The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can a Junior Show in both Children's Hunters and Junior Hunters at the Same Show?

I think I know the answer to this question, but I just want to make sure before I sound like an idiot. Can a junior rider show one horse in the Children's Hunters and a different horse in the Junior Hunters at the same show A rated show?

Depends on your zone, check the zone rules.

Ditto. Mostly out west they can...but never on the same horse.
    "Every century a witch shall be born."

PonyPenny is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

Are the Zone rules on the USEF website? Having a hard time locating them.

Zone 10

Children’s Hunters:
    Open to horses and ponies to be ridden by Junior Exhibitors. Horses or riders may not cross enter into any Junior Hunter Class at the same show. Riders may not cross enter into First Year, Second Year or Regular Working Hunters at the same show. Children Riders may not cross enter into any class at the same show with fences exceeding 3’3” except Children’s Jumpers, Junior/Amateur Modified Jumpers, Equitation and Medal Classes, and the USHJA National Hunter Classic. A Children’s Hunter rider may ride a Junior Hunter in the Junior Hunter Under Saddle Class. No cross entry restrictions at one-day shows. Fence height: 3’; spreads not to exceed fence height. Horses and ponies will not be jogged for soundness. If a separate Children’s Hunter Pony Division is offered, fences must be set at 2’ for small/medium ponies and 2’6 for large ponies, spreads may not exceed fence height. Riders may not cross enter in any division where the fences exceed 3’3” (except Children’s Jumpers).
    Justice will only be achieved when those who are not injured by crime feel as indignant as those who are. - King Soloman (970-928 B.C.)

Original Poster

I found them and it is ok in the zone I was curious about.

Original Poster

Thanks Release First. I was curious about zones 7 & 8. I guess their rules are different than zone 10 at least how I read it.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Zone 8 you can cross enter, but not on the same horse.

Though that may change next year??? I thought I read something about all of the zones having a consistent rule and the current USEF default if a zone doesn't have their own rule is no cross entry between those two divisions.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Honestly, I find it ridiculous the divisions you are allowed to cross enter. Pony hunters and junior hunters? Childrens and juniors? Even the smalls and larges seem like a stretch! Juniors can even do the gps and the pony hunters at the same show (I believe, don't quote me on this), how is that fair?!

If you show in the regular pony hunters, you may not show over 3'6" at the same show.

Original Poster

It is more complicated and hard to remember these days since USHJA was started and all the zones having different rules. If you show in different zones, like my daughter does, it must be hard to keep it all straight. Her trainer keeps on top of things, but sometimes mistakes are made. I was also informed that you can't show in the USEF Pony Medal and do the 3'6" national medals even if you ride a large pony. Navigating USEF rules and the USHJA Zone rules makes my head hurt and it is easier to ask questions here. Thank you all for your responses.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Definitely confusing. About the best you can do is remember that the different zones have different rules and make sure to look them up if you show outside your zone.

I had the fun of calling out a consultant BNT from the east coast who didn't realize that our zone 10 cross entry rules were more restrictive and apparently didn't think to look it up. Kind of funny that the casual ammy was correct on the rules.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    Ditto. Mostly out west they can...but never on the same horse.
    This. I know in our zone, it is allowed as long as it is not on the same horse. I'm pretty sure that's fairly standard, but someone correct me if I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Molly99 View Post
    If you show in the regular pony hunters, you may not show over 3'6" at the same show.
    Haha true, I got a little carried away.

Still doesn't seem fair you can show in pony hunters and junior hunters!