The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default can only feed 1x a day-putting weight on

My 7yr old TB lives outside 24/7 on a roundbale. The bales are decent, but hay has been an issue in our area this summer, and I'm concerned about winter.

I can make it to the barn 5x a week on average, which is when I feed.

So, my question is, what can I do to put weight on my horse, who definitely needs to gain weight, when I can only grain him 1x a day, 5x a week?

Right now he is on the barn's mixed grain, 1 full scoop. How much is safe to feed at once?

I have some purina and some nutrena products available from TSC and another feed store, and I'm looking into weight building supplements.

Any help would be appreciated!

Wow that sounds like a recipe for disaster. Is there no one else that can make sure he gets fed at least once per day? I wouldn't even begin to know how to answer your question, sorry.

No he's on outdoor board. I am looking for some advice on how to make the best of the situation, not be told its a disaster?

Yes, you can put on weight.

The question is - can you put on enough weight.

You are limited to about 5lb for the feeding, which is the issue. This means you'll need that feed to be as high in calories as possible without sacrificing nutrition. You might try Purina Ultium for this.

I've heard good things about that! I will call and find out if anyone carries it anymore locally.

Could I add weight supplements to my feeding since I can only feed so much? What is good out there? I've never used weight supplements before (luckily!) so I'm woefully uneducated on them.

I would try Purina Amplify, if you are going to use a Purina product. It has 30% fat, so it will pack the most calories in the least amount of grain. If I were you, I would mix some sort of ration balancer with the amplify to make sure he gets all his nutrients and protein. Both the ration balancer and the amplify only call for 1-2 pounds per day, so the total amount of grain won't be too high. You could also add rice bran oil or something similar for extra non-grain calories.

How much time do you spend at the barn? Can you do a small meal when you arrive and one when you leave?

The problem with a ration balancer is its calories combined with its nutrition. You're still limited to about 5lb (though you could probably get away with 6 if it was very largely forage-based). 5lb of most grain products will get the nutrition needed, assuming the forage isn't just crap. So you really wouldn't want to add a RB on top of that. But 4lb of a feed and 1lb of RB is more nutrition, but not as many calories as 5lb of the feed.

The idea of a small meal when you get there, then the bigger one after riding/working/etc, is great. You could easily feed a couple of pounds of alfalfa pellets while you are tacking up. At about 3c/lb, the volume is not high, so could pretty easily be eaten in 20 minutes or so, most horses.

Or, you could get away with, say, 2lb of his grain when you get there, and then another 4 or so, when you finish work, assuming you have the time.

And is he by himself or does he have competition for food from other horses?
    I should also add that my horse gets about 6lbs of food per feeding but he's also 17H+.

I love the idea of feeding before and after riding. I thought about this but was concerned about feeding right before riding.

I can spend an extra 15 minutes at the barn for him to eat no problem.

So I should try maybe alfalfa pellets pre-ride, then grain after? I will spend this weekend going around and seeing what is available.

I'm also trying to see if any of the young girls at the barn want to make a little extra $$ and feed for me on the days I can't make it out.

You will be fine feeding a smaller meal before you ride, especially if it's alfalfa pellets. You can add some fat to them to up the calories, too.

I always ride after feeding (my horse gets alfalfa pellets, beet pulp and a ration balancer).

I've been using Purina Amplify to help put weight on my horse and it's been working well but you can also just add oil. Sure, it's messy but it's a cheap source for calories.

I vote for finding someone to feed him the other days. I'm in a co-op barn and we all mix our grain in bags for the other boarders making it it super easy to feed. (That's why I use Amplify. You can't add oil to the baggies!)
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Yes. You can definitely add fat onto your feeding program. Also, make sure he has good teeth and no ulcer. A healthy horse should be able to keep decent weight on good hay alone unless he is being ridden very hard.

I will also give him Probios to help him digest food better, maybe two three times a week.

Weather and individual depending I think Gloria. Just making a blanket statement like "a healthy horse can keep weight on with just hay" isn't telling the whole story. And even the best of hay will be deficient in some vital nutrients. Vit e is an example. If all healthy horses not in hard work didn't need feed, life would be simple. I agree food can be overdone but hay alone does not work for many.

I'm also going to agree with the others in that pre mixing and asking a trusted person to feed for you is going to help an awful lot. I mean you do state yourself, 5 days on average so some weeks are less.

Good luck
    Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Quote Originally Posted by NErider View Post
    I love the idea of feeding before and after riding. I thought about this but was concerned about feeding right before riding.
    2lb of alfalfa pellets is not a concern at all. You don't pull him off grass/hay for an hour before you ride, do you?

So I should try maybe alfalfa pellets pre-ride, then grain after?
    Perfect. Start there, with the post-ride feeding, and if you just can't get enough calories into him, see if he'll take 1/2-1c of oil with his alfalfa pellets.

I'm also trying to see if any of the young girls at the barn want to make a little extra $$ and feed for me on the days I can't make it out.
    That would be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    A healthy horse should be able to keep decent weight on good hay alone unless he is being ridden very hard.
    Not true. Metabolisms vary by a lot.

I will also give him Probios to help him digest food better, maybe two three times a week.
    If he's healthy, this isn't really necessary. Many feeds also contain pro/prebiotic type ingredients as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    A healthy horse should be able to keep decent weight on good hay alone unless he is being ridden very hard.
    OP wrote that she has a TB. The three that I've owned (including my current one) would be skin and bones if they only had hay. I feed free choice hay and it doesn't provide enough calories.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

A couple pounds of alfalfa cubes or pellets, some oil and even a few ounces of ground flax make a good meal. Feed it when you first arrive, then use the time to get out your tack and groom in the stall while he's eating. The timing will work out fairly close. I keep a box of disposable gloves handy to mix this. Simple.

Then another meal as you leave.

Share board, for your horses sake.

He needs to be looked after on the other two days, fed and looked over, lightly ridden and socialized with, and fed.

Well, I didn't mean it a blanket statement that "all" horses should be able to maintain weight on hay alone. That is obviously not the case. Of course some horses are harder to maintain.

I feed grains to my horses so I'm not saying grains are not necessary.

What I am wondering is, carbohydrate is a major weight building block so when providing free choice hay and a horse in his prime age in moderate workout still cannot maintain decent weight, I'd start looking at potential reasons, apart from adding more grain.

Many horses don't have enough decent gut flora to digest hay effeciently, and if that is the case, probios will be a good option to add. By the way, some forms of prebiotic do not seem to help much. The one I use that give me very good result is the tube Probios.

This is really something else for OP to think of, in addition to the obvious answer of adding more grain that is.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    2lb of alfalfa pellets is not a concern at all. You don't pull him off grass/hay for an hour before you ride, do you?

Perfect. Start there, with the post-ride feeding, and if you just can't get enough calories into him, see if he'll take 1/2-1c of oil with his alfalfa pellets.

That would be awesome
    I pull a horse off pasture an hour before I ride also don't ride till an hour after a hay feeding of 5 lbs..........I find it uncomfortable to ride on a full stomach and kinda thought they would too!

Dalemma