The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Juicing?

So thanks to my SO, I now have an awesome Breville juicer. Is anyone else on the juicing trend? I love experimenting with different fruit and veggie juices.
    It is crazy how much veggies and fruit you must juice to produce one glass. Juicing is especially great in the summer here, when I lack the energy and desire to heat up the kitchen...

I like to combine rainbow chard, oranges, celery, carrots, apples, ginger.... I love carrot juice but I don't love the orange "carrot mustache" sipping it gives you
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"

In the spring i went diving in Mexico. The resort had this green juice every morning at breakfast and holy green mustache, that stuff was awesome! I've been trying to remember what was in it but I know it had oranges or tangerines and cilantro, and celery... What else?? It was so good that I would have three or five small glasses each morning before the diving*

At first the kitchen and wait staff were flattered that I liked the juice so much. As the week wore on, their enthusiam waned a bit as I would approach the juice bar like a rabid zombie, frothing (green) at the mouth :-)

*after two coffees, five cups of juice and a glass of water at breakfast, by the time we boarded the boat and arrived at the first dive site, I was ready to pop. But then, there are two types of divers: those who pee in their wet suits, and those who lie about peeing in their wet suits. Hehe.

My bio mom got into juicing in the later stages of her cancer. I forget what she would put in, but yes she was definitely a fan of ginger and carrots!
    Last edited by bits619; Aug. 16, 2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Auto correct
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I've never understood how anyone can like wheatgrass juice - it tastes like you're eating boiled lawn clippings! But health food stores made some good money at one time selling Dixie cups of it for $1 apiece.

I do like citrus juices, pineapple juice - anything without extra sugar in it - I just want the fruit juice itself. I can't quite wrap my brain (or my mouth) around some of the more esoteric ones. Lots of people rave about their "breakfast smoothies" that include spinach juice. Retch. I love spinach, but not like that and not for breakfast.

My fiance has a juicer (not sure what kind, but it's nice!) and we LOVE juicing. We buy pretty much anything we think the juicer can handle and make up all sorts of crazy recipes. It is very tasty (sometimes interesting!) and I always feel rejuvenated and healthy after drinking some fresh juice.

I used to love juicing but hated that some of the most nutritious parts (the pulp) ended up in the wastebasket. I know you can use some of the fruit pulp in recipes...but...

Last year I bought the HealthMaster VS machine from QVC. It grinds everything into juice, soup, sauces - whatever you are making. Came with an awesome recipe book! Now I am literally drinking the ENTIRE fruit and/or vegetable. It will grind entire apples, chicken (for soups)! The soups are amazing (it even heats as it grinds!) It is a super-sturdy machine! The recipe book has over 300 recipes. I sound like an infomercial but really, one of the best things I ever bought for my health and my family.

I need help: I saw the title of this thread, and I assumed it was about sports steroid use.

Fruit & veg juices: I skipped from buying a juicer and instead I puree the entire fruit, once seeds are removed. I don't lose the fiber this way and nothing is wasted in the trash. I do it in my Cuisinart or blender. You can make smoothies out of all sorts of things!

Just an fyi for the lazy readers (like me, admittedly). I just tried one of the Naked brand juice drinks and it was delightful. It is the Green Machine one, and though the smell is just a tiny, faintly-so... Off to me, I still really liked the taste.
    Their mango one is also amazing!

(I've tried some odwalla drinks and while one or two were OK, a few were SO NASTY... They were the ones with whey protein in them. Just took gritty and sand like to swallow. Now I'll stay away from any of those that say protein punch or similar. Yuck!

Anyway, I'm sure there are millions of recipes online but for ideas while you're at the store, check out the labels of those drinks, esp mango madness and green machine :-)
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

OH MY GOD YES.

Seriously--my new hobby.

I have been juicing for roughly 3 weeks and I am so happy I bought my juicer! I got a simple model for $70 through Amazon.

My morning juice has replaced my breakfast and gives me energy. Seriously--if I don't juice now I feel weird! (I also sound like I'm proselytizing to anyone who will listen haha)

Anyways. I have juiced: celery, kale (not a fan in the juicer--will stick to only salad), rainbow chard, dandelion greens (awesome!!), lemon, apples, carrots (I keep my fruits to a minimum), and fresh ginger.

I try to stick to lots of greens and am going through a ton! Mine is pretty simple to clean but I really need to scrub it or run it through the dishwasher to get it grime free.

ETA: As for the juice pulp. I have used it to make veggie burgers that were so-so. I also have done some hunting for other recipes & trying to make the time. Luckily I live near a Whole Foods so I mostly collect the pulp over the week and then take it to the compost bin in Whole Foods (customer service said this was a-ok). I really hate throwing veggies/fruits out!

Congratulations on your juicer. That's a really nice one.

I go through phases with the juicer.

The last time, I went on a serious carrot binge. Carrot juice. Carrot/beet juice (my fave rave). More carrot juice.

I went to see my doctor about something completely unrelated to juicing and was surprised when he asked me if I eat a lot of carrots. I said, "Yes, why?" He said, "Because your skin is orange." I asked him if I was eating too many carrots. He said, "No, it will just make your skin orange."

So now I try to exercise some restraint when I go on a carrot juicing binge.
    The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
    www.reflectionsonriding.com

Can we resurrect this thread? My parents just gave me their Jack LaLanne juicer and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. How much $ do you spend on fresh fruit/veggies to juice? It seems like it would add up. Do you drink the juice as a meal replacement? Some of the recipes in the little booklet use potatoes. Really? Isn't that kind of starchy? Are there that many nutrients in a potato that makes it good for juicing?

And finally, what are your favorite things to juice?

My best friend went on a 10-day juice fast after watching the documentary "Fat, Sick, and Almost Dead" (on Netflix) and he lost 12lbs and swears he feels healthier. I'm not exactly the hardcore-fasting type, but extra nutrients can't hurt, right?

Good timing for the resurrection! Ive been juicing.. did the three day fast and loved it. Have been regularly replacing some meals with juice and feel great, no hunger, in fact its regulated my appetite so I dont overeat and just eat a little when Im hungry ( I know , easy right?). Its really kick started some weight loss for me. I like beets, carrots and ginger.. but also kale, beets, celery, apple and a bit of lemon. All sorts of mixes!
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

I really like fresh juice, but I haven't even taken the juicer (a Breville) out of the box since I moved. It's just too messy and a massive hassle to clean. But if I can get a

What I did find I love is if I'm using fruits or vegetables, either one is improved by juicing a bunch of fresh parsley with it.