The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pedro Torres - The King of Working Equitation

Superb!! Pedro Torres is the rider with the most winnings in Working Equitation in the world. This video shows highlights of his many rides. Don't miss the stills toward the end showing how versatile this horse/rider combination are in different disciplines.

http://youtu.be/XZ8d9ByD5L4
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

1 members found this post helpful.

That is awesome! I'd call this the Ultimate Dressage!
    Thanks for sharing.

I love watching Torres ride. Thanks for posting that. I was actually surprised to see the photos of him competing in dressage--I knew he worked with dressage horses as well but I'd never seen him competing!

That dude has a core to die for. And I do believe that horse is the coolest horse in the universe.

2 members found this post helpful.

It makes me question why I work so hard to keep weight in my heels at all times. Anyway, just remembering the order to do all that stuff would be hard, much less doing it.

THAT is the ultimately broke horse. BEAUTIFUL!
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

*sigh* I so adore working and speed equitation. *This* is the type of riding Lusitanos are bred for.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

You guys who are into WE should join ERAHC.....Eastern Region Andalusian Horse Club....they offer WE competitions at shows in MA (June) and VA (Sept).....and don't let the "andalusian" name throw you....open to all horses....and all are encouraged...very friendly club.

http://www.erahc.org/index.php?optio...d=14&Itemid=12

I am not a fan of bullfighting, but when it is done right it does have an incredible art form to it. Sort of an *ultimate dance*.

Check out these horses. Absolutely gorgeous work. Am I the only one to see roots of the American Quarter Horse in some of these horses? They did bring some over on clipper ships and such.

The videos do show the bull taking the small spears (cannot remember the right name for them), so do not open them if you are squeamish about these things.

Caballo muerde y tumba a un toro tras estocada en España (horse bites bull)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcM_v...eature=related

I love the ^ above horse ... takes his job seriously . His rider giving him a thump on the nose to get him to pay attention is funny .

Horse Power (gorgeous work with bull)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4glo...eature=related
    Last edited by BaroquePony; Sep. 13, 2011 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluvinel View Post
    You guys who are into WE should join ERAHC.....Eastern Region Andalusian Horse Club....they offer WE competitions at shows in MA (June) and VA (Sept).....and don't let the "andalusian" name throw you....open to all horses....and all are encouraged...very friendly club.

http://www.erahc.org/index.php?optio...d=14&Itemid=12

Does any one know if there's something like this on the West Coast? My google-fu is failing me.

gaitedincali, a good first step is to just find your local/regional Andalusian club and go from there. A lot of them offer open classes in WE and doma vaquera. I believe the national organization does as well--or anyway I know I was considering taking a horse to their nationals last year for the doma competition and he wasn't an Andalusian (he also wound up not being ready ).

I think that is the first horse I have seen that I would willingly shell out 6 figures for.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    gaitedincali, a good first step is to just find your local/regional Andalusian club and go from there.
    Found it! Darn, I just missed a working equitation clinic at the local Regional Champs. The show also had lots of all breed classes but no working equitation - perhaps the clinic is a sign of thing to come next year?

Probably. This stuff is all fairly new in the US, at least as a popular discipline. If you're interested in getting started sooner you might want to contact the people who put the clinic on--IME most people in the US who do this kind of riding are really eager to encourage new people. I'm not sure I've ever had so many people glom onto me and try to get me involved as at these events. They might be able to put you in touch with local trainers or alert you to events outside the club.

If you want to as well, you can PM me and I can give you some more information about the trainers I know of. I'm in NM so relatively close to you, and I know some in the west. I'm far from experienced in it and don't have as much time or money to devote to it as I would like, but I can tell you how I've gotten started in it.

Just for clarification, too, I don't really do WE yet. I do doma vaquera and garrocha, but they're all related and a lot of the same people do all of them.

I get the working aspect of this, but where is the equitation? To me, it looks like a professional rider who has done an amazing job training a horse, but not like what I consider an "equitation king." Is their equitation just held to a different standard than the traditional equitation that I'm thinking?

I just want to make it clear, that I think this guy is an amazing trainer and has done a great job with this horse, it's just the name of the discipline that I don't get.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    I get the working aspect of this, but where is the equitation?
    It's everywhere! This is equitation as in the art of horsemanship, not the typical USA idea of equitation as a show ring class judged on the rider.

Quote Originally Posted by gaitedincali View Post
    It's everywhere! This is equitation as in the art of horsemanship
    That makes perfect sense, thanks!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    Check out these horses. Absolutely gorgeous work. Am I the only one to see roots of the American Quarter Horse in some of these horses? They did bring some over on clipper ships and such.

Horse Power (gorgeous work with bull)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4glo...eature=related
    I would guess absolutely. Lusitanos and other Iberian strains were fighting bulls/handling cattle long before the QH ever existed, so I would find it hard to believe that in the way back the QH didn't get some of it's cow sense/ability from the horse brought over.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    I get the working aspect of this, but where is the equitation? To me, it looks like a professional rider who has done an amazing job training a horse, but not like what I consider an "equitation king." Is their equitation just held to a different standard than the traditional equitation that I'm thinking?

I just want to make it clear, that I think this guy is an amazing trainer and has done a great job with this horse, it's just the name of the discipline that I don't get.
    I think it depends on what you grew up with. I grew up in the Mediterranean, riding these style of horses, and learning this type of equitation. so for me, in North America - we just dont' see this level of equitation- where the average hacking out horse can turn around, jump fence with style, and then do tempi changes on a whim across a field. I found our horses here are more selective in their trained skill set.. and less all-round many times.
    I once knew a lady when I lived in belgium, when I was older - lovely little sidesaddle mare - I was talking to her one day while she was getting ready to go on a hack (as she did every day) and somehow came around to what else did she do on her mare.
    she smiled and said, oh..this and that.
    (I'd known this mare /rider for 3 years, never seen them do anything but hack)
    She then did a complete jump round of 3 ft something fences (sidesaddle) and then proceeded to putz around (as she called it) doing canter piruoettes, tempis, piaffes and passage - on what she called... her trail horse. Very par for the course over there I found.

Heck I get looks when I ride dressage tests on my 100 miler endurance horse or take him to a jumper show - people get this very odd look on their face - like..how come? why would you bother?
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

One word: WOW!!!!!

And Aged Out--I'd sell a kidney (or a firstborn!) for his core!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.