The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is it getting dark early where you live?

Waaaa
    After my lesson last night I realized how quickly the sun was going down. I took my horse up to his paddock and it was nearly dark! One of my favorite parts of the day is after my ride when i take my horse up to his paddock (which looks over a beautiful valley and I pretend it's Tuscany ) , crack open my happy hour cheap mini wine bottle and groom him at sunset, feeling pleased with the day.
    Soon it will be dark when I leave the office.
    Booo.
    Fall is pretty but I hate the onset of winter!

It's not only getting dark early, it's staying dark later in the morning. I've lived in a couple of different parts of the country and I've never seen such steep changes as we have in Washington. I think it makes sense -- our shortest day is very short (shorter than average, I'm nearly 100% sure) and same thing with our longest day (longer than average) so doesn't it stand to reason that the day-to-day changes would have to be greater so that we can get from highest to lowest and back?

Anyway, it never seems to be gradual. One day out of the blue I'll realize it is MUCH darker when I get up, or when I come in from chores at night. Luckily/happily the same thing is true in the spring -- I'm just as apt to "suddenly" notice that it's staying lighter.

My hibernation instincts are kicking in. Eat a LOT and go to sleep for several months? Those bears have the right idea!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

Im doing a lot of night riding. I spent a good bit of time memorizing the trails, groundhog holes, ditches, etc,getting my horses to know the trails too --- planning for this time of year.
    This week is great to be out, moon (est) rising tonight at 8pm and a 1/2hr later each night through Sat. Heres complete sun and moon data :
    http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

Still warm here, so its the last of summer at best.
    Winter with snow on the ground is even better for night riding!

But, yes, it did seem to come on quck this year, one morning its still lght and the next Im struggling to get up on time, then Im turning on barn lights when I start work!

Think of it this way, Only 97 more days til the days start gettng longer, by feb 1st sun will rise by 7am!
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

I am kind of bummed about this. I just started riding a mare I am growing to like but there is only outdoor riding facilities there. I have been spoiled and never ridden year round at a barn without an indoor so I'll have to get used to riding outside on cold winter days and in the dim light. Curse being spoiled.

I do like it being light out early and late into that day since I feel I can be more productive that way.

LOL
    being from Germany, with the same Latitude as somewhere in Canada....
    Fall really sucks, because when you get near Christmas, the sun does not come up til 8AM (or after) and is down before 5PM...even when I worked in a green house, it felt like I never saw daylight.
    Therefore the summer nights are lovely and long - til 10PM....
    here in Ala-Land....8 PM and it's DARK...but he winter nights are not quiet as long...trade off, moving closer to the equator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

We don't have as much swing in day length here within the tropics, but we do have some. Unfortunately, at equinox next week we will have almost exactly one hour of daylight before my 10 hour work day starts, and one hour after. Since pony loves the mud as an all-natural fly armor, and since it's still raining half the afternoons, and since very little of the outside area here is lit, that all makes riding during the week pretty challenging. Too many things make riding in the pitch dark dangerous around here.

People will think I'm crazy for riding in circles on the road around the pool/guesthousing complex, but we may just have to be crazy anyway.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Yes it is and I love every minute of the dark.

Yes, it is getting dark by 8:05 pm now instead of nearly 8:45pm. It is also starting to get light a little later in the mornings. That's how it works- the days get shorter and the nights get longer after June 21 until Decelber 21.

But what I really hate is when we go off daylight savings time, usually in October, and it suddenly gets dark a whole hour earlier -all of a sudden. I can't stand December when it is almost dark by 4:30 pm.

But then I "love" it in the spring when suddenly we get an additional hour of daylint (just as suddenly) becasue we go back on DST.

Yep, doing evening chores in the dark now. Soon I'll be doing morning chores in the dark too Not enough time to ride both horses after supper now. Horses are getting pretty darn hairy too. Mind you, my dogs sleep past 5/6 am now that the sun isn't up that early, so that's kind of a treat. Not much other benefit that I can see.

It is getting darker earlier here in Ga. but I'm thrilled because it also means it's getting cooler!
    It's been soooo hot here this summer that I have been miserable. I can put on enough clothes to stay warm but 70 year olds just cannot take off enough clothes to be cool. Don't want to scare anyone to death.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I really noticed it yesterday actually. Morning feeding was completely in the dark for the first time in a long time. Not to mention I might need to add a coat to the sexy muckboots and pj's look I have going on.

Went out to lock up the chickens at 8:00pm which has been the usual coop closing time for a while now and it was pitch black.

Yay Fall?

The length of daylight/darkness is changing most rapidly right now because we're near the Autuminal Equinox (Vernal Equinox in the Southern Hemisphere). The day-to-day change is minimal around the Summer and Winter Solstices.

For instance, at my latitude (36-1/2 degrees), daylight tomorrow will be about 2-1/4 minutes shorter than today.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

here in bc there's about 3 hrs less on daylight now...in the start of summer it wasn't dark till 10pm and now as fall approaches its dark by 7.

Nope ... days are getting longer and i'm LOVING IT!!! Loving the +25+C weather and all the sun!

Horses are loving it as well, blankets are coming off and staying off.

Sorry had to comment .. will go back to sitting outside enjoying the lovely weather.

P.

They are definitely getting shorter, but I'm glad it's not so hot down here in GA! We have a lighted arena so its not so bad.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Default YES ! AND FINALLY COOLING DOWN !

YES,,, AND FINALLY COOLING DOWN !

NO FANS !!!!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

It's dark here by 7:30 and it sucks because I have to change my schedule to filling the watertrough in the morning. Of course it doesn't suck as bad as it will when I have to start toting water from the house and bucking whitecrap.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Dark by 7:30 here two deep in Dixie. The only good thing, is now the weather will bee cooler for riding later in the morning.

Yep were getting almost exactly 12 hours from sunrise to sunset now... I'm going to miss it not getting dark until almost 9, but I am not going to miss the heat and dangerous heat indexes we have during the longer days lol.

It is dusk now, will be full dark in about 40 minutes. This is my favorite time of year.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati