The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Platinum Performance: yes? no? maybe?

One of my boarders works at a vet clinic and a Platinum Performance rep gave a presentation recently.
    My boarder seemed very interested in Platinum after the rep was there and was telling me how "great" Platinum is. She was talking about how they use human grade ingredients, how you can feed Platinum and just hay, how horses think it tastes great, how it's stored in temp. controlled warehouses, how horses just thrive on it, etc.
    I've done some of my own research on Platinum and while it seems like a great product, I'm just not sure it's worth the cash. Right now my horses are on Triple Crown grains, flaxseed, and various joint supps, along with high quality hay/grass, and they look great. All the horses at the barn have soft, glossy coats, great hooves, even dapples! I just don't see a reason to switch.
    I told my boarder this and she went on to mention how by the time commercial grains reach the consumer the grain has already lost a significant portion on its nutritional value. She also added that commercial grains are high in omega 6's, low in omega 3's which I already knew, but it got me thinking, if I could feed Platinum to make up for some of the grain I feed, wouldn't that be better for the horses?
    Now I'm wondering if it could be worth it?
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

For a while I have been feeding flax seed, rice bran, and beetbulp to my mare and she was doing nicely but a few people highly recommended platinum performance and after much deliberation, I bought a tub. First off, I have never seen a supplement work so quickly and so well. It really does work, my horse picked up weight and looked really healthy. really, really liked it.
    however, its really hard to look at the ingredients and see the first two be rice bran and flax seed, what she already gets. What I liked most about the trial was the riding portion and now that my bucket of platnium just ran out I will continue her on my flax seed/rice bran plan which worked well, but I feed more flax seed (my scoop was not as big as the platnium scoop) and I am looking for a general joint supplement to go with that.
    however if I do the math and find that a separate joint supplement and flax seed (rice bran is supplied by the barn) is more expensive daily, I will for sure go back to platnium.

I know several horses who've had various skin issues (chronic scratches, rainrot, etc) over the years whose skin issues have completely cleared up with PP. That alone makes it worthwhile for their owners!

isn't it just a flax based mult supplement?

much like Glanzen?
    http://horsetech.com/glanzen.htm

I used it about 5 years ago. I did get one tub that was NOT climate controled and had gone sour. The flax smelled RANK. So I returned it easily.
    So that bit about climate control is hog-wash.

I won't use it due to the price and the serving size is big..as are a lot of those poweder flax based supplements.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I am a huge platinum performance fan. My horses have been on it for almost 5 years. My older TB gelding is a very hard keeper and when I started the Platinum he picked up weight and energy. He still shows in the lower level jumpers at age 22! One of my paints had terrible skin allergies, hives etc and once I started him on platinum his allergies became less frequent and are almost non existent.
    I pulled my 2 younger horses off it for about 2 months and put them on a reg multi vitamin and coat supplement. Their coats were not as good, and their overall energy etc was not what it was on platinum . I put them back on it and they bloomed.
    I do have them on good quality hay and grain as well but I do think the platinum is worth the cost.

Quite like it. I've been using it since it came out. My elderly horses look fantastic at age 26 and 28.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I have been using Platinum CJ since July and my horse bloomed in 2 weeks. I have been able to cut back on grain, feed more hay and he is very happy. He looks very fit and his topline has improved, too.

I should at that PP's customer service is really good, too.

Would you guys mind telling me what you were feeding/how much before you went on platinum, and what you were/are feeding while on the platinum.

The reason I ask is because I feel like my horses are already "blooming" on the current diet they have, all of them have dapples, so I'd just like to know if those of you that saw improvement had a high quality diet before platinum.

My old TB does have some skin issues, he also has chronic lymphangitis (2 flare ups so far) so I would be interested in seeing if the Platinum would clear up his skin issues.

Thanks for the info everyone! Hopefully some more people will chime in too.
    come what may

I used it for awhile (maybe a year?) a few years ago. I liked it but didn't see anything about it that was miraculous or stupendous enough to warrant the price over another flax based vit/min supp as they claim. It sounds like your program is working well, and PP by itself (+ hay) is not going to be enough calories for the vast majority of horses if they're in a training program or ridden on a regular basis. For a fatty air fern maybe, but PP is not going to replace all your TC feeds, or probably do much more than add $$ in your situation, IMO.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I have two air ferns, so for them I think the PP may be a good option. I have two older TBs too, so for them I feel like I would be feeding almost the same amount of grain.
    I'm also not sure that PP would meet my easy keepers vit/min needs as well as a ration balancer.
    come what may

Thumbs up

I have a hard keeper and I have tried *everything* over the years. PP is the one thing that works. My vet says that they put theh research into it to make sure it has high bio-availability. Wanted to try the smart pak version but not sure about how it compares. My other horses get PP too and I've ended up feeding a lot less grain. Really high quality product, but expensive.

hmm....these reviews are making it tempting for me to try it on the 28 year old retired appendix hard keeper mare I just adopted.

For what it's worth, my TB mare evented and was training/prelim fit on hay and PP (half grass, half alfalfa).

I think it came out when she was 15 or so; she's 26 now. At that time, she was starting to get white hairs in her coat. They went away after we started the PP.

She is getting white hairs this year... but this spring I was using her for a 4H demo on body scoring, and I casually asked them to assess her age. They guessed she was 11.

I fed her two scoops when she was competing. She's been retired and down to one now for several years, but I am thinking I will start riding her again soon and put her back up to two.

If your vet can get it for you, that can sometimes be less expensive than having it shipped from Platinum, because then you're not paying shipping on each 25 lb bucket as a single parcel.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Big Platinum Performance Fan here, but I use the CJ for arthritic hocks. I can't say my horse "bloomed" on the PP, however the joint stuff in the CJ clearly helped my horse immensely. It was recommended to me by my vet who is a top lameness vet in the area, and he stated that Platinum Perf products were the only ones he felt 100% comfortable recommending...that they were "that good".

We ran out of the CJ for about a week and the difference in my horse's movement was MORE than noticeable. I will never let that happen again.

Thanks for the info everyone. It's nice to know people feel they see a difference on the CJ, thats what I want to put my QH on.
    come what may

It is a high quality product for sure. And I had good results. That said - not sure if was good enough to justify the costs. I had several on it. All were on 2 scoops a day.

Coats were definitely good. One mare's legs were definitely tighter (less fluid) while on it - probably due to Omega 3s. Good muscle/toplines.

I did switch one to the SmartPak "generic" PP and saw same results as on PP. SmartPak's version runs $35.00 I think.

I ended up switching them because I felt it (PP) was a bit lacking in Copper and the cost versus benefits. I also switched all of mine to Smartpaks, so only use supps now that they carry. Just my opinion, but I think you can get all the benefits of it with a combo of SmartOmega3 and a multivit - I personally use SmartVite.

The customer service of PP was definitely outstanding though!

What specific Triple Crown products are you using? You said Grains, but I don't know if your really mean grains, or their pelleted feeds.

I have my easy keepers on tc 30%, my TBs on TC Senior + alfalfa pellets. So pellets, not actual "grains".

I'm just trying to justify the costs of this supplement. I like the CJ for my easy keeper because he also has some joint issues, but the cost just makes me cringe and say it's not worth it. I would put him on Adequan but I really hate giving shots.
    come what may

I got a free bucket of it to try. I fed it to my gelding who has some skin issues, is grey and doesn't tend to get shiney. Figured he would be a good one to try it on.

It did a big fat nothing.

Tried my mare on it for a week and had to take her off because of the soy. She lost her marbles. So it was just the gelding for 2 months or so. He got the whole 10lb bucket to himself.

SmartOmega3 is fabulous though. Add either SmartVite or SmartHoof to it, depending on the rest of the diet, and it's much better and cheaper.

For the price PP charges, it should have made some kind of difference. So not worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance_Solo View Post
    I have my easy keepers on tc 30%, my TBs on TC Senior + alfalfa pellets. So pellets, not actual "grains".

I'm just trying to justify the costs of this supplement. I like the CJ for my easy keeper because he also has some joint issues, but the cost just makes me cringe and say it's not worth it. I would put him on Adequan but I really hate giving shots.
    In that case, I would just add a good joint supplement to the TC30 that the easy keeper is on. If he is picky - maybe pick one that is pelleted. Or you could try Conquer gel or liquid (just personally had really good results with that product).

Anyone know if they will give you a sample to taste test? I have a picky eater.

The two horses I've thought about switching...

28 y/o perpetually slightly underweight TB, sunken back, no topline, lots of issues including an old fracture. Just had SI injected. Currently on Uckele Tri-Amino and Smartflex Senior.

14 y/o FEI dressage horse, in good weight on less than recommended amount of Ultium. Currently on SmartVite Performance, Smarthoof Ultra, and Smartflex Repair + Adequan and Map5 (won't eat Tri-Amino or Cosequin ASU) These three come out to $124 per month or so, so I could do the PP CJ for only $10 extra if its actually worth it.