The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

TrailFan Guest

Default Rider Liability Release

Good morning! I've tried looking on the forum for this but my measly attempts haven't given me any answers. It could be that I'm just not using the right search terms.

Anyway, I've recently gotten the opportunity to ride a friend's horse for free (trail riding and arena work, no jumping, nothing excessive or strenuous). She's amazing for letting me have this opportunity because I can't afford a horse at the moment.

My husband is worried though that if something happens to the HORSE that I could get sued. For instance, if we were riding and he somehow ripped off a shoe and hurt himself, or he fell in a hole on the trail, etc. that I could be liable for his vet bills. One of the biggest reasons I can't afford a horse is because I definitely can't afford horse sized vet bills.

I've already signed a rider release form, but is there some sort of release form for me so that I can't be required to pay any theoretical vet bills? If not, is there an (inexpensive) insurance I can get to cover it?

I miss riding so very, very much and can't afford to take lessons, and she has the biggest heart by letting me ride for free, basically whenever I want. I would hate to lose this opportunity, but understand that if something happens I just can't afford to pay a vet bill.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Welcome aboard

Hmm. I dunno, if you borrow a car and wreck it, do you hand the keys back and say "Ooops, oh well, that's why you have insurance, right" or gets a flat, do you say "Hey, you got a flat tire, come change it".

IMO, if you're riding the horse and the horse gets injured as a result of your riding it, you -should- be the one to pay for it. And the best defense against getting sued is to stand up and do the right thing, the first time, without being asked.

If I were the horse owner, I'd flat refuse to sign anything approaching a legal document that says "Do as thou wilt with my horse, I'll pay for anything". Once upon a time, I'd laugh too. Good luck with that...
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

PS... I wouldn't let that stop me from riding the horse :=) It's a very kind offer.

TrailFan Guest

After I posted this I realized how horribly cheap it made me sound. I would be more than happy to pay for some sort of insurance, and looking around online it seems like the U.K. has something called "equine riders" insurance to cover those people who don't own but ride other horses. However, I'm not sure if that's supposed to cover rider injuries or horse injuries.

I If got into an accident driving somebody elses car then my insurance would kick in, right? But I'm not sure how that works for horses.

I couldn't find anything like equine riders insurance in America, but would definitely be willing to pay for something like it if I could get it.

Now that I don't have the answer to, I'm positive that there is something though that fits that bill; there would have to be or noone would take on horses for training... Markel probably has something that would apply for that scenario...