The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where to get a nice urn for dog's ashes?

I have googled pet urns and of course lots popped up. Does anyone have any places that they have used and have had good luck with? My Mom had to put her dog down and she just got her ashes back. She mentioned she wants a prettier box than what Zoe is currently in and I told her I would take care of it.

I hate to buy stuff from sites I don't know much about so I thought I would ask you guys. Thanks!!!

I thankfully have not had to purchase one recently, but my roommate just got one from By and By memorials. They do really lovely things and I like how theyre beautiful and sentimental without being too formal.

http://byandbymemorials.com/

By and By memorials are lovely. They're kind of expensive (maybe? not sure of what the typical range is... their prices start at $90) but they're quite nice. If you go to their facebook page (if you have an account) you can see more of their work, and the tributes on their page.
    their website byandbymemorials.com is currently really bare, but some pics and info there.

Good place to start

Edit- i took too long to post
    Last edited by bits619; Sep. 8, 2011 at 08:43 PM. Reason: double-recommendation
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

A friend just got one from this seller, said the shipping was super fast, and the urn is just spectacular
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Myinspirationsinwood

I got my dog's urn from 'From Earth to Art". She was great to deal with and did a magnificent job. I had saved some of my dog's hair to use for the urn.

www.fromearthtoart.org/

I just purchased an urn similar to these for my parents' kitty:

www.seruburns.com

www.seruburns.com/contact.htm

They are local potters from Peninsula, OH and sweet people. When I purchased mine they said that they can do other styles and glazes as well as what they have pictured, just ask.

They will also handle the ashes for you and seal the container permanently if you wish.

Whiskey came back in the standard urn for individual cremation which is rather nice, but they also have other urns you can purchase

http://www.foreverfaithfulpet.com/In...Cremation.html

I have had 4 Dobermans cremated, and the crematorium supplied the tins that they are now residing in. The fifth Doberman was cremated at a place closer, and his ashes were returned in a bag. I went to a second-hand store and found a tin that was attractive and close to the size of the other four tins. They are now "all" in my china cabinet.

I'm kind of a "tin-aholic", and I like older, decorative tins. Plus, they work, and you can't beat the price---less than a dollar!
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

The urn used for my mother's best friend (human not dog) was bought at TJ Maxx. A large red and gold extravagent thing. Kind of creepy but it was in her living room for years before she died. It was purpose bought. Undertaker let is slip that she almost didn't fit. I think anything with a lid will work.

Default Urns for pet

Amy who owns High Horse Pottery in Pa. makes urns w/the replica of the dog on the lid that are quite nice. Don't know the website off the top of my head but if you google High Horse Pottery you can most likely find it.
    Fox Ridge

Champ. Welsh Lands End The Colonels Fox
    Fox Ridge Welsh ponies on fb

My kitty's ashes came in a small gold can. In TJ Maxx I found a marble box with a lid in the bath dept. It's part of a set that matched a soapdish and toothbrush holder. It's really pretty and looks less like an urn.

My dog's ashes came in a nice dark cherry box. My late horse's forelock is in a small wooden box that I bought unfinished; I stained and varnished it and it looks like a tiny tack trunk.

Default Another option

I have put my cats and dogs ashes in ginger jars.
    They sell them all over and have beautiful colors and designs.
    TJ Maxx and Tuesday Mornings have great prices.
    I super glue the top to the jar and place them in the animal's favoritete place in my home.
    I label the bottom with the contents.
    I love that they are part of my decor as twisted as that might sound.

I was going to suggest Etsy too. There are lots of artists who offer amazing work and who are happy to do custom requests.

I never had to buy an urn. My mom was very clear and very direct she did not want her ashes on my bookshelf. As it was I apologized for leaving her ashes in the cardboard box for a year u til I got to the beach to spread them.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

I found this great website Online. They are who I used to buy my pet urn I would recommend them to anyone. Check them out here at http://www.acepetmemorials.com

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

www.urns.com

They have pet urns as well as any other kind you can imagine.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

http://www.custompeturns.com/ These are gorgeous works of art
    --o0o--

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    By and By memorials are lovely. They're kind of expensive (maybe? not sure of what the typical range is... their prices start at $90) but they're quite nice. If you go to their facebook page (if you have an account) you can see more of their work, and the tributes on their page.
    their website byandbymemorials.com is currently really bare, but some pics and info there.

Good place to start

Edit- i took too long to post
    REEEALLY like these guys...