The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't deal with this...

Why is it that networks force us, as viewers, to relive the events of this day over and over again ten years later? There is a difference between remembrance and psychological torture. Why can we not respect the loss of lives that occurred as a result of the attacks themselves and the subsequent war that followed rather than make people watch others dying over and over again?
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Turn off the television and remember things in your own way.

That is why God invented the remote.

Um...watch cable/satellite? I don't know why anyone watches the old-fashioned networks anyway. I've managed to watch "No Reservations" today, PBS was running "The Madness of King George", got "Prince Caspian" on right now...I think some networks are deliberately counter-programming.

Or shut the TV off. I went to the barn today. I saw the Pentagon fire in person, I really don't need to rewatch it (not that many things ever mention the DC aspect, since we all had to go back to 'normal' + added security the next day.)

Media is selective. And we can select to walk away or turn it off.

For those who want to remember, it's there. For those who have a hard time with the constant reminders, there's the choice of turning it off.

Had it not been remembered on a large scale...that would be beyond horrible. IMO, not enough people are remembering the full extent of it.

I've actually been gobsmacked at how many people have posted online or on FB stuff like, "It's been 10 years, get over it already!"

The instant information age seems to be bombarded by so much information that it ceases to have much meaning or impact anymore.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I stocked up a bunch of shows on my DVR so I'd have plenty of other things to watch today if I wanted to watch TV. I agree the we can remember and honor without having those images blazed in front of us over and over.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I was going to bed last night and had on "Hero's of the 88th Floor". They showed a woman that was stuck in the elevator and the fire swooped up/down and charred her and the people that made it out, were explaining how it was to see her walk out of the elevator like a charred mummy. It was all I could watch, I turned it off, saddened and in disbelief of what those people went through. Now granted it was a re-enactment, but my mind could totally visualize what these people saw. I have to agree....at first it all intrigued me, now it just makes me sad.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

I haven't watched any of the TV coverage but I have been reading the occassional story and found some of them to be quite moving - this piece in the NYT on what people kept is a good example. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/08/us...lics.html?_r=1

I feel like the 10-year mark is a big capstone. I do believe this will be the last major saturation anniversary. Yes, it can feel over the top at times, but it was the defining event of our lifetimes, like it or not. I have been pleasantly surprised that many of the remembrances, to me, have felt tasteful and sincere. It's refreshing since 9/11 has become shorthand for political bigotry and warmongering.

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

Everyone deals with pain in their own way. If it hurts you to watch it, turn it off as others before me have suggested. Nobody is forcing you.

It is indeed very painful, but there is value in remembering events like this, particularly for those who were too young to recall the day. My son is 12, and he was riveted to the National Geographic Channel tonight when they ran their special. He's the kind of kid who stands up in front of the TV and holds his hand over his heart when the National Anthem plays before games. He was moved to tears multiple times today and vowed to join the service someday to support his country.

If we don't take advantage of our media outlets to remember the magnitude of what happened, we are at greater risk to grow numb to it. What a complete disservice and dishonor that would be to those who were truly tortured on that day. It is deeply painful to watch, but it's nothing compared to what they endured and I am selfish enough to say I will take my pain over theirs any day.
    Last edited by hiddenlake; Sep. 11, 2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: The cabernet is yummy but it makes me skip words

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

It is a bit overwhelming, the TV coverage. Every time, for the last 10 years, that I thought about the events of 9-11-01, I cry. Every. single. time. It is profoundly sad, and it forever changed us as US citizens. I don't want to watch re-enactments.

I am glad though, that I live in a country that allows me other programming choices, or even the opportunity to get involved in other activities of my choosing, rather than watching those programs.

Question

They' re not "forcing" you to anything...
    I listened to the coverage on NPR and found it trespectful, touching and appropriate.
    Had it not been so I would have turned it off.

My father is a WWII vet, and was part of the D-Day invasion.

Several years ago, he was standing in a checkout line on June 6. He asked the young clerk if she knew what the day meant, and she shook her head. He told her it was the anniversary of D-Day and that he had taken part. She stared at him for a moment and said "shame on you."

Aside from the immediate pain she caused my father, she had no idea that the reason she could say something that horrible without a knock on the door at night is because of people like my dad who fought for this country.

That's why we need to remember tragedies like 9/11, no matter how much they might hurt. Thousands of innocent people and their families need to know we won't turn away.

hiddenlake, I'm so sorry for your dad. Is it possible (I'm thinking yes) that she didn't actually know what D-Day was? Otherwise, the reaction is incomprehensible.
    "I was walking through the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what He charged for bookshelves."

There are media trucks blasting remembrance through the windows in your neighborhood?

Because they're not in mine, thankfully. I have retained control over my media devices. Iron Chef America appears thus far to not force me to do anything but experience hunger.

Hiddenlake... for your Dad.

And yep, IMO that's why there needs to be some major network reminders. Freedom isn't free folks.

And some people on this planet hate to the point of insanity. Just because we're a country who's insane murderers are called serial killers and not overly common doesn't mean there aren't entire groups of them out there who still believe in genocide.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I agree MMorgan, I think it's entirely possible she didn't understand. But if she didn't, it's either because she didn't listen in school or because over the years D-Day has lost the level of meaning it had back then and it's not given a lot of attention.

That's why I think it's so important to remember tragedies like 9/11. Otherwise those who come after us will gradually lose touch with the pain associated with that day. I know that's going to happen eventually anyway, but I will do my part to remember the lessons we learned and share them with my kids.

hiddenlake, there is no excuse for her to say that he should be ashamed of himself, even if she is ignorant (especially if she is) to what D-Day was. Your dad is a hero, as are all the men who stormed the beaches at Normandy. And I agree, this is why we should make it available to those who want to tune in--so that we never forget, it stays fresh in our minds and we don't become desensitized to its importance. I think we owe that too to those who were victims.
    "I was walking through the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what He charged for bookshelves."

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Hiddenlake... for your Dad.

And yep, IMO that's why there needs to be some major network reminders. Freedom isn't free folks.
    Thanks MB. My dad is a classy, gentle soul and a true patriot, it breaks my heart to think of how he felt when she said that to him. Good thing I wasn't there, I probably would have done something to her that put me on the evening news.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I hear the OP is saying. I live as far from NYC as you can get, I had no personal connections to the tragedies that day. It was horrific, shocking and saddening. But... I am weary of the specials, the songs, the tributes, the reminders. There, I said it! I remember. I've thought about 9/11 and prayed for them today.

I missed my regular NPR shows today. I haven't turned on the TV. I read a book, futzed around on here and did those Sunday chores I need to do. But, OP I get what you mean. I remember.

I am a teacher. We taught 9/11 on Friday, to kids too young to remember. I had to squeeze in history--that isn't part of No Child Left Behind you know.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I admit I haven't had the tv on much today, but when I woke up this morning and did my personal meditation and devotions there was definitely a different feeling to the connection. My mentor said the same thing when we were talking a few hours later. I still feel that things aren't right today.

My mom said that at church today that 9/11 wasn't even mentioned. She and my dad were very upset by this.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!