The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sores on heel & coronary band

This was posted in another forum but I haven't gotten a response and could use COTH input and support. We're in NoVA where we've had a lot of wetness lately but this problem started before that.

My gelding has sores on the heels of 3 feet. The sores start out a little smaller than a pencil eraser and then spread out and eventually join. He's now got a small sore starting in his frog. There are sores/small swellings along portions of the coronary band also.

Fortunately, he does NOT have blisters in his mouth, tongue, lips, etc. There is no cauliflower/proud flesh kind of growth.

The vet came out 3 days ago -- (I'd been treating these sores for about a week with Betadine) and suggested that I keep my horse in the stall where he'd keep dry. Also putting the pink zinc ointment that has scarlet oil in it on the front feet and Wound Kote (purple spray) on the rears. I do this about 3 - 4 times a day. Plus handwalk. It's difficult for me to tell about the sores on the coronary band but the sores on the heels are spreading. There's also a new hole in one of the frogs. She said she could do a scraping off the coronary band but didn't want to do that if we could take care of it with the ointment/spray. We're using two different treatments (spray & cream) because we're not sure which will do the best in the quickest manner. There is a kind of scabby/scratches on pasterns of one of the hinds so I sprayed that also with the purple stuff. He's actually very colorful. His stall is kept dry and clean.

The entire heel area is not covered with sores, nor the entire coronary band -- but the sores are spreading and I'd like to get him better before it gets worse. He is not lame. Did I say that this horse is the love of my life?

Has anyone dealt with this? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

If it's scratches, go buy some Ichthammol oinment NOW. It will kill the stuff better than anything else. Clean the area really well (won't hurt sores at all either) and then dry it well. SLATHER the stuff on and leave it over night. The next morning the scabs and crust are soft enough that you can easily pick it off and you need to pick it off. Repeat the cleaning, drying and application Keep doing it until it's gone and the sores are healing and have GOOD scabs on them. Don't let it get any worse. You'll end up with scaring if you do.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Velvet, thanks. The vet said it's not scratches. I've treated scratches before and this is not at all like scratches.
    Thanks again.

I'm no vet, and I'm not questioning all the sprays and ointments that your vet and the above-poster already suggested, but consider whether all that stuff you're slathering on is preventing your horse's skin and feet from breathing. Sometimes the best treatment for conditions broughton by moisture is fresh, dry air. If ambient humidity is high, consider keeping a fan aimed at your horses legs as many hours a day if possible, keep him on very dry ground and bedding, minimize washing until the condition is under control, and if you must wet the areas, towel dry every inch of his legs and feet. Horse hooves are like sponges, and his need a chance to completely dry out instead of absorbing additional moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by twhs View Post
    This was posted in another forum but I haven't gotten a response and could use COTH input and support. We're in NoVA where we've had a lot of wetness lately but this problem started before that.

My gelding has sores on the heels of 3 feet. The sores start out a little smaller than a pencil eraser and then spread out and eventually join. He's now got a small sore starting in his frog. There are sores/small swellings along portions of the coronary band also.

Fortunately, he does NOT have blisters in his mouth, tongue, lips, etc. There is no cauliflower/proud flesh kind of growth.

The vet came out 3 days ago -- (I'd been treating these sores for about a week with Betadine) and suggested that I keep my horse in the stall where he'd keep dry. Also putting the pink zinc ointment that has scarlet oil in it on the front feet and Wound Kote (purple spray) on the rears. I do this about 3 - 4 times a day. Plus handwalk. It's difficult for me to tell about the sores on the coronary band but the sores on the heels are spreading. There's also a new hole in one of the frogs. She said she could do a scraping off the coronary band but didn't want to do that if we could take care of it with the ointment/spray. We're using two different treatments (spray & cream) because we're not sure which will do the best in the quickest manner. There is a kind of scabby/scratches on pasterns of one of the hinds so I sprayed that also with the purple stuff. He's actually very colorful. His stall is kept dry and clean.

The entire heel area is not covered with sores, nor the entire coronary band -- but the sores are spreading and I'd like to get him better before it gets worse. He is not lame. Did I say that this horse is the love of my life?

Has anyone dealt with this? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Can you post photos?

Earlier this year, my horse started developing these sores...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...t=IMG00201.jpg

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...t=IMG00200.jpg

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...t=IMG00199.jpg

There was some thought of scratches, of mites UNDER the skin... but eventually we decided he was itching the leg due to itchiness at a surgical site elsewhere on the leg that he couldn't really get to.

Treatment with Animax cured the sores. I'm still not 100% convinced that's what they were.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Thanks, Lamb and Vxf. I did try the keep 'em dry and let the air get to it and the sores grew. Although at that point, he was turned out at night and came in during the day -- no rain then but grass was damp in early morning. The sores do not look like the ones that VXF posted.

I had not thought of the humidity tho and during his stall period -- when the sores began -- I did not have the fan going because it was cooler here. It's always something, isn't it?

The vet is coming out again in a few hours. She said we'd probably put him on some antibiotics. I'll let you know.

Thanks again for posting. Just having you listening and providing input helps enormously.

Are the sores on white markings only? Clover in your turnouts? Some horses develop a photosensitive allergic reaction after eating a certain type of clover. White markings on legs, face may blister and develop sores similar to scratches. Also can affect the liver, so finding out if this is what's bugging your horse is important.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Melissa -- no white markings but you have certainly given me something to think about because Indy is sensitive to clover. We've had the pastures sprayed but that was two years ago and, of course, it's back. I have not noticed him drooling tho. He's a chestnut and when he's outside during the day in the summer, he gets white spots -- think they're called snowflakes -- so I have him in during the day -- BUT right before the problem started with the heel & coronary band, the weather was so nice that I had him outside for a big portion of the day plus out at night. That's definitely something to consider.

The vet came out this afternoon and he's now on SMZ and I apply animax to the heel sores and the coronary bands. We're hoping this does the trick.

Thanks again.

Found a reference... looks like white areas are most affected, but not only.

http://www.understanding-horse-nutri...ke-clover.html
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Thanks, Melissa. The description doesn't sound liike Indy's sores but I'll contact our vet anyway.

Have you tried the stuff they put on babies for diaper sores? Desitin or something? Maybe try it on one foot to see if it helps.

Good luck!

do your sores look like little circles that are more like shalow 'holes' in the coronary band? Does the rest of the band and the heels look like they are lighter in color and sort of like the way your hands may get if you have been in the tub for too long... that 'pruney-look' ? And almost like you took that pencil eraser and made indentations?

If so it is the wetness. This happened to my gelding a few years back. I took off his bell boots and put him in a sacrifice paddock with shorter grass in the attempt to let him dry out a bit. And they are back again, I have pulled the bell boots so that the air can get to the coronary band to allow it to dry more and try to keep him from standing in the wet grass and such. Now as well as in the past there was no infection or pain just ugliness and a bit of a scare.

I posted something similar on the Horse Care section...

The horse we have that has similar symptoms as yours is being treated with White Lightening. Check it out on line.

The symptoms "look" like Coronary Distrophy though we are told that it is rare. At this point no determination as to origin. Using the White Lightening for a week and then rechecking. It seems to be helping. Horse is in out of the wet grass and mud...

Stella, Yes, that is the exact discription of what I'm looking at. And feeling: scared. Thank goodness, he doesn't look like any of those coronary distrophy pictures. My fear is that it would get to that point. It does seem to be clearning up now.

Thank you so very much for your description and input. Do you have any idea how much better you make me feel?

glad I could help. I know how you were feeling when you first saw your horse with these craters in his hoof and wondering what bug or critter is burrowing into him and when was his hoof going to fall off. The amazing crazy stuff that went through my head when we first had this a few years ago FREAKED ME OUT

Now I know that while it is not a good thing, it will dry up and it is not a life-threatening or panic inducing situation. Get him dry and hopefully the dround will dry out, too and you won't have any more problems.

Thanks again, Stella.