The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question For all who have treated for ulcers w/omeprazole - what did you do while waiting...

...for the omeprazole pop rocks to arrive - not literally, sillies - what did you do for your horse in the time between? Use Ulcergard, (if so, at what doesage?), ranitidine, or just wait it out?
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I'm waiting it out right now! But I paid the extra shipping so it would be here more quickly.

I paid extra shipping and it got here in a week. In the meantime, I bought two tubes of Ulcergard and gave him half a tube each day.

I'm just waiting, but the filly in question has been tossed back out to pasture with her buddies so I think she is comfortable. After running over the farrier earlier in the summer, she was in for some remedial manners training, and that was when I saw behaviors that made me think "must order blue pop rocks".
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

ulcerguard, high calcium diet (alfalfa hay) other options i've seen used are 1 cup yogurt in am and pm feed, baking soda directly in feed,

If the horse definitively had ulcers- I'd start with a full syringe of Ulcerguard (a/k/a/ Gastroguard) every day until the pop rocks arrived.

If it's just for maintenance/mild syptoms, I'd probably just feed a buffer like NeighLox until they arrived. Alternatively, you could do 1/4 tube of Ulcerguard a day until they arrive.

I remember reading that a cup of aloe juice mixed into soaked beet pulp can help soothe the stomach lining.(cheapest at Wal-Mart in stomach/digestion remedies area by the pharnmacy)

Mine got a tube of Ulcerguard for a month, then the pop rocks for maintenance.

I had plenty left, so when the other one started showing symptoms, I gave him the preventative dose until my next order arrives.

And I can attest that Aloe juice and alfalfa do help a lot.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I didn't wait - I choked backed the tears as I wrote a big fat check to my vet for a liquid 30-day supply.

Ok, I'm obviously out of the loop. What are pop rocks (besides the kid candy)?
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Tums, alfalfa, no whole grains --used TC Sr. Worked for mine!

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    Ok, I'm obviously out of the loop. What are pop rocks (besides the kid candy)?
    http://equine.omeprazoledirect.com/

So they send you omoprizole in the mail????

OK, I'm now venting.

I suspected ulcers in my mare this summer. She's fat, dominant, not a cribber, and no signs of belly ache. But she became irritated while riding. So I gave her some bute just to see if there was any difference. Because I know her well, the next day I could see that she was "green around the gills". Nobody else would have seen anything wrong, but I did, so I figured it was an ulcer. Went into the local vet clinic (a vet in this new area that we moved to a few years ago). I had previously treated this mare for ulcers when she was racing, the vet at the time just sold me the Omoprizole to try, no problem. So this "new" vet says they can't possibly sell me Omoprizole without seeing the horse. I tell them there is nothing to see, there are no noticable symptoms, just sell me the stuff please. No.

So I went to the pharmacy, and bought Zantac, double strength. Four pills twice a day for a week. Worked like a charm, problem fixed. Cheap too. But I am still angry with this dam vet.

Anyhoo.... for Run For It -- I too have had the ulcer thing going on with Rugby for a long time. He's been with me 10 years. I've Tried. It. All. NO lie. He's a classic ulcer case bec. he's a stall walker. OK so this year, hubby comes home with a racehorse on layup a while and is feeding new feed from track - Buckeye EQ8. Says its supposed to be good for horses with ulcer problems. It's got some cooked feedstuff in it and also probios. Put Rug on it gradually, using some of his previous grain and mixing that in. Didn't really see big results until I switched him over completely.
    For the first time in 10 years this horse puts his nose in the tub and eats it all down. He nickers for grain. He EATS like a horse. This is a horse that NEVER cleaned up his grain! His weight is excellent and the stall walking is way down. I am thinking we've got this darn near licked and for a 10 year stretch -- I'm thinking this is a miracle grain right now. He's been on it 8 months and I'm thrilled with it. Best part -- no omeprazole! Knock on wood. But I learned something -- it's not just the meds, it's the whole picture including the normal ration you have to look at.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I went to Sam's club and bought the generic brand Members Mark omeprazole. My horse would eat them whole right in his grain. I was told to give 10 twice daily. It wasn't great, but it did work about 80% as good as the pop rocks. Th

Quote Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
    So they send you omoprizole in the mail????

OK, I'm now venting.

So this "new" vet says they can't possibly sell me Omoprizole without seeing the horse. I tell them there is nothing to see, there are no noticable symptoms, just sell me the stuff please. No.

So I went to the pharmacy, and bought Zantac, double strength. Four pills twice a day for a week. Worked like a charm, problem fixed. Cheap too. But I am still angry with this dam vet.
    . Why be angry with the vet? If he has never seen your horse he can cannot legally write a script for it. Anyway, from what I have read omaprazole doesnt heal ulcers and provides minimal breakdown of acids because it isn't absorbed well in a horse. If I was in your shoes I would buy ulcergard(no script need) and decide whether to treat for healing for prevention.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Anyway, from what I have read omaprazole doesnt heal ulcers and provides minimal breakdown of acids because it isn't absorbed well in a horse. If I was in your shoes I would buy ulcergard(no script need) and decide whether to treat for healing for prevention.
    What? What you've written doesn't make sense to me.

The active ingredient in UlcerGard is omeprazole. It works by suppressing acid production in a horse's stomach and preventing ulceration.

. Why be angry with the vet? If he has never seen your horse he can cannot legally write a script for it. Anyway, from what I have read omaprazole doesnt heal ulcers and provides minimal breakdown of acids because it isn't absorbed well in a horse. If I was in your shoes I would buy ulcergard(no script need) and decide whether to treat for healing for prevention.
    Vet HAD been to my barn, had not "examined" the horse for this particular problem, but neither had the last vet who sold me the drug no problem, who suggested that I try the drug on verbal consultation.

Just because the other vet prescribed you something without a valid relationship does not mean you should be mad at your vet.

Just because the vet had been to your farm does not necessitate a valid client-patient relationship. The vet was in the right to deny the prescription, whether you like it or not. Had the horse had something else besides ulcers and the vet rx'ed omeprazole, and it didn't get better you'd still be PO'ed AND the vet could be out their license.

You can't call your neighbor's doctor and say you read on WebMD that you have symptoms of a disease and expect them to call in an Rx without seeing you. Doesn't work that way.

Stepping off the soapbox.

I agree, don't bash the Vet. If he or she doesn't know your horse or you for that matter, I can understand their position...

I have also used Sucralfate. Works very well for suspected and diagonsed ulcers...