The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default XN County Innovation

So I have been trying out quite a few different saddles, and I keep coming back to the County Innovation. I am having difficulty finding one in my price range, so I was looking at other saddles but I just love how the County fits. I finally found a County Innovation that fits me perfectly, but I am worried because it is a XN. For some reason the Medium County Innovations weren't feeling right for me. I don't own my own horse yet, but it does fit the 2 TB horses I ride. When I do buy a horse, I will probably get a TB but they are all built differently. Is getting a XN County Innovation too risky? I love it, but I am just wondering if anybody has experience with XN County Innovations and how limited I might be. Thank you.

Innovation trees are pretty generous, and if it were even a *narrow* rather than an *extra narrow* and you ride a lot of narrower horses I'd say go for it. But the *extra* part might make me shy away for it unless I was buying it for a horse that I knew it fit. I have a narrow Innovation that fits about 50%-75% of the horses I ride, but I also have a regular medium Prestige for the horses that don't fit the County.

However, saying all that, if it really does fit the horses you ride now and you plan on riding them for a while, and if it's a good deal, I'd probably buy it. You can usually get your money back on a nicely used Innovation because they hold their value well, and there's always a chance that it'll fit your next horse.

And they ARE really nice saddles!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

The extra narrow probably fits closer to a MN in other brands. County told me that my horse (huge wither, fairly narrow shoulder, so more similar to a TB build than a typical WB build) would go in a XN Innovation, and she currently fits in a M Antares if thats any indication to you of how the Innovation trees run.

XN County Innovations and how limited I might be
    not limited at all as long as you bring your saddle when looking at prospects & use saddle fit as one of the parametres
    otherwise "saddle does not fit new horse" is a very common reason behind many saddle sales.

Buy this saddle because it fits you & the horses you ride now - not because it might fit a future horse. That said, on your other post you mentioned riding WB's & I've personally not met any that actually fit a narrow saddle, the 4 yr & up TB's I know also do not fit narrow saddles (once they build any topline) ...

Don't spend that much money on a saddle if you don't own a horse, unless you can be a big girl about it, and sell it again, taking a loss, when it's time to change it out. Too many people buy a saddle, which is a regular ordinary tool for a job, and then get attached to the darn thing. Buy it, ride it, sell it. No bother. They're nice saddles. The XN doesn't fit anything that moves, so good luck if it fits yours !

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    The XN doesn't fit anything that moves, so good luck if it fits yours !
    Yeah, have a med County Innovation & FP is NOT wide

I would not buy a saddle until you buy a horse. You are risking needing a new saddle when you buy a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    Don't spend that much money on a saddle if you don't own a horse, unless you can be a big girl about it, and sell it again, taking a loss, when it's time to change it out. Too many people buy a saddle, which is a regular ordinary tool for a job, and then get attached to the darn thing. Buy it, ride it, sell it. No bother. They're nice saddles. The XN doesn't fit anything that moves, so good luck if it fits yours !
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganLuvr848 View Post
    I would not buy a saddle until you buy a horse. You are risking needing a new saddle when you buy a horse.
    Hehe... I'm the opposite and your enabler.

If you find *the one* saddle that you adore, for the right price and condition..... then start your Saddle Library.

I own several saddles and one horse. He can't wear all of them but each does a different job. My range lets me have a saddle that works for me on any horse I might ride.

Look, a Saddle Library doesn't fit with the new frugality that arrived after the 2008 economic meltdown. I wouldn't buy a Narrow tree saddle on the basis of having riddent narrow TBs and liked them in the past. You really can't be sure that by the time you find that *the one* horse whose price, mind, soundness and ability all match up will also be narrow. Given the WB trend, the odds are that the back you get in your horse will be on Wide tree end of the spectrum instead. But Counties are well designed and a Narrow Innovation will do a better job of being a narrow saddle that will fit horses than will a Narrow in other brands.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Default XN Tree

Thanks for all of your advice. I would definitely wait, but I am not sure when I will be buying a horse. Probably not any time soon since the economy has not been that nice to me. I actually have a terrible back, and the County seems to be the only saddle that allows me to ride more than a a couple days a week. My back gets so bad on other saddles, that I sometimes have to get off the horse. I have ridden in the XN on a few other horses, and it actually seems to fit them. The one TB I ride is older and done growing, and he loves the XN County. So I will try it out a little longer, but I after speaking to County about the fit I am a little more confident in getting the XN. I guess it will fit more like a Medium narrow.