advertised. By a full hand!

What a doll though, and he's found the perfect person. Don't you just love it when everything works out? He's in Sutton's Bay, near Traverse City.
    Last edited by Justice; Oct. 27, 2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: location

Wow, so glad he found a great & loving home, all thanks to Justice