The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Why were my CL horse posts "alerted" on but others NOT?

Okay out there in Coth land, this is a VENT. I posted links to several TBs listed free or dirt cheap that I have run across on craig's list while looking for hay, but was told by Mod 1 that mine were removed because "someone" alerted on them. In other words someone complained.

What I want to know is why "someone" or several "someones" decided the horses I had linked to were "undeserving" of getting any attention, but OTHER people's CL horse links have been left alone? Anyone?

I want to make it perfectly clear that I have absolutely NO INTEREST - ownership wise or otherwise in any of the horses I posted - other than wanting to bring their plight to other horse lovers' attention.

I will note there are still several posts up about OTHER CL horses posted by OTHER cothers, and then there are the posts that are put up about the BROKER OWNED horses being fronted or promoted by various "rescues" and their "friends and supporters."

I really don't thank COTH is missing out on any ad revenues because people point out horses on CL and post links here. I think there should be a place somewhere on coth where people who want to call attention to cheap horses on CL can post the links.

Some of us don't have the money to help EVERY horse in need, but we do have the time to try to get the word about these horses to others who may be in a position to help.

I think the horses listed for $500 and under on CL are really just one step away from being loaded on a dealer's truck anyway. They will eventually end up going through an auction, and then maybe even heading off to slaughter. Some of thes are nice horses.

Shouldn't we be pro-active? What is the difference between someone posting a CL link for a cheap hroses and the people who post links and beg for help in "bailing out" horses on a horse dealer's feed lot?

If you read this, thanks for your time. Please feel free to comment.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Mine got yanked too. Apparently linking to ads for horses for sale on Craigslist violates the COTH BB rules.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

You might be best served by asking the Moderator, not the board.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Quote Originally Posted by hitchinmygetalong View Post
    You might be best served by asking the Moderator, not the board.
    It's more fun to shame the alerters.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

There is zero "shame" in alerting a post. Also, since you will never know who did it, what's the point, other than to stir the pot?
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

I feel your pain. I posted that I was excited to be getting a new broodmare, Sophie's dam. Mod 1 yanked it because she said it was advertising my breeding program
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Well dang. I am sorry, Bayou Bengal, perhaps my effort to get the mare in Philly into new digs (posted by someone else) got someones panties into a wad. Sometimes people hate to see horses in need get attention. Odd but true. Perhaps they will out themselves and explain their position?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I suppose it depends how the hormones tickle a reader.
    CL ads are generally off limits, the mods humor us leaving them up.

I would not put too much stake in it (unless it came with a point)

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

We were a bit slap happy last night. I was on fever watch for LMEqT, thats my excuse, yours?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

As explained to the OP in our initial note to her re: her thread being removed, and in a subsequent reply to her follow-up. Per our posting policies, we don't allow posting of horses available for sale, regardless of affiliation or not with the animal.

We appreciate that posts like these are made in a good-hearted effort to draw attention to horses in need, but they are not allowed per our posting policies, which every poster agreed to upon registration with this site.

Advertising Policy Specifics
    When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.
    Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.
    At this time, we allow occasional posts re: horses available through 501c3 organization's trainer or broker listings, per above.

As is the case with any thread or post on the site, except for in Giveaways, Classifieds, Missing Horses, etc., it does not pass through any sort of moderation queue before being posted. We receive alerts re: potential issues from members of the community and address them as they come in. As in this case, after we learned that there was some confusion stemming from other CL threads being active as well, we went out to find and remove similar threads that were currently active.

These are the rules of the site. It's fine if there was some confusion about posting CL ads re: sale horses; it's now been clarified.

Thanks ~
    Mod 1