The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Non-Connemara stallion for Connemara mare?

I can't believe I am asking this, but I may have the opportunity to go in on a foal as a test breeding for for a very nice Connemara pony mare. There are reasons she wont be bred to another Connemara stallion next year, and the breeder may want to do some part-breds in the future. This particular mare is by far the best type of hers to produce a nice horse or grp cross as she is more a sport type and is an above average mover and a spectacular jumper. She also has one of the best temperaments of any horse/ponies I have ever met, and is a children's packer. Lastly, she is the dam of the most wonderful pony in the world, mine.

She is 14.1hh and produced a 14.2hh filly by a 13.3hh purebred Connemara stallion. I am really torn between going with a nice GRP and risking getting something 14.3 (if the foal is sold and not retained by me or the breeder), or going with a smaller horse stallion in the attempt to get something in the 15hh+ range (which for me would be ideal, and might be more marketable?). My top stallion choices are Donarweiss and Belfonte d'Avalon as I think the type compliments her and they both have the temperament and jump I would be looking for in addition to the movement. Other suggestions are welcome, but those two give you and idea of what I like.

Any thoughts? And as always "you are crazy to even consider it" is a valid argument. I just want to add that I would be paying the breeding expenses for a breeding that this experienced and knowledgeable breeder is already considering doing. I would have nothing riding on this pony except the hope of getting a super all-around horse as my next mount, and helping out a wonderful person with her breeding program.

Here is the mare's pedigree
    http://www.connemaras.com/nails/pdfoggy.html

And some pictures
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21719...04500765lqAJGt

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23437...04500765GZppZn
    Last edited by Perfect Pony; Sep. 12, 2011 at 03:48 PM.

not so much for dressage as hunter/jumpers but a lady near me has a Connemara/TB cross that is a super jumper.

Only making a comment/point here regarding size, because without pix/video/bloodlines we can't intelligently respond to much else. If you're worried about the oversize issue, I think Heather's Burberry is smallish (14h) and known for keeping the size down and I've also seen some lovely Wicked Court Jester babies and he will do the same.

I have a foal by
    http://irishdraught.com/horses/profile.php?unid=5078

out of a Conn x mare. I've been planning on a new video but haven't gotten it done but he is a fantastic mover.

Belltower Stud's website seems to be undergoing renovation but Tony and Sarah a re great to work with.

I also have a yearling by
    http://irishdraught.com/horses/profile.php?unid=1486
    out of my Erin Go Bragh mare who is very nice
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    Only making a comment/point here regarding size, because without pix/video/bloodlines we can't intelligently respond to much else.
    I am not so much worried about oversize as the dreaded 14.3 For me I actually want oversize, preferably 15hh+ which is why my #1 choice is Donarweiss who I just love. My current pony is 14.2 and I cannot help but wish she was in a little larger package sometimes.

Here is the mare's pedigree
    http://www.connemaras.com/nails/pdfoggy.html

And some pictures
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21719...04500765lqAJGt

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23437...04500765GZppZn

There are others of her in the album. The only thing I would change about her is she has a slightly big/plain head, which she passed on to my pony. But if that is what I have to deal with for that brain inside, I will take it.
    Last edited by Perfect Pony; Sep. 12, 2011 at 03:47 PM.

PP, try and find a super smaller TB. You really can't fail with this cross so I've been told!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    PP, try and find a super smaller TB. You really can't fail with this cross so I've been told!

Terri
    Hey Terri, it seems I must address this since you are the second to recommend it. I have seen some pretty spectacular failures of this cross for ME, several you could not pay me to get on. I almost did not buy a Connemara at all because of the several hot and difficult TB/Conn crosses I have known. They may be spectacular when crossed for some people but I have no wish to gamble with that cross (once again, for what I want). I would be happy with ugly or less than stellar movement, even something that would be good for nothing but heading down the trail, but the one thing I don't want ever again is "hot", I'm too old.

I think you sell yourself short! But understand your concerns! Just in Ireland people all want one yet hard to find. Course everyone says that! Perhaps you could think another way all together and look at some of the sporty type Morgans available to you. They are kind of similar in type, a little size, and yet are supposed to have good brains. Could be an idea.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Sounds like a fun plan, PP. I have always loved Ridley, a 14.3 hh stallion bred by Marefield Meadows, by Rotspon and out of an elite Walt Disney mare. Other stallions to consider are Benidetto, a stallion doing very well in dressage, and who showed a flair for jumping in his 100 d.t. Dauphin, also bred by Marefield, has proven himself through some very nice offspring. He is frozen, but it is excellent semen.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I second looking at a smaller irish Draught like some of the bell Tower horses. They have some great movers showing in dressage - Fergal I think is 15.2

My friend just sold one and he was gorgeous.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    I second looking at a smaller irish Draught like some of the bell Tower horses. They have some great movers showing in dressage - Fergal I think is 15.2

My friend just sold one and he was gorgeous.
    Sigh, I spent (wasted) about an hour outside in the heat trying to get my Fergal (Winmaur Sgt Pepper) baby to do something cute.
    Nope, not showing off today

Here he is a few days old
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKnkKmIWh2U
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

I saw a few weeks ago a Conn x Arabian.. And normally (outside of welsh x arab) i'm not a fan of arabian x ponies.. but.. that one was really nice.

Most Connemara/TB crosses in America are out of a TB mare by a Connemara stallion so you have the hotter influence of the TB dam on the foal. If this Connemara mare is a typical Connemara temperament then the greater influence will be the Connemara mare...also the size will be controlled by the Connemara mare so I would expect the cross to be more predictable and smaller than if it were a TB dam. I always encourage people...even if they plan on keeping the foal...to consider the registration choices and marketability of any cross they make. At some point in this foals life it will be on the market and it needs to be a cross that makes sense for people. I would think if you are planning a breeding for a Connemara mare then I would first choose a Connemara sire. Second a TB sire. Third choice would be to consider gettting the mare inspected for Wieser Ems and then choose a warmblood and play the warmblood game of getting the foal inspected. This is all to have good market value in the foal. You can research this by searching Equine.com etc for what is out there and what ages and what prices they sell at. PatO

Yup, Conn x TB tend to be hot. I have two for that reason, the Erin Go Bragh mare being one. However both her foals have had great temperments, both the one by *Gunsmoke and the one by Bridon Belfrey RID
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

I bred my Connemara mare (Big Bear Farm sire and dam) to Belafonte d' Avalon this year. I've crossed warmblood to Connemara several times and liked the results, so I'm confident about the cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportpony View Post
    I bred my Connemara mare (Big Bear Farm sire and dam) to Belafonte d' Avalon this year. I've crossed warmblood to Connemara several times and liked the results, so I'm confident about the cross.
    Thanks for the input, nice to know I am not totally off base with the cross. I have seen many WB/Conn crosses and have liked every single one of them, and rode one I really liked the feel of. Had I not bought my pb 3 year old filly I most likely would have gone out to Garner Creek to see hers. Truth be told the WB/Conn part-breds were the only Connemara part breds I liked.

I realize the TB crosses are loved by some, but not by me. Simply not my type of horse at my advancing age. It's also not a cross anyone would think of for a primarily dressage prospect, quite the opposite.

We just bought the Connemara mare Bliss from Garner Creek. Love her!

She is in foal to Romancero H.

Dan

What about New Forest pony stallion Wicked Courtjester? He strikes me as a type that would be a lovely cross with a Connemara.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Hi PP - Just a few thoughts...

We've bred a number of TB X Conn crosses (TB mares x Moxley Duncan and more recently Tre Awain Goldsmith) and I don't agree with the overall statement that TB/Conn are hot; forward maybe but not necessarily hot...and there is a difference. Without exception, all have been athletes w/ great dispositions.

That said, of your choices (Donarweiss and Belfonte d'Avalon) I'd probably lean towards Belfonte d'Avalon - more' like to like' not just in size/height but bone:height. (Although I've seen Donarweiss and he's quite nice.) I know someone that has a very nice QH xConn but I can't think of who the QH sire was; I'll try to think on that.

Pat
    Catoctin Sporthorses

I am not sure how tall he is, but Nancy Holowesko (posts here as Crosiadore) just had a lovely GRP stallion licensed for Weser-Em breeding at the OHBS/GOV licensing in MD. I believe he is a full brother to a German WE licensing champion. He is also buckskin in color, in case you are interested in colored stallions.

Heather Luing at Whispered Wish Weser-Ems Ponies in FL also has a lovely WE stallion named Burberry. I believe he is on the smallish side - 14h or thereabouts - so he may be worth a look.