The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Not again, Eventingnation

Once again the site hits a new low with Coren Morgan's "Tuesday links" item, which includes a link to Serena Williams' tantrum at the U.S. Open. Appalling opening sentence...

Did yo mama ever teach you not to back talk? Certainly Serena Williams' mother didn't. Growing up, talking back to my parents earned a very fine punishment. Soap. In the mouth. In the women's US Open, it sure seemed like Williams' 1) thinks she can talk to whomever, however and 2) doesn't need bar soap, she needs liquid soap. While yelling at the chair umpire, Williams even gave "the point." Now if that isn't a sure way to timeout, I don't know what is. Her punishment? A generous $2000 fine. Probably the equivalent of a 30 minute shopping trip. I'm sure she is really hurting over this one.

Lighten up Eventfan. Coren's off-the-wallness is a breath of fresh air! Was it the "yo mama" that got you cranked up. And before you start in on me, I am extremely "racially sensitive." i'm just bloody sick of self conscious political correctness. I've heard the equivalent of Serena's rant many times while officiating at events.

I saw some really really nice photographs just recently on there without credit to the photogapher . Especially after that thread here on CoTH about that sort of thing about a month ago.

come.on.
    Why do people feel the need to run over here and bitch and moan about someone's BLOG. Far as I can tell, EventFan4Life, you seem to have the most fun just poking sticks. Beef up your resume with actual interesting contribution and content, will ya?

Really people?!?

If you hate the website so much, don't visit it.

Get over it. There is nothing wrong with what she said. Maybe it shouldn't have been the opener, because it is an eventing website, but other then that, what's the big deal?

We seem to have an awful lot of posters that need to focus on themselves and what they are accomplishing (or, not accomplishing), instead of trying to show how important they are by calling others out on a public BB.

Seriously... go ride or do something constructive.

Yep, just as I thought. She knows her audience.

BP, the really nice photos you saw without credit are because they were taken by the blogger (Samantha or ESJ), who are part of EN staff. No need to twist your undies again, no professional photographer has been taken advantage off. Good grief!!

Eventfan, I don't suppose you read The Onion either, do you? You should stick to WSJ, NYT and the likes for your news if you cannot enjoy lightness in blogs. Yes, I am part of "her audience".

I think that's why EN is referred to as a BLOG. Hmm.

And I believe the majority of the photos taken and posted on EN are property of Samantha Clark (ie the Burghley photos). But perhaps you'd like to send an email to John saying that Samantha needs to make herself a watermark to be displayed under every photo, even when she posts photos of all 82 horses in the Burghley blog.
    "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
    www.useaiv.org

Eventfan4Life, I appreciate the feedback. I didn't find it to be Coren's funniest work, but I felt that the point of lightly criticizing a pro athlete for being unsportsmanlike wasn't a bad message to send and I certainly think it was well within the bounds of humor. Coren has certainly been twice as harsh mocking me in posts countless times before and it's all in good fun. Serena has yelled and sworn at judges many times before on national TV in front of thousands of watching children. We don't make any representation that we will be serious or dry, and if that doesn't suit you, then you are of course free to find your eventing news, commentary, and ridiculousness elsewhere.

BaroquePony, we have been incredibly careful about photographs. We are not required and do not post credits on any photos that I take personally or on some photos that Samantha and ESJ take. There have been hundreds of these on EN lately, which could be causing your confusion. Over the past several months I am proud to say that we have instituted a completely strict photograph policy that includes checks and double-checks of photographs.

Default Yup this

Quote Originally Posted by J3D1 View Post
    Eventfan4Life, I appreciate the feedback. I didn't find it to be Coren's funniest work, but I felt that the point of lightly criticizing a pro athlete for being unsportsmanlike wasn't a bad message to send and I certainly think it was well within the bounds of humor.
    Good for EN, i appreciate them trying to set an example aboutsportsmanship....using an example other than someone in eventing.

As for the photos...ya'll could be pros!

I typically don't read EN - okay, more like "never read it", but as I agree 110% with what this person just blogged, I may have to start!!!

As for how she opened - "yo mama" has been around for at least the past 35 years that I can recall by kids of all races around here (and we're pretty well mixed) - so methinks someone just wants to get her panties in a bundle.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

I saw the title of this thread and the first thing that popped into my mind was, "Not again EventingNation? I think, 'Not again, COTH!' would be more fitting.."

Seriously, if you/me/we/whoever wants to comment on something EN publishes, why not take it to them or comment on their blog?
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

I thought someone was going to be upset about using the term ginger, not about the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Carried Away View Post
    Really people?!?

If you hate the website so much, don't visit it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherShotEventing View Post
    I saw the title of this thread and the first thing that popped into my mind was, "Not again EventingNation? I think, 'Not again, COTH!' would be more fitting.."

Seriously, if you/me/we/whoever wants to comment on something EN publishes, why not take it to them or comment on their blog?
    Seriously! I don't know what's with everyone lately, but Lord have mercy! I'm hardly sweet and sugary and have been known to make some pretty snarky comments, but a lot of people on here lately are putting my snarkiness to shame!!!

Go pat your ponies, people...it makes me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by J3D1 View Post
    Serena has yelled and sworn at judges many times before on national TV in front of thousands of watching children.
    Many times? Not sure about that.

If you're talking about the US Open in 2009, that line judge deserved every word of it and more. Seriously, if that happened to me (and I used to play), I'd still be out there yelling.

(I don't know what happened to that official. I was hoping they'd investigate her for match-fixing -- tennis has some very troubling betting issues, mostly in Russia -- and that call was one odd way to throw a match.)

So as not to be too OT, I like seeing tennis and references to other sports on EN. No need for us to be so exclusive. And right now, we should all be paying attention to the rugby World Cup, because (1) rugby is a real sport unlike American football and (2) Zara Phillips will be there, cheering on her husband, who, in addition to being Mr. Zara Phillips, is also the captain of England's rugby team.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    And right now, we should all be paying attention to the rugby World Cup, because (1) rugby is a real sport unlike American football and (2) Zara Phillips will be there, cheering on her husband, who, in addition to being Mr. Zara Phillips, is also the captain of England's rugby team.

mmmmmmmm. rugby players.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Wow, some people can get offended by anything.