The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Conformation Question - Knees

I looked at a very nice 3 year old Storm Cat baby today. Her conformation was very nice overall however, her right knee was slightly knock kneed or maybe you'd call it off set. The left was fine and straight. She walked, trotted, and cantered both directions just fine, except for a little unbalanced at the canter but she's 3 so no biggy. The owner also jumped her over a 2'6" vertical and talk about text book form - Wow! Neck reaching over and down, knees up and tight. Lovely. So, question is, is the one knock knee a deal breaker? Any experience you'd like to relate? I will probably be taking her on trial and see what's what so would like to know. I did some research and everything I found was inconclusive. Thanks!
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

In what way is the knee 'offset'? I had an OTTB with a knee that was slightly offset to the inside, who ended up with a ligament injury and a 'maybe' prognosis for returning to full work. I ended up retiring him at age 8.

Then again, I have a 14 year old that toes out on both fronts, is competent at 3'6"+ and is 100% sound.

I'd be more wary of the fact that she's doing 2'6" at such a young age, especially with less than stellar conformation.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I'd be more wary of the fact that she's doing 2'6" at such a young age, especially with less than stellar conformation.
    I was thinking the same thing. Do you have pics of her from the front?
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    I looked at a very nice 3 year old Storm Cat baby today. Her conformation was very nice overall however, her right knee was slightly knock kneed or maybe you'd call it off set. The left was fine and straight. She walked, trotted, and cantered both directions just fine, except for a little unbalanced at the canter but she's 3 so no biggy. The owner also jumped her over a 2'6" vertical and talk about text book form - Wow! Neck reaching over and down, knees up and tight. Lovely. So, question is, is the one knock knee a deal breaker? Any experience you'd like to relate? I will probably be taking her on trial and see what's what so would like to know. I did some research and everything I found was inconclusive. Thanks!
    I'm guessing--and could be totally wrong--that she's not actually a "Storm Cat baby". Three year old fillies by Storm Cat are worth a great deal of money as both race and broodmare prospects; it would be very unusual for someone to offer one as a hunter.

As to her conformation, without pictures (knock kneed and offset are two different issues) it's hard to have a valid opinion.

The right knee is slightly offset to the inside. The foot itself is straight. She traveled fine in both directions. I should clarify, the owner lunged her over the jump maybe 2 or 3 times total. I will have a pre-purchase done of course and if the vet thinks it's a deal breaker, then so be it.

Not hunter; eventer.

She's Stormcat's granddaughter by Delinator(sp?) according to her pedigree. I don't have any pics of her (keep forgetting the dang camera), but I think it's more an offset than a knock knee.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert