The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Myopia Hunter Pace in November?

I've heard lots of great things about this pace, but also that it can be (or was in the past?) more challenging than my group has in mind, so was hoping to get some feedback? We're eventers, so being out of the ring doesn't bother us, but some of the horses are be a bit green and/or creaky, and our goal would be a positive and pleasant outing for all concerned. Should we keep Myopia on our list or would it not likely be appropriate?

Thanks much!

Myopia is a beautiful pace and the fences range from 18" to 3'. You can gap any fence on course if you want/need to. I have brought very green horses there and never had a problem. The footing is fantastic and the dinner in the evening is not to be missed. I would definately keep it on your list!

Talking Absolutely!

It is a fabulous Hunter Pace... pricey (includes dinner) but the territory is amazing. For eventers or anyone for that matter, there are lots of varied jumps... Elementary to Training and all of them can be gapped.

Truly, to have the opportunity to ride Myopia's Hunt Territory at your pace (I hunted there with them in First Flight which was ... um... fast and fabulous.), it worth every penny. And to do it on a beautiful fall day... Priceless.

And if you need a partner... me, me, me!!!! Or want to tailgate...

Do go. It is beautiful, I'm driving down from Maine and can not wait!!!

Go! As everyone has said, it's a lovely course, and can be as easy or difficult as you want to make it.

One caveat - it may not be the best first pace for a greenie. It tends to be very busy, and the winning time will be much faster than at most paces, so you'll have groups galloping and passing. It can be a lot for a youngster to take in.

Having said that, I took my then three-year old Arab to Myopia as his first pace (non-jumping). My trainer thought I was slightly nuts, but he's a pretty sane guy, and we went with an older horse who knew the ropes. I will say that after that, I never worried about any other pace - if he could handle Myopia, he could certainly handle anything else!

I have always wondered if Myopia's pace would be worth the 3 hr drive from CT and based on the reviews here it sounds like it would be!
    I won't be able to make the fall pace but does anyone know if the Spring pace is equally as good?? How is the footing in the spring?

I've been to both, and they're definitely worth it! Spring can be sloppy, depending on the weather.

There are a ton of jumps on course, and enough spots that drain well that even if it's muddy, you'll likely be able to get quite a few jumps in, especially if you do an early ride time.

Another reason it's worth going is that some of the trails are on private property, and are not normally open to horses outside of the Myopia Hunt.

I agree, it is a great hunter pace. It's just unfortunate that they don't offer a price without dinner (we come from Maine, and we don't like to leave the horses in the trailer while we're eating...) but it's worth it just for the fabulous grounds, varied fences, and in the fall, all the costumes! I remember going to this pace on my then green-as-grass, fresh off the track OTTB...she was just FASCINATED by all the costumes, lol!

I'm really, really hoping I can go this year, but I may not have a drive down...sniff.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Thanks, folks! Sounds fantastic -- I will put the spring pace on my calendar for sure if I miss the November edition.

CANTEREOIN, I should know within a week whether I can make it or not (I may end up at Beland instead to help enable a friend) -- will let you know!