The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My freshly cut hay is getting rained on...sigh!

I check weather saturday, zero chance of rain until friday, sunny, temps in upper 80"s forecasted all week. So I call up my neighbor to cut my hay, he cuts sunday morning, was going to ted today. Aaaaand its raining. S. O. A. B. Should be a passing shower, not pouring, but still... Sooo... someone come on here and tell me it will be ok, please. Kinda stressed about it since it will be the last cut this year.

It will be okay, probably. You'll have to rake it a few more times, and let it dry back out, and it might lose a little bit of it's quality....but it should turn out edible, provided you have a few dry days!

It might be ok. If it didn't get very wet. I've had that happen before I'm either praying for rain, or praying it doesn't rain.

Ya, now it has gone from a shower to a storm with thunder and lightning. Grrr!!! Stupid @ss weather man!!!!!

happens. If it's not too much rain and dries quickly it should be fine. Not as good as without rain, but still good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Be sure to turn it, and turn it once it starts to dry. It will dry faster and uniformly and reduce the chance of mold.

Turning it will reduce its quality too but better than having it mold.

We used to live in Blacksburg VA and remember the hay problems well. Now that we are in OK, it is so different, and easier. We dont' as many cuttings but seldom have a rain issue. Most of the time we can cut today, rake tomorrow and maybe even bale that afternoon.

Does anyone know why exactly it is that hay is less nutritious when it gets rained on? Maybe because it has to sit in the field longer? Do the vitamins leach out when it gets wet?

pretty much. I am sure Tamara has the ins and outs about it tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

The hay if rained on lightly (in our part of the world) in the first 24 hours is still considered "fresh hay" as the chemical changes that occur in it have not really stated to get cranked up....at that point it is still "wilted" and not becoming the dried product of hay

if in that window you do not need to do anything special to it and you ted just as you would have on a non rained on hay

now the problems arise when the hay is rained on after the say 36 hour period as the moisture is leaving at a more rapid rate then in the beginning.

at that point in the next 48 hours or so there is a mark...a single place in time when the hay is the highest quality for retained value...

there are 100's of charts and graphs and scientific papers written on this...

miss the mark for any reason and the RFV declines.

Miss the mark to rain and re-tedding after a rain and you have lost volume and the eye appeal that horse hay buyers live and die on...

re tedd it three times and now you have a 0 eye appeal ,2/3 the volume gone and the RFV is shot to hell...at that point it is your grounds organic matter...

which MUST be decomposed before the next cutting (for us 4-6 weeks and 4 times a year) or the rake comes along next time and rakes dead matter** into your hay...

then AGAIN you have lost you r RFV and your eye appeal from the rained on hay from the cutting before.

**setting a rake is a science by itself and not left to the weak minded :>

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.