The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Confession

Hi, my name is TarheelJD, and I am addicted to field boots.

Seriously, I keep "upgrading," just like a junkie needs a bigger fix to get the same high!!! It is insane!

Anyway - I just bought a new pair of Sergio Grasso's, and they are really nice. I was planning on using them for shows only, but I don't know if I have that sort of self control. For those of you who have SG's, how well do you think they would hold up if I wore them all the time -- I ride 3 times a week.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

If you wear around a size 9, I'll take some of your old ones off your hands!

Hello my name is OveroHunter and I am addicted to bits and bridles... Is it necessary to have 10 headstalls with bits and reins for only 2 horses, why hellseffinyes it is
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

TarheelJD you are a boot junkie.
    there must be a Bootjunkies Anonymous meeting near you
    we suggest a tack sale
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

I think I'm a horse treat junkie. I have way more cookies than my horse ever will or should eat!

I buy pads, my girlfriends thinks I am a nut. I don't even use the really nice ones. I have about 13-15.

I also bought a pair of Ariat Crowne Pro field boots no zipper when Ariat decided to make all boots with zippers. I've never worn them since my current boots still work.

Yes, I hoard and it feels good.

TarheelJD is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

So glad I am not the only addict!!!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

agree that if you're a size 9, regular-ish calf, send some of those old boots my way! Oh, and totally jealous you got new SG's. I've been coveting the pair that occassionally pops up on the right hand ad sidebar here.

I have a saddle pad problem

I don't even know how many I have.

Junkie Rationalization: I work 3-6 horses per day and have a schoolie who teaches some lessons.

Confession: I just bought another one today. I was ordering something else, and I threw one in the cart... you know, since I'm paying for shipping anyways

P.S. I'm a size 9.5
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Oh, and totally jealous you got new SG's. I've been coveting the pair that occassionally pops up on the right hand ad sidebar here.
    I couldn't resist - a tack store in AZ had a pair in my size, brand new in the box, listed on eBay for $350 (so, a little more that 1/3 of the retail cost @ SmartPak and Dover, and less than my Crowne Pros cost!). The lady that owns the store said they are liquidating some excess inventory. They have some nice GPA helmets on eBay too - but I am not addicted to helmets, so I am safe there.

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    I couldn't resist - a tack store in AZ had a pair in my size, brand new in the box, listed on eBay for $350 (so, a little more that 1/3 of the retail cost @ SmartPak and Dover, and less than my Crowne Pros cost!). The lady that owns the store said they are liquidating some excess inventory. They have some nice GPA helmets on eBay too - but I am not addicted to helmets, so I am safe there.

Where did you say this was?....I've got several helmets and wouldn't mind one more.......
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    Where did you say this was?....I've got several helmets and wouldn't mind one more.......
    eBay -- the horse paraphanalia hoarder's best friend!

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    eBay -- the horse paraphanalia hoarder's best friend!

I got myself in so much trouble just bidding away on Ebay. I don't even go on there anymore because if I do, I will end up spending wayyyyy too much.
    www.southcross.com

I feel compelled to join you guys.....

I am a junkie of the following persuasionS....

Field boots
    Half Chaps
    Horse Boots
    Saddle Pads
    Bridles
    Hunt Coats (oh my new Animo coat is to DIE for....I hope that comment enables at least one person to try one on!)
    Breeches (ditto on my new pairs of Animo breeches)
    Show Shirts
    HORSES (I'm down to 5 at the moment, so I'm feeling better about that number)
    Saddles

And I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of.

I need help.

Oooorrrrrr......I just need a bigger barn

dang Tarheel, thats a screaming deal! I would have been hard pressed to pass that one up too.

Also, wanted to add that even though people might be tack/horse stuff junkies, how many of us here splurge on that extra Edgewood bridle yet are still wearing two year old Target t-shirts because we'd rather spend the money on horse stuff? Its all about compromise and priorities, right?

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Also, wanted to add that even though people might be tack/horse stuff junkies, how many of us here splurge on that extra Edgewood bridle yet are still wearing two year old Target t-shirts because we'd rather spend the money on horse stuff? Its all about compromise and priorities, right?
    About a year after I started riding again, I received a note in the mail from my personal shopper at Saks saying they missed me and hoped to see me again soon! My spending priorities have definitely changed - especially since buying my horse. Instead of buying Gucci shoes with fake horse bits on them to wear to the office, I am buying Herm Sprenger bits for Tajar.

What? 10 bridles (if not more) for 2 horses is an addiction?? The h*ll you say. I say, the more bits, especiallly snaffles, the better.

Hubby has a thing for Olathe boots. Plenty of those around the house.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Hubby has a thing for Olathe boots. Plenty of those around the house.
    SO has more boots than a model has high heels
    www.southcross.com