The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is anyone else watching Heartland, the horsey soap opera-ish tv show?

My DD has been trying to get me to watch it and tonight I did. It's a little unrealistic and incorrect but that's most horsey dramas. Just wondering if anyone else is hooked?

Where is it showing? What channel, and when?

Never heard of it. Well duh, little wonder, it is Canadian. Just Googled to find it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartla...dian_TV_series) I guess if you live near that border you might get it?
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

I watch it sometimes. I actually board at a barn they used to use in the show. It's not a show that I make sure I watch every week but it's on and nothing else I really want to watch is on I will watch it. As time goes on it's getting more human drama-y rather than horse stuff.

Netflix has it, in instant watching availability. I did not make it past the first three minutes. *rolling my eyes*
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

I have it on Dish in PA. Watched one episodes thought I was going to get a decent horsey fix, thought ok, I can handle this then started another episode and was turned off a bit when she made a horse that didn't want to jump miraculously start jumping. Also hot a bit annoyed by the cowboy hats and English saddles, but no helmets on the kids.

It is on GMC network on Direct TV. I have been watching it. Yes, it is kind of corney, and not real horse accurate, but I have seen worse. I enjoy it enough to record it and watch it on the weekends. It also has some really good music and I have discovered a lot of great artists that I would have never heard of otherwise. And seriously, if they ever made a show involving horses that was completely accurate, the general public would probably find it terribly boring. I can live with the horse "mistakes" in this series.

Edited to add....there is an Australian horse series that is really good called McLeod's Daughters. I think it is on Netfix. I loved that show and ended up actually buying the first few seasons on DVD. At some point, the key characters changed too much and I quit watching. Again, not entirely horse accurate, but it is a fabulous show regardless.

Nice to know there's some adult alternatives out there to the Saddle Club which I have NEVER watched without a child present...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Even though my daughter won't watch it and wasn't born the last time I saw it.
    ==================
    Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

McLeod's Daughters is great and is on Netflicks.

On Episode 3. LOVE it. Cheesey and horsey. Just like me.
    ==================

Heartland wasn't for me, sadly.

Will try McLeods Daughters!

Watched "Pride of the Bluegrass" on Netflix last night, at least part of it, until it got completely ridiculous. The horsie hero isn't an TB, but he's really pretty! Arab cross, maybe? He flags his tail like an Arab.

Nope, can't stand it! Although one of the girls that rides at our barn is one of the stunt riders for the show (she lives on a ranch next door to the guy that produces the show!) and a few of our horses have been used as "extras".

Apparantly the horse that is "Spartan" on the show can't jump so one of our kids jumpers stood in for him when they were having a "horse show". It was pretty funny as we could all tell when it was Amanda riding Louie and not the "Spartan" horse!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Can't stand it either and could not take the adulation from the fans at the Royal last year for the one girl. Gah!!!
    I loved McLeod's Daughters, at least the first few years... until the original main characters left. After that, I lost interest. But, some really nice Aussie cowboys there too!!

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    Nope, can't stand it! Although one of the girls that rides at our barn is one of the stunt riders for the show (she lives on a ranch next door to the guy that produces the show!) and a few of our horses have been used as "extras".

Apparantly the horse that is "Spartan" on the show can't jump so one of our kids jumpers stood in for him when they were having a "horse show". It was pretty funny as we could all tell when it was Amanda riding Louie and not the "Spartan" horse!
    I don't think the girl that plays Amy jumps either judging by the photography.

Can't help it. I love the show for the ponies.
    ==================

Quote Originally Posted by Chaila View Post
    I don't think the girl that plays Amy jumps either judging by the photography.

Can't help it. I love the show for the ponies.
    Nope, she can't......thus the "stunt riders" bahahahahahaha
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I'll admit, I love it Not sure why, perhaps the scenery, and I think it's pretty humorous dialogue. The men are good looking. The horsey stuff is dorky- but then I thought Seabiscuit was kinda lame too. There's only so much they can do liability-wise, so I don't blame them for overly dramatic 2'6 jumper shows and old, slow, probably non-tb "racehorses". The horse attire improved 2nd season- no more too-small western troxel helmets for the hunter riders. I believe the Amy girl does her own jumping up to 2'6. Did I mention the scenery is stunning, and it's like a little trip back west for me for an hour a week.

I need to check out MacLeod's Daughters then!

There's sort of a sincerity to it that I enjoy. Maybe it's my Canadian heritage popping out. The horse stuff goes back and forth between good story line and wildly unbelievable. But whatevs... I don't watch Friday Night Lights for 100% accurate Football storylines either.

My husband comes up and mocks me mercilessly whenever I have it on.

But I watch on! Undaunted!

Is the show still running? Or when I run out of my 22 Netflix episodes, am I SOL?
    ==================

I started watching the first season on Netflix a few months ago. I didn't get too into it... I thought the acting was kinda bad. I don't think I got past the 3rd episode, but maybe I'll start up again. I only really watch those types of shows for the horses anyways.

Wildfire is another story though. LOVED that show and watched every single time it was on TV and then I watched every episode on Netflix!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

It's seriously cheesy, implausible and inaccurate.

But yet I still watch...

It's actually quite decent family viewing... I'd far rather see kids adulating those characters/actors than the latest next-to-naked pop princess!
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    It's seriously cheesy, implausible and inaccurate.

But yet I still watch...
    yep, me too. we get it in the uk now and again on freeview 28, it's nice to watch when you're vegging out but doesn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny