The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Luckily, I don't watch much tv and only listen to satellite radio so I wasn't force fed this horrific event ad nauseum. It is frankly wallowing far too long in a tragedy and now I view it as simply a money making venture for the media and an a politically motivated tool for the politicians. A better way would have been a quiet day of contemplation, meditation and if it is up your alley, prayer.

Today, I rode, bathed and groomed horses and cleaned tack. A perfect ending to a lovely weekend without the first taint of 9-11 media overkill.

I have to add here that it seems like the Pentagon and Shanksville get virtually ignored in the anniversary coverage.

Yes, I know more died in the WTC attacks. I know those plane strikes heralded what was to come. I know there is more footage available from that site, and more witnesses.

But Shanksville had its memorial unveiled today. Are those victims, and those of the Pentagon attack, forever to lie in the shadow of New York City?

Mr. Chief feels that he lived through it, he's dealt with it, and having come from a family of firefighters he knows very well what went on. He doesn't have to keep seeing and hearing about what went on. So, the coverage stayed shut off. I, on the other hand, having had a cousin survive the attack on the Pentagon, and feeling NYC very near and dear to my heart, find many of my thought's centered on prayer for all of those lost in such a tragedy. I still think the Budweiser Horses said it best. Quiet respect and reverence for those lost to the heavens above. The WTC memorial slays me.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenlake View Post
    My father is a WWII vet, and was part of the D-Day invasion.
    And from the rest of us, a THANK YOU to your father for his courage!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I had to squeeze in history--that isn't part of No Child Left Behind you know.
    That's a disgusting sentiment. Federal regulation gives us no time to teach about the moments in our country's history that really make us who we are? Sad, sad, sad.

If we don't take advantage of our media outlets to remember the magnitude of what happened, we are at greater risk to grow numb to it. What a complete disservice and dishonor that would be to those who were truly tortured on that day. It is deeply painful to watch, but it's nothing compared to what they endured and I am selfish enough to say I will take my pain over theirs any day.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by pandorasboxx View Post
    Luckily, I don't watch much tv and only listen to satellite radio so I wasn't force fed this horrific event ad nauseum. It is frankly wallowing far too long in a tragedy and now I view it as simply a money making venture for the media and an a politically motivated tool for the politicians. A better way would have been a quiet day of contemplation, meditation and if it is up your alley, prayer.

Today, I rode, bathed and groomed horses and cleaned tack. A perfect ending to a lovely weekend without the first taint of 9-11 media overkill.
    Most of what I watched was uninterupted - as in no advertisements at all. I can't really understand how this was a way for politicians to capitalize...that just leaves me scratching my head.

Perhaps for those that live far from the east coast will never truly understand the impact of this day on people who live here- or perhaps this is just a select few- but I find some of the comments on this thread quite disrespectful and shallow for those of us who were greatly impacted by 9-11-01.

As others have said, turn the TV off if you don't want to watch, but this is definitely one of those times to keep your thoughts to yourself.

on a side note, the continual feed of the Kardashians on TV, & at the check out counter at the grocery store - now that is offensive!

Question

Gloriginger, that's very sad that you were impacted in such a way that 10 years later it is still very real. I hope that you will be able to move on someday.

Btw, I live very close to DC so no, i don't live in BFE. I also worked for Pan Am when the Lockerbie bombing took down one of our planes with many of my colleagues. I understand why people are drawn to the coverage. I just choose not to dwell ad infinitum on 9-11.

I lived and was drawn to the TV for weeks after it occurred, crying and grieving for those that died and for their loved ones. However, people die in terrible ways all over the world throughout history. The Rwandan Genocide, Nazi concentration camps and Hiroshima come to mind among other tragedies. Large scale human suffering that is almost overwhelming in its reality. Terror attacks are not new in history whether one dies or thousands.

Not everyone treats this issue the same. It is not disrespect. That is such a shallow way of viewing the world. I chose not to drown in this 24-7 grief coverage. I'm not sure why rehashing every minute detail of that day equates with respect. YMMV.
    Last edited by pandorasboxx; Sep. 12, 2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: clarification

Hiddenlake, please go hug your father! Tell him it is from me, because I can't hug my WWII vet any more.

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

I just have to add an update for those who asked me to thank and/or hug my father for his service to our country.

The last post on this thread was September 12. I told my dad about those of you who thanked him, and I hugged him for you.

He died September 22.

Good God, I miss him more than anything. But I am so glad he got those extra moments courtesy of people who never knew him.

On behalf of my dad, thank you all so much.

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

My father was a WWII vet, sole survivor of an attack in the Aluetion Islands (i know I spelled it wrong). It is painfull to remember that day 9/11, but I married a fireman and those brave men and women are not forgotten.

I am so very sorry about someone saying something so rude to a WWII vet. My uncle fought in France, and whenever I get the chance to speak with men of that generation I thank them. My father never recovered from his emotional wounds but my children know of his sacrifice. I never saw this post last month I guess I was to busy trying to forget.

Edited because I couldn't read well through my tears and I am so sorry about your dad. People forget what a hellish war WWII was.

I am so sorry for your loss. Godspeed.

I just have to add an update for those who asked me to thank and/or hug my father for his service to our country.

The last post on this thread was September 12. I told my dad about those of you who thanked him, and I hugged him for you.

He died September 22.

Good God, I miss him more than anything. But I am so glad he got those extra moments courtesy of people who never knew him.

On behalf of my dad, thank you all so much.
    So, so, sorry for your loss.

As for that clerk. She should be fired. And then sent back to school for a proper education.

Hiddenlake- So sorry to hear about your dad's passing. Now please give yourself a hug.