The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Top Gear fox hunt

Discovered the Top Gear show last week. Someone suggested that the fox hunting show was hilarious. Found it on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA8Cu2CutS8

I LOVE Top Gear and this one is one of my favourites. Come on Fox Terios!
    I'd love to have a car decked out like that

Hysterical!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I watched that one again yesterday I love Top Gear hehe. So much so that I named my horse Veyron.

If you've just started watching Top Gear, you HAVE to watch the Botswana Special... "float, float!! OLIVERRRRRRRRR!!!!!"
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Top Gear is, bar none, our favorite show. Love it, love, love it! That said, cannot stand the US version.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    Top Gear is, bar none, our favorite show. Love it, love, love it! That said, cannot stand the US version.
    The US version is NOTHING close to the BBC version. BBC FTW! hehe

Anothershot, since you are a fan, you need to see "Clarkson Island" on youtube. Hilarious!
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Jolly good show, what?!?!?!?!

It was a good episode, if not exactly IAW fox hunting tradition.

These guys have the "human balace" just right. The U.S. counterpart is but a pale shadow of the original. Maybe they just need some time. I'm sure the orginals took at least a season or two to work out their relative roles.

I'm not at all a "gear/petrol head" but do enjoy the show.

They should come to the U.S. and do one on one ton pickups and LQ horsetrailers.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post

They should come to the U.S. and do one on one ton pickups and LQ horsetrailers.

G.
    That would be scary!

As far as pickups go, look for the episodes involving the Hilux.
    EPIC!!!
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Anothershot, since you are a fan, you need to see "Clarkson Island" on youtube. Hilarious!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I just watched it and ohhhh my gosh... Dying!

Agreed on both. The US show is a sad shadow of the original. Watched it once and that was enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    I'm not at all a "gear/petrol head" but do enjoy the show.
    G.
    I KNOW you will like this then

James May Edge of Space Part 1

James May Edge of Space Part 2

James May Edge of Space Part 3

I LOL'ed every time he whacked his head on the roof! Too funny
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    WOW. that was awesome! I LOVE anything Top Gear! Well anything but the American version, it's just terrible and not deserving of the name! Also The Stig is the hottest man alive that I have never seen

Quote Originally Posted by RougeEmpire View Post
    Also The Stig is the hottest man alive that I have never seen
    How do we know he is even a he? All I've ever seen is a white driving suit and helmet?!?

Old Stig (a/k/a Fired Stig, Traitor Stig, Backstabber Stig, etc.) was semi-outed last year and then went public. He was a former F1 test driver. Details are on Wiki. He's been replaced by New Stig, but they kept the white suit and helmet. In the visit to NASCAR country episode earlier this year they did drive-by shootings targets that looked like Old Stig.

The US version is a pale imitation, but maybe they'll figure out they're own personalities and make it better over time.

To bring this back to horses rather than horsepower, I too loved the foxhunt episode. Can't imagine James or Jeremy on a horse, but Richard did OK.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

"At least now we know his real name."
    "We do?"
    "Judas Iscariot."

Sacked Stig (Ben Collins) outed himself in his biography (and also revealed there are different Stigs used for some purposes even when it's not lampshaded with things like "it's the Stig's African cousin"). And it's in the contract that if he reveals his identity, he goes. Actually it was allegedly "is killed off", as happened to the Black Stig, Perry McCarthy. His fate...well:

A discussion of using nitrous for a TG stunt:

"You remember what happened to the Black Stig?"
    "He fell off an aircraft carrier!"
    "Because....."
    "...we used nitrous, all right...."

I have to say, if Richard's never really jumped before, he did a very good job not banging that horse in the mouth or back (and they did give him spurs, not something you do to someone who really hasn't ridden much...

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I have to say, if Richard's never really jumped before, he did a very good job not banging that horse in the mouth or back (and they did give him spurs, not something you do to someone who really hasn't ridden much...
    His wife and children ride and show, so he had done some riding with them before, and he apparently took lessons to prepare for that episode but hadn't done more than trot little cross rails I have all of his books and he puts in background on some of the episodes including that one.

I suspected he had a little more experience than hacking ponies down lanes. (Not least, you wouldn't want to let a complete n00b jump that fence when they've already had one life-threatening TBI. I bet the show's insurance on him is pricey...)

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    His wife and children ride and show, so he had done some riding with them before, and he apparently took lessons to prepare for that episode but hadn't done more than trot little cross rails I have all of his books and he puts in background on some of the episodes including that one.

WAIT a minute! Hamster writes books, too? I've only been watching for a few months, but somehow I missed that -- must tell the rest of the Top Gear fanatics I know! Can you get them on Amazon?