The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default saddle fitting woes

I have a 7 yp QH mare that I trail ride and I've been having problems with my saddle sliding while going up and down steep hills. The saddle seems to fit fine and the mare does not seem uncomfortable at all until the saddle slides down over her shoulder blades while she's trying to navigate downhill. I usually end up getting off and walking down the steeper hills. Sometimes the pad will slide out from under the saddle, especially if it's a felt pad. The sweat pattern is perfect. I used wire and made molds of her back and compared it to the saddle and it seems to be an excellent fit. The mare is a bit downhill, round and not in the best shape, and has low withers. I've just about decided that I need a breast collar and crupper. Any suggestions or insights into my problem?

Have you tried one of those tacky too pads by reinsman. They work with my slightly downhill mare.

I have a pad similar to that. It's the waffle/neoprene type pad. I think it's about the same thing as the tacky. Mine is even built up at the wither. It helps a lot but the saddle still slides a bit with it.

I guess I should mention that I am riding in an endurance saddle that is essentially a western saddle without the horn, but it has english rigging. It's a synergist so you can check their site if you want to see what it looks like. This one is a semi-custom so it hasn't been fit specifically to her back but the fit is excellent.

YOu can do a great deal with saddle fit, and pads. But honestly, some combinations are better off with a breastplate and /or crupper. I'm a professional saddle fitter .. and I have one pony who just has to wear a crupper - no matter how well we flock her saddle.

Thanks. I've been searching for a professional fitter but they are few and far between where I live. I found a crupper when I was cleaning out my old tack to sell at a friend's yard sale and cleaned it up to keep because I think I'm going to need it.

Ditto the crupper suggestion.

When I was hard trail riding, I rode with quite a few folks that used cruppers.

Cruppers absolutely will not allow the saddle to slide forward, but some horses take a little more getting used to them than others and they have to always be correctly adjusted

https://outfitterssupply.com/russon/...breechings.asp

I don't like a crupper but when I was riding my mule I used breeching and it worked wonderfully. Never any rubbing and didn't bother my mule at all.
    You might look into that, too.
    I made my own but I think you can buy them made from all sorts of materials.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.