The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cool Disturbing things you learn about friends via Facebook

I am friends with someone who I knew from high school and just so happens to participate in eventing as do I. Without FB, I doubt we would have connected otherwise since I didn't know her married name.

She warned me she uses FB a lot to express her political views, but I had no idea how much of a racist she is. Her posts are often quite disturbing as she is quite clear about her hatred for our President as well as people who's skin color isn't white.

In person she is really nice, and one would not guess she has such strong views, but I had to start blocking her posts because many of her FB "friends" have the same views, and the comments can be really bad.

Anyone else surprised by what they have learned about people via Facebook?
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

-- There was a geeky/smart guy I was practically best friends with in high school that is now a part of a skinhead group. Thankfully, I could see his photos before sending him my friend request.

-- It seems the fit ones from college are now fat and the fat ones are now fit.

-- The most drop-dead gorgeous girl from college (for at least a decade) is one of the few people from my time in college that's still single and without kids. This is VERY unsettling to me for some reason.

-- Bad parenting skills. For the whole world to see.
    The dude abides ...

thanks for the reminder not to put too much on there
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    thanks for the reminder not to put too much on there
    That's so true. I heard about a guy who posted a complaint about his job, forgetting he was connected with his boss. He got fired the next day.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

yeah, I made one for my husband, so I didn't have to friend my kid, and be in turn visible to my inlaws....

(which reminds me...I have not seen my nephew on, only his wife...do they give cops the notion they should not be visible in such a personal manner?)
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

A long time ago, I unfriendedd someone because she kept putting her written sex acts on, both male and female. Like I wanted to know in any shape or form!!

I am so careful with my FB page. Only have MY fam and a couple of close friends. That's MY fam, not hubby's fam...for a reason...and, yes, hubby knows and knows why.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Be careful what you post - a nurse went to court because she posted something like she partied all night and hoped she'd be sober for work the next day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    do NOT give your 5 year old child a big bag of apples and send her out alone into a herd of 20-some horses to get mobbed. There are better ways to dispose of unwanted children.

Quote Originally Posted by mackandblues View Post
    Be careful what you post - a nurse went to court because she posted something like she partied all night and hoped she'd be sober for work the next day.
    Exactly. I don't post anything that I would not want my dad to see. Mostly I comment about my horses and benign things like that.

I'm a little disturbed and disappointed in a few of my old HS classmates' political views... Though none of them come as a surprise, I guess. Sigh.
    And a few other classmates are now like Whooooa-dang trainwrecks. Just... Daaaang. A woman of our age (no, of ANY age) should be above posting drunken boob shots, uneven-squint drunk faces, various stages of undress,... Just another typical 'crazy night'...?! Really? Because that is just so trashy.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

The whole thing creeps me out. I have an account without my name it on that I barely use for something else. Some major creep is stalking me now. How do you block someone? I seriously do not know how to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    Exactly. I don't post anything that I would not want my dad to see. Mostly I comment about my horses and benign things like that.
    Same here except I don't post anything I wouldn't want my son to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    The whole thing creeps me out. I have an account without my name it on that I barely use for something else. Some major creep is stalking me now. How do you block someone? I seriously do not know how to do this.
    It's relatively easy:

http://romcartridge.blogspot.com/201...-facebook.html

I am constantly amazed by the stuff people put out there on FB. I feel like there's a lot of people who don't know how the internet works.... for example, people who have been message board/forum participants for lots of years learn some netiquette and *usually* have an understanding of what and what not to put out there.

But FB has become such a widespread... epidemic.... and 95% of people on it seem to want to use it as a platform or a soapbox. Or they don't realize that the shit you put out there, stays out there!

I dunno. A lot of people I thought I liked well enough.... have turned out to be kinda bonkers, at least if I use their FB material as a gauge! On the other hand, I've gotten to know and like some people better, too.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Haven't come across anything too radical, but I get really annoyed with the people who chronicle their every move throughout the day. I don't give a rat's a** that you're going to the grocery store, and then what you're cooking for dinner from said grocery store, and then that your stomach is upset after eating the crap you cooked for dinner, etc., etc.

I posted about one personal facebook incident on the eventing forum. I was going to lease a horse to someone that I didn't know very well. Because of her facebook postings I changed my mind. I could still be proven wrong, but I saw red flags everywhere.

As far as tasteless behaviour it has verified what I had only previously "suspected" about some friends. So, in other words, not TOO surprising.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

true, you chronicle your life on FB, don't be surprised when it bites you in the back side.
    I hear it's not are for people to announce their 2 week annual vacation only to come home to a cleaned out house.....

I suppose there is still that disconnect between sitting at home in your PJs and being open to billions of people like you could not be on an internationally televised concert.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Look under the Account section on your profile page in the upper right hand corner if I remember correctly. Go to the Help area in the dropdown and type in Block. There's a description of things you can do if you want to and what they will change.

FB has some weird internal processes and people can seem to turn up constantly on lists, etc., when there may be nothing really to it, particularly if you don't use your account much to post updates or send messages. Nothing stays the same there on FB long enough to know for sure what anything signifies.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Found out a friend from college who had been a man is now a woman. She's happy and I'm cool with that, gives me another friend to go shopping with.

Some surprising political views, seems to kind of know a lot of Tea Party types.

Reinforces that some people I know aren't too bright (waiting for the "pray for my son, he's in the hospital" post think winter from one friend who is planning on waterbath canning meat... I tried to warn her...)

Even more of my dog friends have horses than I thought, I swear almost all of them do!

I blocked the feed of someone who was constantly posting about her "smoking hot" husband. Once or twice is cute. A million times is barf worthy.
    As an aside, I vow to never repost any status that tells you to repost at the end no matter how much I may agree with it. I can decide if it's worth reposting without your help, thank you very much!

I've found out that the younger generation of my family seems to think the world wants to know and see every....little....thing...they...do.

WTF? I don't care that you just got to work, just arrived at Walmarts, exactly what you made for dinner, etc. I'm on FB mainly to keep up with family...but minute to minute accounts are a little much.

I was also surprised at how many people have issues with the English language. I did think this was a generational thing...but then I realized we just see more things typed/written now and it's through all ages. However I am surprised that people seem to type as much as they actually speak now and yet aren't improving at it. Eh, as long as I can make out what they're trying to say.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

too many smartphones...
    (www.damnyouautocorrect.com )