The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Funny skin issue *Pics of horse's condition added*

My OTTB just came back from a year lease in somewhat rough shape. He's a bit underweight, bad teeth, bad feet. His skin is a disaster--he's covered in bite marks. He's also covered in tiny tiny bumps. At first I assumed they were bug bites. But he's been home now for 3 days, and I've groomed him twice--tonight as I was currying I found that the little bumps are coming off. There are tons of them, all over the tops of his haunches and a little on his back as well. They're very tiny, like pencil point tiny. They come off as almost like little scabby gray things. Is this the start of rain rot? I am going to assume that it will resolve quickly with good care, grooming, and nutrition (I've ordered a skin/omega 3 supplement), but is there any cause for concern here? What the heck is it?
    Last edited by JCS; Sep. 15, 2011 at 08:52 PM.

Sounds like your classic case of rain rot.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Sounds like rain rot to me also. Pick up some Equiderma to get rid of it quickly:

http://www.equiderma.com/store/produ...products_id=33
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Also could just be the scabs left behind from multiple horse fly bites. They are in the area that the big horse flies feed at.

chicamuxen

Sounds like rain rot to me also. A good diet and good care should get rid of it. If it doesn't there are many commercial rainrot treatments available that work well.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Sounds like rain rot and does need to be treated..you should be able to get something at your local store. Also make sure you do not share his pads, brushes or other items as it could spread. Rain rot can spread and take up to a month to cure.

Thanks guys. I assumed rain rot would be more visible; this is quite subtle. Wanted to share some pics of my horse so you can see his condition. Glad he is home!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5572328...7627555727299/

Wow, that's more than 'a bit' underweight. And if he wasn't fed, I'm sure his skin hasn't seen a brush in a while. Give him a good bath with something to address rain rot just in case, but I think good food and good grooming will solve the problem.

I'm glad he's home too!

Poor guy. I'm glad he's home, and it should clear up asap!

Doesn't this just make you lose faith in people? I hate off property leases because even with safe guards in place it is really hard to have any impact on their care once they are out of your control. The skin issue sounds like rain rot to me....again neglect in terms of grooming is a contributer.

I would probably worm also. I would be pissed if my horse came back looking like that!!

Yep, I wormed him and had his teeth done--they were quite bad, so hopefully those two factors alone will help him pick his weight back up. They were feeding him 4 quarts 2x/day of oats and rolled barley, but their hay quality was atrocious, plus he couldn't really chew it with his teeth the way they were.

Wow poor baby..his condition could explain the bad skin issues, good food and grooming will help. If it continues have your vet take a sample and check it for paresites such as lice.

One wonders the role that stress plays in such things too. I believe a stressed horse is more likely to develop such things. hearing he couldn't chew his hay well ,and I bet feed too, would be stressful. Lack of attention would also be stressful as well as being with people who obviously didn't care much about him. The good part is he is back with you and will have his life put back in order.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    Sounds like rain rot to me also. Pick up some Equiderma to get rid of it quickly:

http://www.equiderma.com/store/produ...products_id=33
    What are the ingredients listed in Equiderma? This product looks interesting. Wonder if it's available in Canada?

i couldn't really see from the pics but my tb had that issue the first summer i had him - it was actually an allergy to the bug bites. he also had an allergy to the weed seeds that are with oats (no matter how many time they say they're washed).

spirulina can help and is also a good food source (herbalcom.com) something like ration plus may also help him gain his weight back.
    www.TackMeUp.com
    'What's in your trunk?'
    Free tools for Trainers and Riders

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance_Solo View Post
    Sounds like rain rot to me also. A good diet and good care should get rid of it. If it doesn't there are many commercial rainrot treatments available that work well.
    MTG! Works great. Used on an OTTB mare that had some rain rot over her rump and back. Awesome stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by TBMaggie View Post
    Wow, that's more than 'a bit' underweight. And if he wasn't fed, I'm sure his skin hasn't seen a brush in a while. Give him a good bath with something to address rain rot just in case, but I think good food and good grooming will solve the problem.

I'm glad he's home too!
    Wow, is right! Try the EQUYSS (sp?) shampoo. Works great for skin problems.

Your horse looks so sweet, I'm sure you are glad to have him home. I would have a real issue with the person who leased him and returned him in that condition.

At least he is home now

I am disappointed, because I sent him to them with high hopes that the daughter would be able to make something of him. She is quite a good rider, and I was never able to get the potential out of my horse that I knew he had. I checked on him frequently, and although she never did get around to riding him much, the care was decent. Then this summer they had a slew of personal crises and one giant expensive veterinary issue with another horse, and things went downhill for my horse very quickly.

For comparison, here's a pic of him in November of 2009, a few months before he went on his lease. It's not a very good pic, but it's the most recent one I have of him from "before."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5572328...7627686439902/

I would be so mad if my horse came back like that. Sounds like rain rot... Good luck