The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vent: Buyer's market

Long story short I am looking for a fun project to play around with. HOWEVER, I have exhausted all of the search sites (Equine.com, Dreamhorse.com, Virginiaequestrian.com, canterusa.org) and now I don't know where to look. I am not looking for anything fancy, [edit] type of horse. So I guess the reason for this posting is a vent of sorts, I thought this was a buyers market? Why can't I find anything? I am feeling discouraged.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Sep. 8, 2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: removed specifics of horse wanted

Really? There are a lot on CANTER that are enticing to me right now. What about this guy?

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ainer-listings

That Tiznow is gorgeous, watch his 2 year old sale video! Loffly! Pics don't do him justice on canter. They could just as easily be leading him around WEF! http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ainer-listings

wow... he is a cutie!

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    That Tiznow is gorgeous, watch his 2 year old sale video! Loffly! Pics don't do him justice on canter. They could just as easily be leading him around WEF! http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ainer-listings
    Agreed!! He is gorgeous!!!

Talk to Jenarby. You can PM her. If you find something you like, incidentally I will have a trailer coming from her place (Ohio) thru VA to NC very soon. So let me know if you happen to need help arranging shipping . More horses fly cheaper
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Talk to Jenarby. You can PM her. If you find something you like, incidentally I will have a trailer coming from her place (Ohio) thru VA to NC very soon. So let me know if you happen to need help arranging shipping . More horses fly cheaper
    There is someone on the breeding forum looking for transport for a weanling from VA to NC May want to touch bases with them.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

i don't know where you are but there are plenty of really nice horses down here as well. i know of several in your price range, started and going off the track tb's.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Quote Originally Posted by alliekat View Post
    There is someone on the breeding forum looking for transport for a weanling from VA to NC May want to touch bases with them.
    LOL. Just went to get the link and realized it was you. I am going to have my coffee now
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Ornament View Post
    Really? There are a lot on CANTER that are enticing to me right now. What about this guy?

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ainer-listings
    He was just marked as sold. Bummer!

www.leightonfarm.com has several under 6k

You can't go by the price listed in those classifed ad sites much of the time. So many sellers are willing to negotiate. I know of plenty $20,000 + (asking price) horses that have sold for $10,000 and well under.

Check them out, make and offer and see what happens. At best you may find a great deal and at worst seller just says no.

It is still a buyers market.

I am currently buying and selling. However, I am buying something specific. I have seen a lot on paper that would fit what I'm looking for but most did not pan out as promised. As far as selling, my BigEq add had 233 views in its first week and not one call. Talk about discouraging! I will probably not get what I paid for her in March - so I am trying to do a free lease as well hoping that someone else will feed her for a year and maybe the market will turn around. The offset is that I will save money on my purchase to make up for the lost money on the sale.

If it were a seller's market all the good ones are gone fast and there are no deals to be had... be patient.
    If I put as much effort into my relationship as I do charging my phone, I'd probably be much better off.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Absolutely! and really well behaved, I loved his expression when they were bidding on him

I would definitely explore the TB market for what you want. If Canter doesn't have what you want, I would work on making some connections with people directly at the track. Over the past year I have helped place several TB horses in the $0-1000 price range that were sound, healthy, attractive and sane.

Try CANTER or a local sale barn. If you are savy or you have a savy friend for picking out good horses from those types of places - you can find cheap "diamonds in the rough" for projects. Good Luck!