The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leasing out TB mare for breeding, experiences

Just looking for some info, the good bad and ugly about leasing out my TB mare while on deployment...as a broodmare. She is a maiden mare.....is it easier to just sell, or free lease....any info would be helpful.

Thanks

http://www.pedigreequery.com/ms+era

PM me if needed, don't want to start a war.....

I have leased mares from people a couple of times and provide excellent care. However, I have also heard horror stories of mares in very bad shape. If you are attached and want her back when you get home, you should try the lease route. I would find someone you trust that is willing to check on her periodically, though. Have a carefully written lease contract too.
    Also, you may have a tough time finding someone who wants a breeding lease with an unproven mare right now.
    From my perspective, I was getting mares I wanted for just 1 (or more) seasons without a longterm (lifelong) commitment, which is why leasing appealed to me.

I'm on the other end and will probably try to lease a mare within the next two years, but I will be looking for a 16 hand + hunter-type mare with either a show or offspring show record, who is already approved with the registry I want. I have some tight specifics, but I think I will be able to find her too. It seems like there are a lot of broodmares to choose from.

Honestly, if I were you and I couldn't be there to monitor her, I would probably try to sell or offer at least offer both options.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I can tell you my experience. I had a lovely mare who was MMB for Isr/Old and also GOV. I had a lovely foal from her and then contacted a breeder who I was told might be interested in her. She did not have a use for her but put me in contact with someone who had lost their full term in foal mare with similar lines in a freak accident. Long story short, I had the mare inseminated with their choice of semen at their cost as the foal was still nursing, and maintained the mare at my cost until baby was weaned. After weaning I hauled the mare to her new home. She was on a free breeding lease with option to purchase, but if returned she would breed the mare to my choice of stallions at her cost.

She did purchase the mare and as far as I know has been happy with her, it has been quite a few years.

The important aspects being that the mare was approved and scored well, the contract was detailed as to care and responsibility and there was money to be exchanged in the case of a negligent death of the mare.

In your case, I would try to have a friend check on her on occasion and be sure to check out the facilities in person too.

Ok, IMO you might have trouble placing this mare in a lease as a broodmare unless she has an excellent show record. Even very nice mares (show records, excellent pedigrees) are being offered for very reasonable or free breeding leases or left open right now due to the economy.

Leasing a horse as a broodmare is also tricky as I've seen people drop their standard of care just a little too low on horses that stand in fields (like broodmares). I've also seen people new to breeding horses realize the economic futility of it after they have gotten into it, at which point they suddenly want to stop spending money on an animal that needs ongoing care.

Even with a detailed contract, if you are out of the area it will be difficult for you to follow up on and enforce the terms should things fall apart. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd probably try to sell the horse.

Ontario <Living life for the journey not the destination>

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHoney View Post
    Ok, IMO you might have trouble placing this mare in a lease as a broodmare unless she has an excellent show record. Even very nice mares (show records, excellent pedigrees) are being offered for very reasonable or free breeding leases or left open right now due to the economy.

Leasing a horse as a broodmare is also tricky as I've seen people drop their standard of care just a little too low on horses that stand in fields (like broodmares). I've also seen people new to breeding horses realize the economic futility of it after they have gotten into it, at which point they suddenly want to stop spending money on an animal that needs ongoing care.

Even with a detailed contract, if you are out of the area it will be difficult for you to follow up on and enforce the terms should things fall apart. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd probably try to sell the horse.
    I agree with this.

You might find her a fabulous home to lease her to, but if you can not be around to check up on her, I'd be worried. IF you do lease her out, call the persons vet, farrier and clients who have dealt with her on more than one occasion. If any questions arise or anything does not match up, walk away and find a new person. OR place her with someone where you have a good friend that might be able to check up on the mare.

Either way... I wish you the best of luck in finding her a suitable home.
    http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com

Join us on FACEBOOK
    Living life for the journey, not the destination.