The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1. #1
    shootmeAlter Guest

    Default I hate this.

    Warning: Long and whiny

    I have my horse at a private barn. This spring, a friend moved in with their horse. Boarding with the friend, I have realized that this person is selfish and inconsiderate. The barn owners think this person is great. This is probably because this person works very little and is able to do a lot of work around the barn. I work full time and have a long drive. This makes it difficult or impossible to help out. I feel like a fifth class citizen. It seems as though the owners will do anything to make the other person happy.

    There have been a lot of small issues that bothered me about the 'friend.' Individually, none of them are a big deal. They keep adding up and I am getting very frustrated. Now there is one big issue that has put me over the edge.

    My horse became lame recently. The vet came out and told me what he believed was the problem and gave me simple instructions to fix it. My horse was unable to be turned out in her normal pasture because the footing was contributing to the lameness. She was turned out with the friend's horse for a few days and the lameness improved a lot. A few days ago, she was "mean" to the other horse (bit and chased it--my horse does not randomly go after other horses. If she was being mean, the other horse deserved it.). Friend did not like it and friend and the barn owners put my horse back in the pasture with the footing that made her lame. I had explained to them what was going on shortly after the vet came out and told them that she could not be in that pasture. They put her in it anyway.

    There is no other place for my horse to go, so she is now on stall rest. We have a very important event coming up. It is the only time we can go to it, ever. If she is lame, we can not go to the event. My horse is not happy that she is in a stall. I asked the barn owners if my horse and my friend's horse could trade pastures. My friend does not want to because it would be a little inconvenient to ride. The barn owners are not willing to force a temporary change.

    This has me extremely upset. My "friend" will not put the horse in a different pasture for a short time to keep my horse sane and sound. I do not think I am being unreasonable. I would be happy to move my horse if the situation was reversed.

    I no longer think of this person as a friend. Thinking about this person makes me very sad and very angry. I do not think I can talk to the "friend" because I would probably start yelling at her. I hate going to the barn. The unfairness and selfishness of the situation bothers me so much. My horse is miserable and I am miserable. I would love to leave, but I cannot afford it. I have wanted a horse my entire life. Now that I have one, I wish I didn't so I could leave this situation. My alter name is not an exaggeration.

    I know there is nothing that can be done about this. I only needed to complain about it.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar. 17, 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    114

    Default

    First, I am very sorry that you are in this situation. It happens this way alot at barns but the friend won't stay on top forever. People like this always show their true colors. Now, there is always somewhere you can go. Believe me, if the will is there it can be done. You accepting this situation is not good, it is not alright that the barn owner is not willing to help you out for the safety of your horse. Not cool man. This woman believe it or not has shown the barn owner what she is made of and she doesn't have long with these people. No event is that important that you allow you and your horse to be treated like this. Ditch the acceptance of this situation, stay calm, and look for alternatives. Remember, if you paint yourself in a corner you will remain there, always allow yourself a way out. Stay positive but not passive. Good luck and when I say that I know what you are going through, I have been there a number of times and had to put goals on hold.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov. 6, 2009
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Look, I know it is tough, but ultimately it isn't your property and it isn't your prerogative to control which horses go in which pastures. Sure, it would be nice if your friend would trade pastures temporarily, but it sounds like it is out of your control. I don't know how many horses are on this property or exactly what the situation is, but the BO or BM is responsible for watching out for the interests of ALL the horses, not just yours. I run a barn and I've had people try to cherry pick paddocks or turnout buddies for various reasons, but if I allowed that it wouldn't be fair for other people. Maybe your friend is worried that if she turns her horse out in the other field her horse will develop issues, too?

    If this barn is not meeting your horse's needs, then you need to look at moving to another barn that has turnout that is suitable for your horse.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug. 10, 2011
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Um... A little worried about the post above mine... Someone didn't read all the way through.....



    Anyways.... Ok, I know what you mean, I live in an area with VERY few options and I have to pick one extreme over the other. Not only is this 'friend' inconsiderate, your BM or BO is too!!!! I would have a sit down with them and ask a loaded question and force them into a corner. "Why does my horse's soundness and happiness come second to Friend's wishes? Does she pay any more or is there a reason that my horse is in pain and misery just so Friend won't be put out?" I can't believe a BO could be so , well •*•*•*•*•


    Maybe check around your area and see if any land owners or better, farmers, would let you keep your horse with them, be creative! I wish you the best getting away from Friend and BO.
    "The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die!"
    ----> Pre



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb. 20, 2010
    Location
    All 'round Canadia
    Posts
    5,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeeHoney View Post
    Maybe your friend is worried that if she turns her horse out in the other field her horse will develop issues, too?
    That was my thought too. If I was told the footing in x pasture is contributing to lameness, so could I please move my horse to x pasture, I wouldn't be jumping on that.

    Maybe OP's horse has some underlying issue that specifically makes a difference to that horse and wouldn't to others, but with just what's in the post I can understand the ex-friend's reluctance to move her horse into the "lame" pasture.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb. 17, 2009
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Is it just you and the "friend" boarding at this barn? That's what I got out of your post. There is only two turn out places for your horse? Her horse? Are there any in and out stall available sp your horse can mosey around?

    I would write the friend off and focus on your horses recovery. Maybe stall rest is what he/she needs right now? Do some hand walking etc.


    I would not get all excited for this event you talk about because we all know with horses that you never know what your going to get day to day with them, their soundness etc.

    I Wish your horse recovery. This seems like something your just going to have to deal with if you cannot leave the place.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb. 11, 2010
    Location
    S. Calif.
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shootmeAlter View Post
    The barn owners think this person is great. This is probably because this person works very little and is able to do a lot of work around the barn. It seems as though the owners will do anything to make the other person happy.
    It sounds reasonable that the barn owners would be happy to have her around. Would you expect them not to enjoy being around a boarder that helps out at the barn?

    A few days ago, she was "mean" to the other horse (bit and chased it--my horse does not randomly go after other horses.
    It appears that your horse did not behave appropriately when turned out with the other horse.

    If she was being mean, the other horse deserved it.).
    You are kidding right?

    Friend did not like it and friend and the barn owners put my horse back in the pasture
    If I was nice enough to allow you to turn your horse out with mine and it was a problem, your horse would go back to his own pasture.

    There is no other place for my horse to go, so she is now on stall rest.
    Then I would hand walk her frequently.

    We have a very important event coming up. It is the only time we can go to it, ever.
    It is really unfortunate that your horse is lame and you may miss the event, but that is a reality. I'd be disappointed, which I am sure you are.

    I asked the barn owners if my horse and my friend's horse could trade pastures. My friend does not want to because it would be a little inconvenient to ride. The barn owners are not willing to force a temporary change.
    We board and would not trade our turn out for a less desirable one, nor would I expect our BO to forcefully make us swap with another boarder.

    My "friend" will not put the horse in a different pasture for a short time to keep my horse sane and sound.
    She allowed you to put your horse out with hers and it didn't work. You can not blame her for not wanting to put her horse in what sounds like an undesirable location (poor footing, further to walk, etc,),

    I no longer think of this person as a friend. Thinking about this person makes me very sad and very angry. I do not think I can talk to the "friend" because I would probably start yelling at her. I hate going to the barn.
    You would start yelling at her because she won't give up her pasture for your horse?

    The unfairness and selfishness of the situation bothers me so much.
    There is nothing unfair or selfish about this situation. You want to improve your horse's situation by putting the other boarder in your pasture. She doesn't want to swap, which is her right.

    I would love to leave, but I cannot afford it.
    It sounds like the BO is giving you a rate that you can not match elsewhere. I'd be grateful.

    I have wanted a horse my entire life. Now that I have one, I wish I didn't so I could leave this situation.
    Horse ownership can be difficult, they get sick, go lame, miss events, etc.

    Dealing with these events is a part of horse ownership.

    If you are not enjoying your horse and all it entails, it might be time to move on.

    Good luck!
    Last edited by Macimage; Sep. 8, 2011 at 01:19 PM.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar. 1, 2005
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    5,219

    Default

    The problem isn't with the friend. It's with the BO who (based on what you say) will prevent a horse from healing from his lameness because it's slightly inconvenient to change paddocks around. Your BO has the wrong priorities. You need to change barns.

    If you can't/won't change barns, then it's up to you to make the best of what you are given. Can you keep horse in more and then handwalk her? Can you get permission to give her limited turnout in a round-pen or other smaller pen with good footing?

    I don't think it's the other boarder's job to give up the field that works better for them to make another boarder happy. What's in it for her? Can you approach her nicely and see if you can sweet talk her or offer her something if she'll voluntarily give up her paddock until the show? You keep calling her a friend, but friendship has to go both ways.

    The bigger picture is that horses do sometimes go lame. Sometimes even with the best care, best footing, and best everything they go lame and cause you to miss a show. You cannot put everyone on this one single show. There will be other shows - I promise!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb. 1, 2001
    Location
    Finally...back in civilization, more or less
    Posts
    11,514

    Default

    Your friend was nice enough to try allowing your horse to share the more desirable pasture. In the category of "No good deed goes unpunished," she ended up with her horse injured by yours as a result - yours chased and bit hers. (And seriously, that is OK with you because the other horse "must have deserved it?" Are you kidding? Would you allow your horse to go out with a horse that beat her up?)

    And now she is a jerk because she won't put hers in the pasture that has made your horse lame?

    Sorry, I know it must be very tough to deal with a lame horse and the prospect of missing your event, but I don't think you are being reasonable, and I don't think your friend is behaving badly at all.

    Sounds to me like you need to find a new boarding situation. Hope your horse heals up soon.
    **********
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul. 25, 2003
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    8,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shootmeAlter View Post
    My horse became lame recently. The vet came out and told me what he believed was the problem and gave me simple instructions to fix it.
    Is changing the turnout situation the only thing that the vet recommended? If so, you need to talk to the BO about fixing the turnout. Or, using electric fencing to either make a temporary turnout or to divide the existing turnout so that it's suitable.

    She was turned out with the friend's horse for a few days and the lameness improved a lot. A few days ago, she was "mean" to the other horse (bit and chased it--my horse does not randomly go after other horses. If she was being mean, the other horse deserved it.). Friend did not like it and friend and the barn owners put my horse back in the pasture with the footing that made her lame.
    I wouldn't like it either if your horse bit and chased my horse. Just because your horse is lame, mine doesn't need to be injured.

    There is no other place for my horse to go, so she is now on stall rest.
    Is the stall rest hindering or helping her recovery? Have you spoken to the vet about it? If she need limited turnout, maybe use electric fencing as described above.

    We have a very important event coming up. It is the only time we can go to it, ever. If she is lame, we can not go to the event.
    If your horse is lame you shouldn't considering going to an event. Horses are, unfortunately, like that. They get injured at the worst times. It's not clear from your post whether you are able to ride your horse at this time. If you aren't riding, maybe going to the event is unrealistic.

    My horse is not happy that she is in a stall.
    If stall rest is helping your horse, then I would ask your vet about sedation that would make the experience easier for her. If your horse needs to move around to heal, then you need to find a different way of addressing it -- temporary fencing or hand walking.

    I asked the barn owners if my horse and my friend's horse could trade pastures. My friend does not want to because it would be a little inconvenient to ride. The barn owners are not willing to force a temporary change.
    I agree with others. Why would your friend want to move to a turnout situation that caused your horse to become lame? But think further. Why would the BO want to irritate the boarder who helps all the time by forcing her to move her horse?

    I do not think I am being unreasonable. I would be happy to move my horse if the situation was reversed.
    Actually, I think you are being unreasonable. Think long and hard about this. Would you put your horse at risk of injury or lameness to help out your friend? She's already tried to help you out and your horse attacked her horse.

    I hate going to the barn. The unfairness and selfishness of the situation bothers me so much. My horse is miserable and I am miserable. I would love to leave, but I cannot afford it.
    I think you need to take a deep breath and think about how YOU can improve the situation. Handwalking your horse if it can't be ridden . . . suggesting some temporary turnout that doesn't disrupt the other horse . . . or finding a place with more options for turnout.


    I know that mostly you probably need to vent. It is very frustrating when your horse is lame and it's not within your ability to fix it. But I think you need to explore options outside the box and come up with a solution that works for everyone.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.



  11. #11
    shootmeAlter Guest

    Default

    The reason my horse cannot go in her normal turnout area is temporary. When she is better, she will be able to go back in it. Our horses have been out together many many times. Friend's horse has been in my horse's turnout many many times. Friend's horse has been "mean" to mine. I say oh well, my horse should mind her manners. Friend's horse has a history of beating up other horses. These two horses generally get along. Sometimes they have little problems, but never anything to worry about. As I said, my horse never goes after other horses for no reason. She almost never goes after other horses for a good reason. If she bit the other horse, the other horse had asked for it. My horse is usually bottom of the pecking order. Friend's horse was NOT injured.

    When I asked the barn owner about changing pastures, the only reason I was given for refusal was that friend likes to ride in the pasture. It would be slightly inconvenient to ride for the week that the horses were switched.

    My horse is looking sound but is not happy with her situation. She just has to deal with it.

    I have been at this barn for several years. I asked the owners if my friend could move in temporarily. Friend has now taken over and I feel that I am being pushed out. If I had known that this would happen, I never would have helped my friend get in. I also would not have been a doormat to begin with, letting friend use my belongings (and not return them) and inviting friend to make themself welcome.

    I am not pretending that I am perfect. I am sure I have done things wrong and that annoyed my friend, but I would never sacrifice another horse's wellbeing for my own convenience. (To clarify: putting friend's horse in my horse's usual turnout would NOT harm friend's horse. This is an isolated and specific issue with my horse which will be resolved within a few weeks.)



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr. 22, 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    597

    Default

    I'm going to have to side with the previous 4 people here in that it really doesn't sound like you've been wronged. Reading this, I don't see anyone being selfish or unfair.

    Horses go lame. Small private barns don't have a ton of pastures and stall to accomodate a multitude of needs and desires because, well, they're small. Everyone wants the best for their own horse and gets upset when that conflicts with what someone else wants for their horse. It happens.

    Most of the small BOs I've known aren't much into the business of resolving personal conflicts between boarders. Part of the small-barn mentality that everyone helps out, which is what can make these barns so great, is also an understanding that you might have to solve some problems on your own. And sometimes a barn just doesn't have everything that you and your horse need, and then it's time to find one that does.

    It sounds like the BO made an effort to accomdate your horse's needs. They tried putting the two horses out together, and that didn't work, so they've offered a stall as the next best thing. If I were them, I'd step out at that point too. And if I were a boarder and my BO asked to move my horse to a turnout with footing that led to another horse's lameness, so that other horse could be sound for an event? Oh heck no! Why should my horse risk lameness so someone else can go to their favorite event?

    And as far as being unable to talk to the ex-friend because you'll just end up yelling at her... well, that might be a big part of the problem. If you've never been able to discuss this with her, she might have no idea what your thoughts are or how unhappy your horse is in a stall. A simple, "Hey, can we swap places for a week so my horse can stay sound for our event? We can switch back after it's over and I'm happy to put it in writing" might go a long way. If you've tried that already, then it's time to accept that the situation isn't ideal and get creative.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun. 27, 2010
    Location
    SE VA
    Posts
    1,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shootmeAlter View Post

    My horse was unable to be turned out in her normal pasture because the footing was contributing to the lameness.

    How so and who came to that conclusion other than you?



    A few days ago, she was "mean" to the other horse (bit and chased it--my horse does not randomly go after other horses. If she was being mean, the other horse deserved it.)

    Horses do that. Get over it..

    barn owners put my horse back in the pasture with the footing that made her lame. I had explained to them what was going on shortly after the vet came out and told them that she could not be in that pasture. They put her in it anyway.

    Did you tell the BO the vet said she could not be out there and more importantly, WHY?

    There is no other place for my horse to go, so she is now on stall rest.

    Sounds like the only other option.


    We have a very important event coming up. It is the only time we can go to it, ever. If she is lame, we can not go to the event.

    Put on your big girl panties and suck it up. It happens. I am sorry it is happening to you right now, but it happens nonetheless.



    My horse is not happy that she is in a stall. I asked the barn owners if my horse and my friend's horse could trade pastures. My friend does not want to because it would be a little inconvenient to ride. The barn owners are not willing to force a temporary change.

    Then there must be a good reason.

    This has me extremely upset. My "friend" will not put the horse in a different pasture for a short time to keep my horse sane and sound. I do not think I am being unreasonable. I would be happy to move my horse if the situation was reversed.

    I no longer think of this person as a friend. Thinking about this person makes me very sad and very angry. I do not think I can talk to the "friend" because I would probably start yelling at her. I hate going to the barn. The unfairness and selfishness of the situation bothers me so much. My horse is miserable and I am miserable. I would love to leave, but I cannot afford it. I have wanted a horse my entire life. Now that I have one, I wish I didn't so I could leave this situation. My alter name is not an exaggeration.

    This is the only barn you can afford anywhere in and around your area? Then it sounds like you can't really afford your horse. If the pasture is somehow causing your horse to go lame, and I can't imagine it is, you are still better off to move to a more expensive barn and not have vet bills.


    I know there is nothing that can be done about this. I only needed to complain about it.
    Sorry to be so blunt but it sounds like you just want to complain and I am not fond of complainers.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,612

    Default

    I think the problem is that the facility does not meet your needs. At least not right now.

    Your friend is not obligated to make changes (temporary or otherwise) to suit your needs, particularly if those changes could have a potential negative impact on her or her horse.

    Problem: The footing in your horse's paddock is causing or contributing to lameness. No other more appropriate paddock is available right now.

    Solution 1: Find a place that does have a paddock available with appropriate footing.

    Solution 2: Suck it up and keep your horse inside until the problem preventing your horse from using its usual paddock has resolved.

    Solution 3: Work with the barn owner to come up with some other solution. If this fails, see Solutions 1 and 2.

    The only thing I think I would be angry about is that your horse was put back into the lameness-causing paddock when it was determined that the group turnout situation was not working. I would have wanted to be consulted prior to the move so that I could tell the barn owner to put the horse in a stall instead. Or if I could not be contacted, I would have wanted the horse in a stall so as to avoid further injury in the lameness-causing paddock. But that's kind of a judgment call, and a lot of barn owners would have done exactly what yours did.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb. 20, 2010
    Location
    All 'round Canadia
    Posts
    5,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shootmeAlter View Post
    I have been at this barn for several years. I asked the owners if my friend could move in temporarily. Friend has now taken over and I feel that I am being pushed out. If I had known that this would happen, I never would have helped my friend get in. I also would not have been a doormat to begin with, letting friend use my belongings (and not return them) and inviting friend to make themself welcome.
    It sounds like that is the main underlying issue, and really, that's on you. Reading this makes it seem like you'd have preferred to play a BM-type role to "friend", arranging to invite her in, telling her to make herself welcome. Like a link between her and the BO.

    But really that's not your place. You arranged an invite; all she owed you at that time was a "thank you" for getting her the spot, and nothing else. If she made herself welcome, well, she's a boarder, and one who appears to be contributing substantially to the barn. She doesn't and shouldn't need you to tell her to make herself welcome, she can deal with the BO on her own, she shouldn't have to defer to you just because you were there longer. If she's the BO's favorite now, well, that's because she contributes more. It's not "pushing you out", it's being valued for what you give.

    The sort of resentment that comes across from your posts would make me, as your ex-friend, less likely to want to help out. If you don't want to go to the barn because you're afraid you might explode on her I'm guessing you haven't been hiding your feelings all along, and she's not inclined to make your life easier now.
    It would likely benefit both of you to have a calm, friendly conversation and see if you can resolve this. Put if you approach her with a huge chip on your shoulder because you've been displaced by her in the BO's estimation, well...hand-walk your horse then.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2006
    Location
    An American Living In Ireland
    Posts
    5,658

    Default

    Man you people are touchy. OP said this would be a whinny post. We all whine.

    And I've always found that people who have horses that do the beating up always say, that's horses. But as soon as their snookums gets his/her fair dues, its the other horse being a brat.

    So it's ok for 2 people to be paying the exact same board and only for one to inconvinienced? Poor other boader who sounds like a right wagon. it would be hard for her to ride around OP's horse. Well if I were a friend, a real friend, who might have some sympathy towards my friend and her lame horse, I would try and work something out. Say like I may ask friend if it would be ok if I could bring her horse in when I wanted to ride or if BO could bring her horse in and out while I get my ride out of the way.

    Everyone on here hates complainers, but yet feel just in never seeing the point of view of frustration. Things could actually be worked out to keep both horses and owners happy with very little fuss. It's not a 50 horse boarding barn for cripes sake. I rent a house and 6 out of 10 stables here. The landlord has odd boarders in now and again. One permanent boarder is a real piece of work. It's fricking tiring. But you know what, my horses are happy and I like to use the COTH mantra of bless your heart time and again. But at the end of the day I go out of my way to try and keep things smooth. Horse can't be anywhere near mares, horse has separation anxiety, horse basically has moron owner issues not his fault. But in all honesty to keep the peace, I try and work with things other than get on my high horse and act like I'm some superior jack ass.

    OP I understand your frustration. Also understand, like others don't, how a lot of this is down to the hurt you feel of being betrayed by someone you thought was a friend. Just because other people don't feel you should feel that way shouldn't matter. I think that is more the root of the problem. But look it, go to BO and express your frustration. If he/she is unwilling to help then look for another place to keep you and your horse happy. Bear in mind, nothing out there is perfect but there are suitable places.

    All the best,
    Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

    "I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2005
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    12,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    So it's ok for 2 people to be paying the exact same board and only for one to inconvinienced?
    Um, yes, in the grand scheme of situations like this, very much yes.

    One person has a lame horse. Why does the rest of the barn have to be inconvenienced because one person has a lame horse? What does paying the same board have to do with it?
    If someone else at your boarding barn suddenly decides the stall/paddock/pasture your horse lives in works better for their horse is it right that they are simply allowed to inconvenience you?



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2006
    Location
    An American Living In Ireland
    Posts
    5,658

    Default

    Well if the ground the horse is in that made it lame, I would suspect as a group we would talk it out and make decisions, as we have done here in the past. Although it didn't involve lameness it involved the above horse and his stupdity around mares. He had to be moved for work to be done on his field next to my horses and mares. BO was in a quandry knowing what this horse is like. Basically it does run around this one horse. I sorted things out with mine and happy harmony for 2 weeks. I could have demanded the BO sort things because why should I have to be going to all the trouble but hey, I didn't feel the need to have something happen to mine and then have to listen to owner of the other horse. My mares live happily with other geldings across the fence line with no issues ever. Her horse is a pig of a horse and goes mental around mares. He's had all the tests, he's not a rig, he's just a PITA. To be honest if he got in with my mares they would sort him out in a hurry. But just on the off chance one of mine would get hurt, I chose to do what needed to be done. I've come to realise everything around here is someone else's fault or the other horse's faults but I'm too old to play stupid little silly games. And all horses were safe and happy which makes the barn happy and makes barn owner happy. How difficult is it to make some minor little efforts for things to be smooth?

    See the only inconvienence I'm getting from this is that the other boarder wants to ride in said field which would be nice for OP's horse. Does she ride all day, is she that much of a prat that she can't actually put herself in this person's shoes? Because I get the feeling if the roles were reversed and the bitfchy friend's horse was lame all would be done to insure his happiness and well being. It's already been stated that her horse does the majority of the bullying which is totally ok. But as soon as her horse gets a bite from another horse saying leave me alone it's a national incident. Oh poor snookums. See this is why it's nice when you have more than one horse because when these things happen within your herd, you simply go well you won't do that again dufus. And or you split horses up. But as soon as two different owners are involved it's more of a "your horse is a meany and so now I don't like you either". It's like high school these boarding threads.

    OP after thinking about it, if I were you I'd be looking for a boarding situation in which all horses are entitled to a bit of good turnout ground. My motto, especially around here is, if it may end of costing me money in vet bills then it needs to be sorted. Horses are good enough at hurting themselves without unsafe places for turnout.

    Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

    "I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar. 6, 2002
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shootmeAlter View Post
    Friend did not like it and friend and the barn owners put my horse back in the pasture with the footing that made her lame. I had explained to them what was going on shortly after the vet came out and told them that she could not be in that pasture. They put her in it anyway.
    This would have been a dealbreaker (both on the friend and the BO) for me. If I left explicit instructions with my BO that my horse was NOT allowed something per the vet, and they did it anyway? Sorry, but knowingly doing something that will exacerbate an injury is grounds for immediate dismissal.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec. 28, 2003
    Location
    Canada where all hell has broke free
    Posts
    2,504

    Default

    ShootMe Alter, Would boots help with the footing problem in the turn out that your horse goes into. You might be able to get away with just one but if you picked up two you will always have them if you need them.

    I think finding a way to make use of the field is going to be the only way your horse gets the turn out he/she needs.

    Is friends horse in at night? If so could your horse have night time turn out?

    Try and think outside the box to come up with away for your horse to get some turn out and try and stop worring about what your firend is doing start thinking of her as the BO's daugter so you don't feel like she is liked more then you.

    Boarding can really S*** some times.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

    Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed



Similar Threads

  1. I Hate Hate Hate Bullsnaps!
    By altjaeger in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: Nov. 11, 2012, 09:50 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: Nov. 1, 2012, 09:34 AM
  3. Replies: 42
    Last Post: Oct. 31, 2012, 02:39 PM
  4. I just hate...
    By Lady Counselor in forum Off Course
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: Jul. 26, 2010, 12:12 PM
  5. Don't you Hate it when,
    By rocksolid in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Oct. 14, 2009, 02:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness