The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Black Stirrups/Jointed

I didn't want to hijack the clinic attire thread so I started a new one. I was discussing stirrups with a friend who is a judge ("R"). He said he didn't like the black stirrups especially for Equitation because they make it harder to really see the foot position. As for jointed versus non-jpinted he said he didn't really care as long as they weren't "distracting"

Any other judges or riders have an opinion? I am getting ready to chose a new pair. Middle Adult so no big eq in my future.

Thanks for the input

I went to a judging clinic once and the three judges (R) all said they did not like them. They never got around to saying why, but it was a big no-no for them. They also went on about bling belts, fluffy boots and pads (this was a few years ago when every horse was decked out in a sheep) and how they found them distracting. I dont mind how they look personally, but i prefer just plain irons.

I didn't know so many hated the black ones, I've never owned a pair personally, but I like that they are so lightweight. As for jointed, I have had the special Sprenger jointed stirrups for almost 4 years, I'll never use anything else! I havent had any negative feedback on them ;-)
    "The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die!"
    ----> Pre

Yep - I went back to stainless for showing after a few months on black. Was on www.ask the horse show judge.com and the "anti black stirrup sentiment" run deeps.

I still love the MDC ultimate iron (which I bought in black) but I only show in the stainless version of the same iron.

I have terrible knee pain when I ride in regular irons. So they'll have to pry those black ones out of my cold, dead hands. Luckily I show in the hunters so no one should care about them.

Quote Originally Posted by staceymc View Post
    I have terrible knee pain when I ride in regular irons. So they'll have to pry those black ones out of my cold, dead hands. Luckily I show in the hunters so no one should care about them.
    Do you mean the jumpers? Hunters does care about them, they are not really traditional. My trainer would not let me in the hunter ring with them, only regular plain irons. Perhaps ask your trainer about them?

The hunters is where they most likely care the most about anything that is not traditional, I am surprised you would use them in that division.

I dislike the black irons for their unattractive appearance, but have noticed that I can't see them at all sometimes, so I can see why judges might not like them.

I used to love my jointed Sprenger irons, but ultimately I went back to my traditional SS Fillis irons, they gave my leg a bit more stability I thought.

Luckily I show in the hunters so no one should care about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by englishcowgirl View Post
    Do you mean the jumpers? Hunters does care about them, they are not really traditional. My trainer would not let me in the hunter ring with them, only regular plain irons. Perhaps ask your trainer about them?
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    The hunters is where they most likely care the most about anything that is not traditional, I am surprised you would use them in that division.
    I assumed staceymc meant that nobody should care about them because it's the horse being judged, not her foot position (and the rest of her eq).

That said, I still wouldn't likely use them in the hunters... I used to school in jointed stirrups on a daily basis, but switched to regular Fillis irons for shows.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I hate them....but it will not affect your placings in general. But it may subconciously cause me to look harder for you to make a mistake.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

GPA speed air helmets are about as untraditional as it gets. I figure if those are now perfectly acceptable in the hunters, no one should give a second look to my unobtrusive black "irons". Which you'll have to pry out of my cold dead hands, because now my feet don't go numb and my ankles/knees don't ache unrelentingly the entire time I ride.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingUp...POP! View Post
    I didn't know so many hated the black ones, I've never owned a pair personally, but I like that they are so lightweight. As for jointed, I have had the special Sprenger jointed stirrups for almost 4 years, I'll never use anything else! I havent had any negative feedback on them ;-)
    I HATE the jointed herm springers for jumping anything bigger. I reach for them in the air and they just give away and provide a terrible base of support. I think they also encourage riders to brace there heels and lower leg.

Just my .02!

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    I HATE the jointed herm springers for jumping anything bigger. I reach for them in the air and they just give away and provide a terrible base of support. I think they also encourage riders to brace there heels and lower leg.

Just my .02!
    To each his own, eh? I started to use them because I have a messed up knee, they help it out a bit (don't ask the scientific specifics, they just help me, haha). After surgery they seemed to be nicer to my knee than normals. I'll watch out for bracing, but I've never had a problem with it.

My old trainer used plain jointeds in the Olympic trials, so all the die hard jointed fans have a valid argument.
    ----> Pre

I can't live without my jointed irons. I just have the cheap Sta-Brite ones, but after 20 minutes in the saddle my knees just make me want to cry in my CC saddle without them. I do fine without them in my dressage saddle, but something about the shorter stirrup position in the CC saddle just KILLS my knees without them. I feel like the more expensive ones wind up with too much give and I actually like the cheap ones better. They don't flex that much and they only flex back and forth, not side to side.

My leg is actually MORE stable with them because I don't fuss with my stirrups every 10 seconds trying to make my knees quit hurting.

If a judge can't see past jointed irons, so be it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by candysgirl View Post

If a judge can't see past jointed irons, so be it.

Oh yes ^^

Judges' opinions matter, but if they are really such tack nazis, well that's just stupid... No pink stirrups, or neon jackets, or anything Fran Drescher..... But otherwise, get over it!
    ----> Pre

I have been riding in black on black irons for years and I can still win an Eq. class no problem

Hate them all.

Those lightweight black stirrups fly everywhere if you lose one.. I've ridden in them a couple of times and I just didn't like it. Jointed stirrups are good for knee pain, but as Rel said over bigger jumps (I'm talking 1.15+) I find that I reach for them a lot.. it's easy for the rider's leg to be very thrown forward in them. I audited a Shelly Kampf clinic and she said that she only let her riders use plain stirrups, because soo many of her students' legs were being thrown forward on the flat and o/f due to extreme heels-down and constantly reaching for them.

If you look at big, big eq riders and most big trainers/their students as well as BNR's, they use irons that are not jointed or plastic.

I've shown in my black jointed royal rider irons and never had an issue. I have a bad right knee, which is just now getting back to 'normal', and they made a world of difference. I just recently switched back to my old filis irons with no knee pain so far. My trainer has a pair of the back plastics and told me the other day that she's switching back to metal filis irons when she has to show hunters, after chatting with a judge at the last show. I definitely think I'll be showing in my metal filis irons from now on though, as long as my knee agrees.

Quote Originally Posted by karlymacrae View Post
    Hate them all.

Those lightweight black stirrups fly everywhere if you lose one
    Everyone always says this but I've never had a problem picking mine back up quickly. Also most if not all these stirrups have the cheese grater foot pads so you really have to be doing something wrong to lose one. I drop my stirrups usually every ride to practice without. I'm sure the horse appreciates the lightweight ones bouncing along their sides than the heavier metal ones. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by horsietalk View Post
    Everyone always says this but I've never had a problem picking mine back up quickly. Also most if not all these stirrups have the cheese grater foot pads so you really have to be doing something wrong to lose one. I drop my stirrups usually every ride to practice without. I'm sure the horse appreciates the lightweight ones bouncing along their sides than the heavier metal ones. JMO
    I heard that from a local pro, not speaking from personal experience.. and to lose a stirrup you don't necessarily have to be doing something wrong, but most likely something didn't go as planned.. I know she rides a lot of babies so maybe there was a green mistake of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by karlymacrae View Post
    Hate them all.

Those lightweight black stirrups fly everywhere if you lose one.. I've ridden in them a couple of times and I just didn't like it.
    No, they really don't fly anywhere or bounce more than the fillis irons. They also don't smash into your ankle bones or into your horse's side like the heavy fillis. They are much more pleasant for the horse if someone does lose one or you are working without stirrups. I also find them much easier to find and pick back up.

Again, I find it pretty strange that people HATE these for the hunters when the speedair bug helmets are perfectly acceptable.