The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horseback Rider Denied Service at Drive-Thru

News video at link:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/201...seback-110803/

Excerpt:

Tim Hortons has apologized to a customer on horseback after staff at an Alberta location refused to let him trot past the drive-thru for a coffee last weekend.

Staff at a Tim Hortons franchise in Lethbridge, Alta., were startled last Saturday when Phil Corman rode a large grey horse up to their drive-thru window and asked for a large double-double.

The local horse trainer was immediately denied service.

Corman said he's never had a problem ordering a coffee on horseback before.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    The local horse trainer was immediately denied service.
    On what grounds? No cup holder?

Maybe if he'd been riding one of his meese....or maybe his horse left a pile of Timbits in the laneway!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I'm glad out local Whatburger serves us at the window They seem happy to see the horses.

I've been denied at Timmy's. We had to hitch the horses across the street or behind the building since then and don't bother trying to take them through the drive thru. Sometimes they've told us the horses are not vehicular traffic, other times they say its a health concern to have the horses near the food window (because noxious carbon monoxide in a Timmy's line is MUCH better for people, I'm sure). Whatever. Hitch, take a pee break, grab a drink for me and an oat cake for the trusty steed, and switch places watching the string with the next group to go in.

Quote Originally Posted by jengersnap View Post
    I've been denied at Timmy's. We had to hitch the horses across the street or behind the building since then and don't bother trying to take them through the drive thru. Sometimes they've told us the horses are not vehicular traffic, other times they say its a health concern to have the horses near the food window (because noxious carbon monoxide in a Timmy's line is MUCH better for people, I'm sure). Whatever. Hitch, take a pee break, grab a drink for me and an oat cake for the trusty steed, and switch places watching the string with the next group to go in.

LOL, They must be the only game in town with a drive through...
    Anybody tries a Sonics with a drive in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

not a vehicle? at one time, it was the ONLY vehicle available. I am glad he got served.
    Here in Waterloo county, many places have hitching posts ie supermarkets, Home Depot even have a shelter! We are in mennonite country. I should go and check the closest Timmy's too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    LOL, They must be the only game in town with a drive through...
    Pretty close to it. We have 4 or more Timmy's in this town, but only one McDs and one Wendy's with a drive thru. My steeds prefer oat cakes though so no fast food drive thru for them On the other hand, there are a few establishments around here you can actually find horses hitched to the railings while the owners are eating or drinking.

A local fast food restaurant is near a bunch of hotels frequented by cross country truckers. The restaurant closes before the drive through, the semis cannot get into the drive through and walk ups are not allowed. Their restaurant, their rules.

My biggest concerns as a business owner would be backlash from other patrons, especially if the horse uses this time to relieve himself in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    A local fast food restaurant is near a bunch of hotels frequented by cross country truckers. The restaurant closes before the drive through, the semis cannot get into the drive through and walk ups are not allowed. Their restaurant, their rules.

My biggest concerns as a business owner would be backlash from other patrons, especially if the horse uses this time to relieve himself in any way.
    Still, horse droppings are much easier to deal with than car droppings...I had a few near spills in parking lots oil and water just does not go together well...or motor oil and shoes for that matter....
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Horse "exhaust" is biodegradable. Motor vehicle exhaust is NOT and contains cancer causing agents.

If you check out the comments on the video's site, there seems to bee lots of concern and fascination with horse "poop" and "pee" and horses passing "gas." I guess most of the posters are really teen-aged or pre-teen boys.

They are the ONLY people I know who are so "into" feces, urine and flatulence.

They're probably not thinking this deeply about it, but a potential valid concern could be horses and riders, and horse shoes, on slick pavement. Other than that, boo, they're no fun! Our local paper ran a cute picture in the summer a few years ago of some girls who rode their horses through the drive-thru at Dairy Queen on a hot day. :nods:
    Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

Quote Originally Posted by bayou_bengal View Post
    Horse "exhaust" is biodegradable. Motor vehicle exhaust is NOT and contains cancer causing agents.

If you check out the comments on the video's site, there seems to bee lots of concern and fascination with horse "poop" and "pee" and horses passing "gas." I guess most of the posters are really teen-aged or pre-teen boys.

They are the ONLY people I know who are so "into" feces, urine and flatulence.

nah, the anal fascination runs deep. Just online more people dare express it....

Maybe because the staff were afraid if the said local horse trainer dumped the hot coffee onto himself, he'd sue for millions?

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    not a vehicle? at one time, it was the ONLY vehicle available. I am glad he got served.
    Here in Waterloo county, many places have hitching posts ie supermarkets, Home Depot even have a shelter! We are in mennonite country. I should go and check the closest Timmy's too.
    I miss Waterloo! I always got a real kick (and a bit of creature comfort) seeing them right in town...I remember the first time I went there, we were at a red light at the W'loo McDonald's (Weber Street?) and there was a very antsy STB rearing up in its harness right beside our car.
    I need a road trip!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

My BO and two of the other boarders make a habit of riding into the nearby town and going through the Timmy's drive-through. The employees in that one even offer a bucket of water for the horses on the really hot days. Now that's service!

I want his horse!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    I miss Waterloo! I always got a real kick (and a bit of creature comfort) seeing them right in town...I remember the first time I went there, we were at a red light at the W'loo McDonald's (Weber Street?) and there was a very antsy STB rearing up in its harness right beside our car.
    I need a road trip!
    Dee
    yep, King and Columbia, just one block from Weber Street.
    I don't like seeing those poor horses though. Most of them are lame or look lame! But many stores do have shelters for them.
    Next month, there will probably be one carriage going down around the neighbourhood, trying to sell apples! I'd rather give the apple to the horse!

Now I wonder if a horse drawn mennonite carriage would get service at Tim Horton's at St. Jacob for example (or Elmira) Mennonite country for sure!

Default about 18 years ago...

I was denied service at a Hardees in Grand Rapids, MI. In a vis-a-vis carriage. I was doing horse drawn rides there at the time. Called the manager the next day, explained that I can't just walk away from the horses. He told me to come thru any time I liked, and he would let the night team know not to deny us again.
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post
    I was denied service at a Hardees in Grand Rapids, MI. In a vis-a-vis carriage. I was doing horse drawn rides there at the time. Called the manager the next day, explained that I can't just walk away from the horses. He told me to come thru any time I liked, and he would let the night team know not to deny us again.
    Sometimes it's just a matter of education . So many people just don't realize you don't just park a carriage, turn off the horse and walk away