The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default surgery to remove bone chip? prognosis?

Hi COTHERs,
    I have just about decided to send my horse to surgery to have a bone chip from his fetlock removed. I have gotten 2nd and 3rd opinions from very respected vets, and everyone has said the same thing-- it is a new fracture, needs to come out, and my horse may or may not return to the level of performance he was at previously.

I would love to hear about your experience with bone chips& surgery. Where was it? How long was your horse laid up for? Is your horse sound now? Did he return to previous level of performance?

Thanks!!

If they are telling you it needs to come out, I would not delay. In most cases quick removal means less potential joint damage. Good luck!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

My mare Merry, had chips removed the year before I moved to Indiana 994; the next year she was able to jump in M & jumper classics with my business partner; after that season, she was retired and bred; and was sound enough to keep track of three colts and their moms I admit I was terrified before the surgery, but, loved , love, loved seeing her jump around courses and hearing others talk about my "wonderful mare"
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

My barnmates horse had knee chips removed as a 4 yr old and went on to do AA hunters/Level 3 jumpers. He has been showing up until this yr, and is still jumping. He's 17 now.

it is coming out, just need to get the surgery scheduled & the cash to pay for it. Luckily my horse is insured so it will be reimbursed, but being able to pay it up front is challenging.

Glad to hear about these other recoveries. I've heard horror stories, so positive ones are encouraging. Keep em coming! ( the good and the bad)