The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Natural Horsemanship Games

I'm not trying to start a trainwreck, though heaven knows...

This is a wonderful photographer. On her site are all the events she's worked. Including this one:

http://horsephoto.smugmug.com/HorseE...emanship-Games

Is it me, or do many of these horses look either pissed or embarrassed? Especially the ones jumping in rope halters or what look to be incredibly harsh bits?

What is a "Canter YoYo"?

Also, I was taught you never, ever drag your lead on the ground.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Who cares?
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I didn't see any harsh-looking bits? I saw mostly rope halters, snaffles, and a couple of those myler 'cradle' combo bits.

I dunno. It all looks pretty silly to me but then so do hunter classes. At least these people are riding and the horses look in good condition.

Some of the candid shots the photographer took are really cute.

I am certainly not a NH buff or anything. But I will say no harm no foul in this case. These people are enjoying their horses.

I will admit I do not get the whole riding with two 'training sticks', one in each hand thing.

The horses look fine.

I think I will rescue this horse from his Parellite owner. Gorgeous and I'm pretty sure this horse would make my butt look smaller

ETA: I'm only on the 40th pic, but they all look like they are in good shape and not angry... I've seen more pissed off horses at horse shows.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

This one is adorable too! "Are they seriously doing this to me?" At least these people take good care of their horses and care enough to attempt to teach them something... As ridiculous as most of us think it is.
    www.southcross.com

I got a good laugh out of this one, with the woman using two peacock feathers instead of carrot stick antennae. Also, this woman appears to be getting ready to hit the ski slope.

I don't see any angry or unhappy horses, though. I did spot a couple of horses with those combination hackamore / gag bits that are common in barrel racing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post

This is a wonderful photographer. On her site are all the events she's worked. Including this one:

Is it me, or do many of these horses look either pissed or embarrassed? Especially the ones jumping in rope halters or what look to be incredibly harsh bits?

What is a "Canter YoYo"?

Where are the pissed horses? I see some ears turned back because there's a tarp on the horse's back or the horse is backing or thinking...

But I see very few who are actually pissed (such as maybe this one: http://horsephoto.smugmug.com/HorseE...782238_4GcHLXZ - #3). Not enough to say "many of the horses look pissed". What, pray tell, does an "embarrassed" look look like? I'm keeping in mind too that these photos are simply moments in time... and horses are permitted to express themselves and have opinions too

What's your bit knowledge, OP? I believe the "incredibly harsh bits" you are referring to are the Parelli/Myler combo bits, which is similar to a Baucher. I think you need to listen to what Bob Myler has to say about them. I have one and it's incredibly gentle. Essentially it's simply a shaped mouthpiece with sweet iron and a low port for tongue relief. Doesn't collapse on the tongue nor does it dig into the hard palate. The Baucher-ness to it means greater stability in the mouth, and the small ring inside the large ring, that the reins may attach to, is for refinement (once the horse is ready).

Can't tell you specifically what canter yo-yo is, but it looks to be canter to back-up and back-up to canter. Transitions, ime, make for great exercises.

I was taught too you should never drag a leadrope on the ground, but if your horse is sufficiently prepared, it shouldn't be a problem if he steps on it. If a leg is caught in it, it makes for an excellent desensitization opportunity as well as an opportunity to further teach the horse to release to pressure and make him think. It really shouldn't be a big deal Sometimes your lines are a little long as you do certain ground exercises that require a longer line and/or more responsibility from the horse.

Hope that helps answer your queries and concerns. Personally, I just see a lot of really happy and lovely horses and happy owners having fun with their partners. PNH and other NH certainly is not everyone's cup of tea, but it obviously works well for many others. I see no reason for ridicule in the photos provided and certainly second the "who cares" comment.
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post

What is a "Canter YoYo"?

Yes you are trying to start a train wreck.

Pissed or embarrassed? Are you kidding? EMBARRASSED?

Yes you are confused!

Sometimes we mistake "pissed" for "confused". Plus it's really difficult to tell the overall mood of the horse through the small fraction of a second that it takes for the shutter to snap.

As far as "embarrassed", well... that's a human emotion.

A bit is only as harsh as the human hands holding the reins to which it is attached.

Personally, I'm way more concerned about the lack of helmet use, especially in the pictures where horses are jumping.
    Last edited by bluemooncowgirl; Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added another thought....

Quote Originally Posted by bluemooncowgirl View Post
    As far as "embarrassed", well... that's a human emotion.
    I am pretty sure I have embarrassed my horse a few times! I swear he has a "Are you serious mom?" face! However, I did not see any horses in those pics that rivaled my horse.
    www.southcross.com

I see a few not-so-thrilled horses and some who looked fine.

No idea what "Natural Games" are. Is there a link to the clinic description?

But my personal pet peeve are the helmets -- where the heck are they?! Who holds a clinic without them (if nothing out with the insurance/liability issue)? And one lady is wearing one way too small for her and tipped way back, so it looks more like a yamaka.

I'm not big into NH, especially not the over-marketed, overdone ridiculousness that is PNH. But when taken for what it is originally intended for, NH groundwork exercises can be incredibly helpful to horses and riders. Those horses being "tarped" will remember that experience if a bag or tent cover blows across the ring at them, and if taught CORRECTLY, these horses are very respectful of their handler's space. If a horse learns that when he is afraid of something, he will be not be forced at it immediately but MUST keep his feet moving and moving forward, he learns that he can trust his handler/rider to keep him safe, but that he must listen at all times. And eventually the horse will do what is asked without fear or forcing.

Most of those horses look fine. A few look unsure, but pissed? There's a difference between an ear laid flat back in anger and one turned back because the horse is listening to the rider or concentrating on its task. These horses, for the most part, look relaxed as they think their way through things. But yeah, agreed on helmets. I understand that adults can make their own choice at home (whether they should is a whole other can of worms), but Parelli clinics not only don't require them, but seem to actively discourage them. Yikes!

GOOD natural methods don't require hundred-dollar carrot sticks, special bits or tack, or any other gadget beyond a halter and lead rope and the desire to build a lasting trust between horse and rider.

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    I see a few not-so-thrilled horses and some who looked fine.

No idea what "Natural Games" are. Is there a link to the clinic description?

But my personal pet peeve are the helmets -- where the heck are they?! Who holds a clinic without them (if nothing out with the insurance/liability issue)? And one lady is wearing one way too small for her and tipped way back, so it looks more like a yamaka.
    Eh, I wear a helmet but in my neck of the woods (NM) it's really not uncommon to hold events where helmets aren't required. Especially western/NH-type events. I went to a clinic just like a month ago where no one was wearing a helmet and honestly I didn't even notice until I was thinking back on it later.

I'm also really not seeing what there is to be upset about. Horses look fine to me--yeah, in a couple of shots that I flipped through before I got bored I saw some irritation, but that happens when you're training horses.

I'm pretty sure the OP is trying to start a trainwreck, too.

It's not that uncommon to see people helmetless at western and NH clinic.

The horses look fine. A little confused in a few shots, but that's typical for clinic pictures, there are always a few who look a little confused/mildly annoyed.

I'd agree, it looks like you're trying to start a trainwreck, even if that's not your intention.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I vote bored. That's not exclusive to NH by any stretch.

I thought it was a lovely collection of pictures. I love this buckskin.

A canter yo yo (I think) would be cantering several strides forward, then a reinback, then a few strides of canter, then a reinback. Rinse and repeat. I know I can't show you a video to prove this next statement, but my horse loves this exercise and is brilliant at it. It really brings up his life and makes him light on the -- well, I do ride in a halter, so I'll have to say, light on the rein.

Nice photography and healthy looking horses. Otherwise - to each their own.

The 2 peacock feathers did make me smile, however did you notice that the same woman had the reins, clipped to her waistband with one of those little metal mountaineering clips? Now that was odd.

Lovely, healthy looking horses.