The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Non quality pellets - should I feed them?

Here is the situation..

I board at a full care barn. I've been there for about 5 years now. No complaints, but I'm starting to wonder if my feeding routine makes sense.

Feed and hay are included in the board. However, you have to feed their feed or buy your own and make baggies if you want to feed something else. The hay is decent, but I usually buy a bale or two of really good hay and supplement it in.

The barn feeds Country Acres pellet. No offense to anyone who uses this but It does not seem like the highest quality feed.
    http://www.lumber2.com/Country-Acres.../pm0041940.htm

So I buy Fibergize (Ultium in the past) and I make big ziplock bags with a scoop of fibergize and 3/4 scoop of the pellets the barn supplies.

Why do I do this? Because I'm frugal. I can't stand to not use any of the "free" feed provided by the barn. But both of my horses have been thoroughbreds, so they definitely need more fat and other ingredients that are lacking in the Country Acres.

Do you all think I'm doing more harm than good by adding the pellets as a "filler"? Would I be better off just feeding the sweet feed? I also give them beet pulp and alfalfa mix/cubes, but that is only once a day when I come out in the afternoons.

I'm always trying to add as many calories as possible and of course keeping my expenses down as much as possible.. would you continue adding in the free pellets?

I don't think at 3/4 of a scoop they are getting much anyways, what is the weight of 3/4 a scoop?? The feeding recommendations from the link was up to 1 pound feed for every 100 pounds of body weight. At 12% it equals most stock type sweet feeds and if I were you I would keep using it. I am frugal too and if I am paying for it I will use it!!

I'm not sure of the weight. They let you use as much of their feed as you would like.

My scoop of Fibergized is about 1.75lbs. So that ends up 3.5 lbs of sweetfeed a day. (this is just based on the fact I go through a little more than a bag every 2 weeks).

If you do a search for Country Acres feed on here, you're not going to find anyone who speaks well of this feed. It is a product made by Purina and is considered their lowest grade, maintenance only, feed. However, I doubt if throwing some in with what you are buying that is good quality feed, will hurt anything. Probably just adds a few more calories.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

I guess I should also ask everyone's opinion on the Country Acres pellets nutritional info (for a young TB in work)? When I first moved my horse there I thought it was crap. But now looking at it I see it is low in fat, but otherwise looks like a normal pellet - Thoughts?

I wouldn't...I would increase the quality feed or add in beet pulp/alfalfa pellets.

I am certain the nutrition gurus here will vehemently disagree with me, but experience has taught me that many horses do just dandy on low end feed. The key is GRASS and GOOD HAY. And lots of it.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Thanks..

So i think the general consensus is that especially if I'm feeding other feed there should be no harm in continuing to add the not so great free pellets?