The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stiffness in dog, Dasuquin didn't work.... Adequan?

I posted a while back about my 8yo Bluetick/Sharpei mix starting to slow down and seem a bit stiff and slow to get up.

A few people suggested Dasuquin and he's been on it ever since, the loading dose for about 6-8 weeks. I haven't noticed any difference.

What next? I've been thinking about a trip to the vet and getting him on Adequan. Anything else I should try first?
    Visit us: www.integritysporthorses.com
    High quality retirement boarding: www.flattireranchtx.com

Adequan works great for many dogs. It's worth a try. Do the loading dose for a month. If it works, do the loading dose yearly, or twice a yr if needed.

polyglycan is also an option albeit an off-label usage. Dosage is 1 cc/20 pounds given IM

Dasuquin only has glucosamine and chondriotin; you might want to try an oral supplement that has more stuff in it. Hylasport canine has the four major joint support compounds (glucosamine, chondriotin, MSM, HA) in appropriate dog-dosages; and Smartpak has a joint formula for senior canines that has all four compounds plus some other ingredients that may also help with pain, inflammation, and stiffness.

A good friend of ours, Dr. Allday has chreated Lubrisyn - http://lubrisyn.com/your-pets/

From the website :
    "Your canine companion has over 200 joints in his body. For the competitive edge in obedience and agility, your dog’s joints must be supple and lubricated. LubriSyn CA is a liquid oral joint supplement made of hyaluronan (HA), a naturally occurring part of normal joint fluid. Unlike glucosamine and chondroitin, HA is easily absorbed because it is found naturally in your dog’s body! "

They have had wonderful success with it and it's also available for Horses, as well.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Sorry, I missed your other post but has your vet diagnosed pain anywhere? Generally with dogs its less overall stiffness, but one area (elbows, stifles, hips, back). Often bilateral, but not usually "everything". Maybe if it was narrowed down to the particular area you could find a best suitable solution?

We have quite a few dogs come in with injuries/mineralization to their supraspinataus (sp), biceps tendon etc. in the shoulder region and we have been getting good results with ACP injections. Elbows we CT and often find fragments which are scoped out. Degenerative changes to joints, and arthritis often respond well to NSAIDs.