The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default what to do about running next couple of weeks...

I am so frustrated and need some opinions on what to do. I havent competed a whole lot the past few years for different reasons. Most of the time it was bc of lack of funds for recognized competition (I have consistently done unrec 3phases and CTs). Then last summer I got married and having a second income was going to make it possible for me yo compete in uses hrs again. But a year ago next week, the Equine love of my life, Jelly, died suddenly of a rare illness. :*( so that ended my Fall season before it started. Once I recovered a bit from losing Jello, I started working hard with my good mare and we moved up in unrec competition to Training in March. This mare is 15 and she is an amazing horse, so I bred her in May. She's not retired, but I didn't want her to get any older as a maiden mare. She will def compete again after weaning the baby.

In june, a sweet family bought me a lovely hanovarian mare to compete and sell. She's been really competitive in our first 2 shows, finishing 2nd in both CTs in bigger divisions. So I have her entered in a CT this weekend, and in my first recognized ht since November 2007. Im SO excited about running the ht at poplar in 2 weeks!!!

Here's the problem... the mare im competing came up lame a few weeks Ago. Did full vet work up, turns out its a simple issue w her left front foot (heels got too low and she needed more support). So I spent hundreds in vet bills, had a different more expensive farrier come and shoe her to correct the problem. She is much better, but still off. :/ I guess she just needs time, but I don't know what to do. I can get my $ back from poplar til tomorrow. Or I could take my pregnant mare (its just bn and she's stayed in light work since the breeding). Or I could take one of my friends little paint mares. This mare is really more of a jumper, but she jumps around Xc, I can get her to be pretty decent for a dressage test, and I know she'll show jump.

What should I do??? Is it too much to ask my prego mare to do BN at 4 months pregnant? (Im kind of uncomfortable w this idea bc her healthy pregnancy is my priority)? Should I take the paint mare and just go kick around? Or should I get myoney back? I mean, I've waited almost 4 years, I don't know why I HAVE to do this show. Sigh. What would you do???

I'd withdraw and just give it time. You'll save the money and the stress. And wouldn't you rather wait and compete your own horse, rather than make do with a friend's?

I did not know that Jelly had passed. So sorry to hear this!

Fingers crossed that you'll be out and about again in no time!
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

scratch.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Unless you're in the same boat I'm in (can't get money back so taking a different horse) I would scratch...unless you really just want to go and have the ride.

scratch, but then volunteer.

Not only does it get you out and around horses/people, but you help an organizer put on a good show. We're not paid to go to shows so why push.