The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by misita View Post
    I just found this photo on fb. WOW!
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater
    Whoah! That is unbelievable!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daventry View Post
    Goldhills Bradysnap, the Section D Welsh Cob stallion that we have been leasing for several years also has this sheen to his coat. We've got some great photos of it! I've never seen anything like it before....and he looks like this without being groomed and no blankets and it goes all the way down onto his cannon bones and fetlocks. Most days when I got outside to the pasture, he looks like a piece of copper sheet metal

Testosterone - the best coat tonic there is. Most healthy stallions will gleam like sun on ice.

Only select breeds carry/express the satin gene. The majority of stallions pictured in this thread simply have a stallion's coat, which is most always shinier and showier than any gelding or mare. Truly, testosterone is a wonder!

Edited to add that once you've seen a herd of Akhal Tekes in the sun, all different colors, you won't ever confuse the metallic sheen with a healthy, gleaming nonmetallic coat. It is a sight to behold!
    Last edited by JackieBlue; Dec. 9, 2011 at 03:56 PM.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Quote Originally Posted by misita View Post
    I just found this photo on fb. WOW!
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater
    WOW- he doesn't even look real at first glance!

Quote Originally Posted by TrinitySporthorses View Post
    WOW- he doesn't even look real at first glance!
    I know. I thought that too. He's so extrememly extravagant he looks like a statue. Or fantasy horse.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

I have an imported chestnut Trakehner mare with the metallic glow. I'll see if I can find the photos. I own several chestnuts, including a son of this mare, and none are metallic so it cannot be attributed to feed.

Lucy was imported from Germany as a yearling.

She goes back to old East Prussian lines so maybe there is Teke in there.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
    Testosterone - the best coat tonic there is. Most healthy stallions will gleam like sun on ice.

Truly, testosterone is a wonder!

Edited to add that once you've seen a herd of Akhal Tekes in the sun, all different colors, you won't ever confuse the metallic sheen with a healthy, gleaming nonmetallic coat. It is a sight to behold!
    Indeed!! With (some) Tekes it goes to a whole 'nother level. Kinor gleamed just like the stallion in Mista's post...the cremellos & perlinos can really shine.

Truly, they don't look like "real" horses...

It's not always easy to catch on camera, however...and the photographers did a good job in that pic.

This is the best one I have of Kinor regarding the gleam:
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/27066...04425996ObldSO

Default What Color?

So what color is this horse:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kerri-jo/3674421214/ ?

Sooty palomino?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    So what color is this horse:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kerri-jo/3674421214/ ?

Sooty palomino?
    Liver Chesnut.

I love that picture of Kinor. So elegant!
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

Personally, I think he is bay or buckskin, but its hard to tell. I don't think he is chestnut however. His sire is black and his dam is buckskin...
    Visit MW Equine!
    Raven Beauty - '08 JC Thoroughbred mare
    Zeecandoit - '07 JC Thoroughbred gelding
    DBT My Dark Blue - '07 AHA Arabian Mare

Buckskin I think.

I've seen several arabians (mostly chestnut) that had a sheen like that (beyond good diet and grooming), but not quite so metallic as the Teke lol.
    "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

Agree, not liver. My guess is sooty buckskin or smoky brown

Default Metallic coats

I found a photo of Lucy that shows her metallic coat. Look at the photo in my blog. It is obvious to me in the area of her shoulder.
    Otherwise you see two shiny horses.

With Lucy's coat, it definitely reflects light, so has a pinkish silver reflection.

(The foal is my miracle baby. Lucy's cervix would not open and he was pulled out with chains. The mare almost didn't make it either.)

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Agree, not liver. My guess is sooty buckskin or smoky brown
    Yeah, my guess would be sooty BS as well. Tekes are big into sooty.

He's one of Tito Pontecorvo's stallions, but I'm not sure if he's hear in TX or over in Russia.

He's a handsome boy, that's for sure (if you like Tekes)

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    My mare who was Czech (back to Kinskey) had the sheen.
    If she has kinsky in her, then she has akhal teke in her as well since the kinsky breed used akhal tekes in the original "mix".

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    As a Teke breeder, I can say on Tekes that the hair is actually constructed differently from "normal" horsehair.
    It is different.

My homebred half-Teke half-TB has a very different coat -- in appearance and feel -- than her TB mother or her two half-sisters (a full TB and a mostly TB/DWB cross). Zizi's hair is short and fine but dense. And shiny. You can sort of see it here, but it really doesn't do it justice.

She doesn't really grow a winter coat at all and dirt/mud doesn't stick to her.

Our Teke grows a winter coat, short thick and dense and whilst it still has a metalic sheen to it in winter in direct light it's much less apparent than in summer. Our Czech cremello has a glistening brilliantly shiney coat too but it doesn't compare to the metalic shimmer of a Teke. The refraction of light through the hollow hair is enhanced. It also absorbs the colours like a mirror that surround them so when taking photos they can appear green, blue, yellow etc.

Winter:

http://www.solaris-sport-horses.co.uk/kambarbay/

Summer:

http://www.solaris-sport-horses.co.uk/Kambarbay/

Not a "gene" but I suppose having to do with testosterone, a lot of stallions have a "Sheen" to them. I have a red dun QH who looked like bronze he was so metallic looking. My appaloosa stallion, altho mostly white, has quite a sheen to his coat. But this is common among many males, particularly birds

Quote Originally Posted by L&L View Post
    Our Teke grows a winter coat, short thick and dense and whilst it still has a metalic sheen to it in winter in direct light it's much less apparent than in summer. Our Czech cremello has a glistening brilliantly shiney coat too but it doesn't compare to the metalic shimmer of a Teke. The refraction of light through the hollow hair is enhanced. It also absorbs the colours like a mirror that surround them so when taking photos they can appear green, blue, yellow etc.

Winter:

http://www.solaris-sport-horses.co.uk/kambarbay/

Summer:

http://www.solaris-sport-horses.co.uk/Kambarbay/
    Wow, beautiful horse. Great action shots too.

It's attributed to the "satin" gene, which I believe exists, at least similarly, in rabbits (?). The hair shaft is hollow, allowing for that great play of light. The Tekes are obviously well known for it, but not all have it, and some non-Tekes have it as well.

It IS different from just a good shiny coat, and whatever role testosterone has for stallions.