The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thrush Buster not working--any suggestions?

I am been a fan of Thrush Buster for years. If the thrush is pretty bad I would wad a small piece of gauze soaked in thrush buster into the really thrushy area. Unfortunately, one of my mare's feet is just terribly thrush ridden--just a mess--cracked through the heel and lots of cracks on her very mushy frog. Any suggestions? Unfortunately, she is a bit chubby and we keep her in a dry lot that often becomes a mudpit. I've been applying thrush buster 4x a week for almost 2 months.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Tomorrow mastitis cream for cows.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Definitely this!
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

If you're having to deal with thrush that often, then it would seem past time to address diet and/or hoof form. It's not normal.

A few soaks with White Lightning.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I have horses that come from out west and aren't used to the humidity. Any time we have a stretch of really wet weather, we use tomorrow paste to make sure that we don't have issues with thrush. I had a Mexican Mustang who had chronic thrush. Tomorrow paste worked wonders. He actually shed the entire frog on all 4 feet.

I had to buy Today as the TSC doesn't stock Tomorrow, but it worked just as well. I sprayed the foot with a jet of water and a great deal of frog sloughed off, scrubbed with betadine, rinsed, applied the Today using the handy little thin tip to get it in every nook and cranny and then diapered up the feet. A 22 to 37 lb sized diaper fits his feet just fine.
    Did the diaper for two days and then switched to Today with cotton balls gently stuffed into the sulcus/ cracks etc over top of it.
    Farrier came two days ago and found no evidence of thrush anywhere.

I do agree though that when you have chronic thrush there is something wrong in the husbandry practices - maybe time to do a footing improvement in a corner of the dry lot - crown it, add drainage, rock and then fines or sand to make a clean mud free spot? My horse having contracted heels and deep sulci have made him more prone to getting thrush when we have muddy conditions and we are in the middle of grading and putting down rock for improvements.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    A few soaks with White Lightning.
    ^This. It is the BEST treatment. Ever. Seriously, a few WL soaks and the thrush will be history.

I've also heard really good things about Thrush Off, No Thrush, and Tomorrow. Personally, I just mix apple cider viengar and water (and now starting adding tea tree oil and oregano oil) as a daily thrush preventative spray.

A common cause of thrush that won't clear is a copper deficiency. Especially if you know all other aspects of the diet are adequate.

While treating topically, run to a hardwar store and buy a piece of copper piping for the water bucket.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Nolvasan solution.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Ditto the Today/Tomorrow, but I've had just as good luck with the TSC brand (and it's about 1/2 the price for a box). I syringe in the mastitis treatment and then pour Wonder Dust on top and pack it into the crevices. Works very well. The mastitis treatment, IME, is too thin to stay where it needs to be without something to hold it in.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Soak in Clean Trax. Works wonders.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I gave up on the Thrush Buster this year too, and had much better and faster results with the Absorbine Hooflex Thrush Remedy.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I've been dealing with an aged horse who has a terrible case of thrush and perhaps something more...vet has been involved, he developed granuloma (proud flesh essentially), had it cut away. I've been using chlorhexadine to scrub the sulcus and heel bulb cleft (his is unusually deep due to a foot deformation). I then use Today, though recently I've been using Tomorrow--again on the vet's rec. I pack with gauze soaked in betadine after applying the TorT. Then I wrap with vet wrap/tape overnight. Vet and farrier want him bare part of the day since it is so dry here now.

This is our third month of this. We are down to a 1/2 inch section that Just. Will. Not. Heal. It sometimes bleeds.

The owner, I'm hoping, will get her vet back out so we can see where to go from here. UGH.

I don't think diet or environment is the issue here--he walks on his heel bulbs and has had issues for nearly 15 years with this leg and foot. My farrier says his foot is a nightmare--fix one thing, another will crop up.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Calvine, is this a Cushing's horse? That greatly compromises the immune system and makes things very difficult to heal.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

JB- no Cushings. This old boy's right front is a disaster! He had Coffin bone issues which led to him being nerved many years ago. No rotation, but he walks on his heel. He has bowed the tendon in that leg several times. As a result, he has crushed heels and chronic heel bulb issues. He's barefoot (owner feels a natural trim is the only way to go--she's done every kind of shoeing imaginable). He's mostly sound, very happy and eats, well, like a horse!

This is a persistent infection and he had a lot of his frog excised. I just think Mr. Vet needs to come out and give us a new direction. I'm not sure what to do next to cure this!

Diet? He gets prime Central Oregon orchard/alfalfa mix (free choice), pasture (such as it is here now), soaked BP with rolled oats, rice bran and a PNW-based vitamin/mineral pellet, twice a day. He's shiny and carries excellent weight for a 26 year old, worn-toothed, OTTB.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

sugardine or douse the foot in coppertox.