The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,009

    Default How not to unload a horse from a trailer...

    So this is why you shouldn't leave the trailer 'windows' open... Sorry for the non-FB peeps, it's on FB.

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=223573847692196

    Horse looks to be in remarkably 'good' shape post extraction. Strained and sore, but you don't get the impression it broke any bones.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov. 8, 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    586

    Default

    Oh my, that was absolutely terrifying. I hope everyone was okay in the end! I have always had this fear, along with my horse coming over the chest bar in a straight load.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 27, 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Saw this on Facebook - absolutely terrifying!
    Zion Farm - Friesian & Norwegian Fjord Horses



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    Oh my, that was absolutely terrifying. I hope everyone was okay in the end! I have always had this fear, along with my horse coming over the chest bar in a straight load.
    I get flack from folks about closing the top back doors on a two horse trailer. But I know someone who had a horse turn around and perform a similar routine to the one in this video. Horse got itself out in my friend's case, but jeez louse. Yikes. Who wants to have to figure out that mess !



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    12,766

    Default

    Link does not work, it says content not found.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Link does not work, it says content not found.
    just tried it and it seemed fine.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2010
    Location
    on COTH right now, duh!
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Oh Holy Hell. How horrible! I cried too when she got out. Reminded me of my yearling who was the last horse in one day and jumped the gate, gettingstuck on tippy toes on either side. Of course no one was in the barn except my daughter, who was then 9, so we slid open the gate and pushed him off gently, which took an eternity. But he didn't panic one bit. Just sorta stood there waiting for someone to untangle him. His name was Monkey
    Does anyone know the whole story on this video? Curious to know if she was drugged and if they were driving when this happened it if they pulled in and she tried to get out....



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2004
    Location
    Nescopeck PA
    Posts
    1,841

    Default

    Which is why I have a stock trailer. Open back windows terrify me. I've seen too many horses freak in a trailer and turn around, and let's just say who wants to have THAT happen going down the road.

    FWIW, I think I would have pushed her back in, nothing about that picnic table was a good idea.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    12,766

    Default

    I have facebook access so that is not it. Weird. Still does not work for me.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 7, 2010
    Posts
    1,227

    Default

    The link doesn't work for me, either. And I do have facebook.

    I have a stock trailer, too, but that is mostly because we have lots and lots of cows. But horses don't seem to get all bent out of shape in a stock trailer...they can adapt themselves to about any shape they want to, if they can shift themselves around without chest bars, angle dividers, hay mangers, etc.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenlucas View Post
    Which is why I have a stock trailer. Open back windows terrify me. I've seen too many horses freak in a trailer and turn around, and let's just say who wants to have THAT happen going down the road.

    FWIW, I think I would have pushed her back in, nothing about that picnic table was a good idea.
    I am grateful they posted the video because in similar situations my question would be "well what the heck do I do now?"

    I am not sure about 're-stuffing.' Do you think both of the horse's legs are going to flex far enough forward to do that ? And the horse's hind end is not going to stay under it with the front legs extended that forward and high, I think. Maybe you could have folded the legs at the knee, but that would be hard to do and then the horses weight is being born on the front of the cannon bone or ankle.

    But overall I think it would be a good idea to have some more suggestions/explanations/stories, from folks who have actually been there, of how they have extracted horses from situations such as this one.

    We can speculate plenty, but really only hard experience is going to serve for these kinds of scenarios.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2009
    Posts
    6,998

    Default

    Link worked fine.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenlucas View Post
    Which is why I have a stock trailer. Open back windows terrify me. I've seen too many horses freak in a trailer and turn around, and let's just say who wants to have THAT happen going down the road.

    FWIW, I think I would have pushed her back in, nothing about that picnic table was a good idea.
    Yeah stock trailer is really the best way to go. But I don't know of anyone who has one that would accommodate big warmbloods, though I am sure you could have one custom made. Also, most of the show riders I know would balk (/flat out refuse to load their horse on) at a stock trailer. Many humans seem to feel more secure tucking the horses into snug slots. But humans ain't that smart, ya know...



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr. 1, 2006
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenlucas View Post
    FWIW, I think I would have pushed her back in, nothing about that picnic table was a good idea.
    Gotta agree with you about the picnic table. It did seem like a good idea when they got his butt jacked up a bit so he could stand instead of hanging there. I can't really judge them though, they were just trying to creatively use what they could to get a horse out of a sticky situation! At least the horse didn't completely panic and destroy himself and the trailer.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan. 14, 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenlucas View Post
    FWIW, I think I would have pushed her back in, nothing about that picnic table was a good idea.
    Pushed her back in how? It seems to me based on the situation at hand, that the picnic table was the best option they had. The other option may have been to hoist up her rear end somehow and let her launch herself through the window and land on the ground. Both would be risky but there was no way to make this into a good situation.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr. 5, 2010
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    I get flack from folks about closing the top back doors on a two horse trailer. But I know someone who had a horse turn around and perform a similar routine to the one in this video. Horse got itself out in my friend's case, but jeez louse. Yikes. Who wants to have to figure out that mess !
    I worry about that too. If Im trailering just one, I leave the other top open and close the one behind my horse.

    Open "inside" stock trailers to me just seem dangerous if you are moving more then one horse (fights etc) and how is does a horse brace themselves?



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2004
    Location
    Nescopeck PA
    Posts
    1,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    I am not sure about 're-stuffing.' Do you think both of the horse's legs are going to flex far enough forward to do that ? And the horse's hind end is not going to stay under it with the front legs extended that forward and high, I think. Maybe you could have folded the legs at the knee, but that would be hard to do and then the horses weight is being born on the front of the cannon bone or ankle.
    Restuff...I've done it before. The horse did not have it's hind legs touching the ground to make putting it's front end on the picnic table a viable option. The horse can't really pull himself out. But you could lift him up with many people (maybe sedate him) and push him back in. Get his hind feet on the ground. They tend to kick more wildly with the hind and I'd prefer those not be the legs trying to get through that little window.

    All in all they were VERY lucky. I don't think I'd look at that video and think "hmmm now I know what to do". Just very lucky.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2004
    Location
    Nescopeck PA
    Posts
    1,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Pushed her back in how? It seems to me based on the situation at hand, that the picnic table was the best option they had. The other option may have been to hoist up her rear end somehow and let her launch herself through the window and land on the ground. Both would be risky but there was no way to make this into a good situation.
    Picked up her front legs and pushed her back in. I worked with the vet and we've had horses jump out over stocks a few times. Dangling the same way almost. We always pushed them back into the stocks with an open back, never, ever encouraged them to jump the rest of the way out. It's a lot easier to handle the front end then the kicking flailing back end (at least in my experience).

    I had a two horse long ago. And I had a couple ponies that would jump up into the hay mow ( I don't even want to imagine a chest bar). They terrify me. We got our stock trailer which has two 6 x 8 stalls, and the back we can use a divider we had specially made. We never use it. I can slant four horses. I can put two in front and back side by side. I can haul one loose. They brace themselves so much easier as they can turn sideways or backwards if they are loose. I don't think horses necessarily want to be squeezed in a little tube facing forward. Haul them loose sometime and watch what they prefer to do!
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2005
    Location
    Paris, Kentucky
    Posts
    3,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Yeah stock trailer is really the best way to go. But I don't know of anyone who has one that would accommodate big warmbloods, though I am sure you could have one custom made. Also, most of the show riders I know would balk (/flat out refuse to load their horse on) at a stock trailer. Many humans seem to feel more secure tucking the horses into snug slots. But humans ain't that smart, ya know...
    Really? I have an Exiss STK24. It has 3 eight foot stalls and 7'7" ceillings. The dividers are floor to ceiling. This was all standard and NOT custom. I have hauled an 18+ hand Belgian ET mare with her huge foal in just one of the stalls. It hauls all of my BIG warmbloods. I HATE slant loads with a passion and they are absolutely useless with mares with babies. Young horses learn to load soooooo much better with a big open space to jump into too.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun. 21, 2009
    Location
    Hunterdon County NJ
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    Really? I have an Exiss STK24. It has 3 eight foot stalls and 7'7" ceillings. The dividers are floor to ceiling. This was all standard and NOT custom. I have hauled an 18+ hand Belgian ET mare with her huge foal in just one of the stalls. It hauls all of my BIG warmbloods. I HATE slant loads with a passion and they are absolutely useless with mares with babies. Young horses learn to load soooooo much better with a big open space to jump into too.
    Can you post some pics ?

    Yeah I agree it is easier to train a horse to load into an open space. In my area I have never seen anyone with a stock trailer pull a big horse out of it. But it sounds like your Exiss is one that can be 'changed around' inside? You could put up straight stalls but instead you set it up as box stalls? I think of this as being different from a plain, stripped down, slat-sided 'stock' trailer that is meant to haul any and all types of critters. Not a spiffy horse type trailer that can be converted to all box stalls.



Similar Threads

  1. A New Way to Horse Trailer Load and Unload
    By Mike Matson in forum Off Course
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jun. 28, 2012, 11:42 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: Aug. 27, 2011, 01:41 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr. 18, 2011, 10:59 AM
  4. anyone have any old longe lines they want to unload? NE PA
    By DieBlaueReiterin in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Mar. 12, 2010, 11:06 AM
  5. Trailering alone...how do you load/unload
    By Nojacketrequired in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: Jan. 15, 2010, 10:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •