The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gladstone - Weather conditions

I'm in NJ and am just wondering what the Plan B will be for Gladstone. We had 4 1/2 inches of rain yesterday on top of what we had with the Hurricane. It's pouring all day today and tomorrow and actually rain/storms forecasted for the rest of the week. I wonder if the Brown Oval will be o.k. as far as footing. Anyone hear anything?
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

i wonder how that new footing is holding up, too. we have plans to go see some pony rides saturday afternoon for a change (we normally go to see the freestyle) but the forecast for saturday doesn't seem promising either... i do hope they put up the awning over the spectator benches again like they did last year. it was great!
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I heard there's are only two ponies entered?

One day after the hurricane:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe7j6...&feature=feedu

I don't know how well it's holding up to even more rain, but it sure held up well to 10" in one day.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by dudleyc View Post
    I heard there's are only two ponies entered?
    that's lame
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Actually, I just dropped off a horse and things look fine. No worse than 'usual' heavy rain in terms of how wet the main arena is. In my town 40 minutes away it rained all yesterday and last night. That main ring actually drains pretty darned well. I've been there for GP Freestyles in the pouring rain and it is 'splooshy' but not slippery or deep.

In the past, if weather/rain has been a problem, they have at times cancelled some of the less than top level classes. But qualifiers, championships, freestyles, etc will usually go and get wet (if necessary) unless it is actually actively storming (thundering, lightening, judges stand blowing away...) at the time. If any more heavy rain is predicted they may try and move a 'big' class to a better time slot, but the 'big' classes will go on if at all possible.

They have also majorly upgraded the indoor including footing. If it is that bad, I'm guessing they could move indoors, though it would be difficult to accomodate spectators.

What's also lame is that all the jrs and young riders have to be at the jog on Wednesday when some of them don't ride until Friday so much for school being a priority

Quote Originally Posted by Drive NJ View Post
    They have also majorly upgraded the indoor including footing. If it is that bad, I'm guessing they could move indoors, though it would be difficult to accomodate spectators.
    Most competitors spend more time warming up/prepping than riding tests. In general, unless the arena is large enough to provide a warm up area also, most shows will not use the indoor for tests as the tests are under 10 minutes and most of the 'work' of the day is prepping for the test.

The footing at Gladstone is great in wet conditions.

Well I've spent a lot of time there when I worked on the Festival of
    Champions and I know that they have upgraded the Brown Oval - but we just had more heavy rain today and rain and thunderstorms are in the forecast for the next four days. Hope the weatherman is wrong.

Weather update:
    3" of rain last night and more to come. For those of you traveling - stay on major roadways. The Delaware is well over flood stage as is the Raritan and other rivers. If you head to Gladstone - don't try to use any back road routes.

Will be at the competitors party tonight if anyone else is going from Ringoes area and wants to carpool ?

Also going up to watch GP class tomorrow. Will be bringin' the rain gear....

According to his Facebook page, Paragon says he's doing PSG at 2:57 tomorrow, Friday, for anyone interested in seeing H Blitz.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    According to his Facebook page, Paragon says he's doing PSG at 2:57 tomorrow, Friday, for anyone interested in seeing H Blitz.
    I am jealous! Have a wonderful time!

Since I'll be at a doctor at that time, I'm hoping the video ends up online! Magic and Steffen, too. Well, ok, really ALL the rides. It's a long weekend for me, and I'd love to spend all my non-riding time watching dressage videos.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Jealous that I can't be there in person...however, it's supposed to be streaming live online Super excited about that!

Have fun
    Heather
    Green Cove Springs, FL

Prix St. Georges was moved to Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    Since I'll be at a doctor at that time, I'm hoping the video ends up online! Magic and Steffen, too. Well, ok, really ALL the rides. It's a long weekend for me, and I'd love to spend all my non-riding time watching dressage videos.
    My little ol' FlipCam does not zoom well enough for this sort of thing, but hopefully there will be plenty of other folks taking video.

It's amazing how Ravel was so good in the rain but what truly amazes me is how good he was with that scoreboard flashing big orange words and numbers. It looked like it was shorting out. I think I would have turned the thing off, but, no harm no foul I guess.