The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Default Collecting Gaits Festival - Get rid of the commentators!

Why don't they offer an option where you listen to the commentators if you want to, and if you don't, you can get rid of them?

I LOATH listening to them on every single friggin' test. Please. I get that some people want to learn, but I would prefer to watch it like a normal horse show and not have to listen to someone yammering through the entire test. It ruins it for me. I want to WATCH and listen to the horse noises and show noises--not some (yes I know they're qualified) judge yammering away endlessly on EVER SINGLE TEST.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I actually like it. Clearly an I judge knows more than I do.

It's easy enough to turn the sound off. I get that you want to hear normal show noises, and I love to be able to hear footfalls, but at least if you turn off the sound you don't have to listen to their elevator music as well...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I love the commentary! Both Svalling and Yukins gave good input, including scores and their impression of the movements. I get that maybe it'd be nice if you had the option to turn it off, but honestly, I think we're friggin lucky to have a free live feed online! You can just mute the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    I actually like it. Clearly an I judge knows more than I do.

It's easy enough to turn the sound off. I get that you want to hear normal show noises, and I love to be able to hear footfalls, but at least if you turn off the sound you don't have to listen to their elevator music as well...
    I know I can turn off the volume, but like I said, I like the show noises. I also get that we have a great judge talking, but I want to feel like I'm there. Can't do that with the volume off or the judge talking.

Just wish there was an option for turning the commentary on and off. I could use it with ALL sports, not just dressage! Hey, maybe that's the next thing in sports coverage. Allow commentary on/off like close captioning.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I do wish someone would tell the woman doing the commentary now to STOP COUGHING into the microphone - it's at times a bit gross.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

I love the commentary. If you were there you would be paying for it! Free education online, love it!
    Friesians Rule !!

I like the commentary also.

Oh, there's no doubt is VERY educational, I just kind of want some of the atmosphere of a show. I'd love the option to turn it on and off. Then you can have it both ways.

It's just so gorgeous out there and I adore the part of just watching an upper level ride w/o commentary. I'd love to see Peters ride w/o the commentary at the end. That would be nice.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

It's freeeeeeeeeee. Lucky us!
    Just hit the little button on the computer with a speaker and an 'x' through it.
    Sit outside your tackroom and listen to the snorts and stomping hooves, and
    Voila!
    I think the different commentators are interesting. Some are more informative as if they were judging, which is very interesting to me, one sounds like a glossary. All useful, pick your style (or little speaker-x button)

Default thankful for the coverage

I'm thrilled to be able to watch this live and feel lucky to have a seat right next to an I judge. Lois is a wonderful teacher and judge and I loved every minute of it.

Okay, I guess I SHOULD be happier with them. I mean, ANYONE is better than the all time annoying Melanie Smith! Why they think that because she was a show jumper she can comment on dressage or eventing, I'll never know. NBC is run by dorks. She counts strides and that's all she does. She also has no idea what it takes to ride x-country. Love it when they've had Jimmy Wofford do the Rolex comments.

But I do have to say that Jane Ayers is bugging me right now talking about foam on the lips.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I think we are lucky to have coverage! Velvet, you are becoming a cranky old lady
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    But I do have to say that Jane Ayers is bugging me right now talking about foam on the lips.
    I was less appreciative of her commentary... I doubt anyone who needed it was watching a stream online.

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    I was less appreciative of her commentary... I doubt anyone who needed it was watching a stream online.
    Maybe she's trying out for NBC and their Olympic coverage? I actually would like her better than Melanie.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Maybe she's trying out for NBC and their Olympic coverage? I actually would like her better than Melanie.
    If NBC were to have Olympic coverage of dressage, she'd be great for the job. That was the kind of level she was speaking at, and she wasn't super annoying like so many commentators - just not so useful for most people who would watch online from usefnetwork.com.

Jane's voice was pretty rough to listen to after awhile. I think the Judge from Sweden was about the best. Unfortunately when selecting people to commentate they fail to consider HOW they sound on a microphone. Like it or not, announcing is about having the right voice and knowledge on what they are covering.

I do agree about Melanie - I think we can all count the strides ourselves! :-)
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    Jane's voice was pretty rough to listen to after awhile. I think the Judge from Sweden was about the best. Unfortunately when selecting people to commentate they fail to consider HOW they sound on a microphone. Like it or not, announcing is about having the right voice and knowledge on what they are covering.

I do agree about Melanie - I think we can all count the strides ourselves! :-)
    Yeah, well, she sounded like she was losing her voice. That's not how Jane sounds all the time.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Here's my very important question on the coverage... Why are there figure skaters in the middle of the vignettes of equestrian events on the USEF Network promo?

Are you confusing the vaulters with figure skaters?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Are you confusing the vaulters with figure skaters?
    It's theoretically possible... but there's no horse in sight, and if so it's a VERY wide and VERY smooth horse...

Ok, looking at it, they must be vaulters - too much clothing for figure skaters. But really, can't we show that they're standing on a moving horse, maybe?