The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Jingles for Toby (and probably even more so, me)

I thought we were on the home stretch.

After the debacle that was Toby's cut and subsequent secondary issues from a bad bandage rub, etc, he came sound late last week and I got two good rides on him. Yay! I thought. Marlborough (and Morven, and Waredaca, and Rubicon), here we come!

Saturday morning I arrived at the barn to find the boss in Toby's stall giving him a quick dose of Ace. Turns out when everyone went out after 4+ days of being locked up because of rain and flooding, he went bananas and our guy decided he didn't want to be responsible for him. Fair enough, not uncommon, and a little Ace goes a long way to take the edge off of Toby. As the drugs kick in, I decide to stick him in his bell boots and some brushing boots, just in case...as I'm putting the boots on I notice some fill in his left tendon(NOT the one we've been dealing with). My immediate reaction is "S**T." I take a deep breath, knowing that his skin and legs have been doing odd things for days because of all the bandaging, and the night before had been his first naked night in almost two weeks.

A few hours later, when I brought him into ride, the fill was still there and it was hot and angry. Double S**T. He was lame (2 out of 5?) at the trot.

He sees the vet tomorrow morning. I've been cold hosing since Saturday, and have left him in. I'm crushed. The boss keeps talking about hopefully getting "less bad news." We both know one way or the other, it's going to suck for awhile.

We don't know how he did it. The afternoon before, he felt like a million bucks and did a very light w/t/c. He was very silly and naughty, but didn't do anything terribly big or athletic...just plain silly. Absolutely no clue. A few theories, but that's all they are.

So, jingle for him that it is "less bad news" and jingles for me that I don't have a complete and total breakdown. And jingles also for me...I agreed tonight (maybe after one too many beers) to take a client's horse BN to Marlborough since I have an entry ready for the taking....I don't remember the last time I jumped that mare!!

Dang. Bandage bow, possibly, coming slowly to the surface? Ultrasound should tell the tale.
    Click here before you buy.

YB,
    Jingling away for you and your boy.

The one thing that you can count on with horses is that you cannot count on them staying safe and/or well.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Default JUST JINGLES & AO FOR ALL !!!

Jingles and AO for ALL !!!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Dang. Bandage bow, possibly, coming slowly to the surface? Ultrasound should tell the tale.
    Maybe. We've run through a few scenarios. A friend, talking me off the cliff on Saturday afternoon, suggested cellulitis and had me take his temp. No temp. At least ultrasound will hopefully give us a clue as to what kind of injury it is (strike? Twist? Speed?).

*sigh* At least Toby is a highly amusing character to live with. I got the brilliant idea to take him down to the creek to "soak" his legs this afternoon. Well, my wellies got filled with water and he decided to throw "Toby's Wet T-Shirt Contest" and SOAKED me to the skin, head to toe, by pawing and trying to roll. Ass. (I laughed...It was pretty funny. We won't do it again, though ).

At least all you got was a soaking. My 'injured' pony broke my nose and now I am on injured reserve and she is just peachy
    Don't you just love it? We are all concerned about their well being and they are all like "lets have fun Mom"

Jingles for Toby and hope he heals quickly!!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Adding jingles and prayers. How frustrating!!!

Keep us all posted...

and ha ha.. I had to laugh at the wet t-shirt part silly boys....

Bummer! Sending jingles your way.

Jingles your way for a simple outcome!

Prayers and jingles and a dry t-shirt for you. Why is it when we are trying our best to help, we get the short end of the stick! This spring I had a very pregnant, wet pony roll in the run in shed and cast herself. Luckily I was in the barn cleaning and heard the noise. I ran out, grabbed a back leg and tried to turn her over. Once, twice and the third time was a charm, for the mare that is. I had so much momentum that when she turned over I flew backwards into the mud. At least it was nice of her to walk around me as I lay there!

Hope it is something simple and you and your boy are back on track very soon..
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Jingles for the both of you. And if you want a DRY t-shirt, come to West TX.....!
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Oh, boy. What these horses put us through! Oy, and ugh, and

Fingers crossed for you and Toby, I know you must be sweating it out right now, and imagining all the "worst-case scenarios." As my wise husband always says, "horses are a headache and a heartache" (how I hate it when he's right!) I hope for your sake that this is merely a headache, and that it proves to be nothing serious...please keep us posted!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Sending many jingles from California and hope you and Toby will be back on track for your next round of adventures!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

So sorry to hear. It's always when you just think you're out of the woods . . .

Good luck, I hope it is one of the less serious outcomes. Keep us posted! And good luck at the HT.

Jingling for you both!! Keep us posted!

Jingles for Toby and for you, YB. Awaiting an update!
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Any Toby update?
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Jingles for the little goofball! At least he's not depressed!

More jingles! Hope the news is okay and you're on the road to recovery!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

lots of jingles. Hoping for the best
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!