The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Alternative Mouthwash?

I was talking to a friend and she told me that her boyfriends dentist told him to use half hydrogen peroxide, half water as a mouthwash. He's never had a cavity and it's suppose to whiten teeth.

Is this true? Has anyone heard of this or used it?

Every day. Not to whiten my teeth, but because my toothbrush was growing crud between uses. I tried keeping it submerged in alcohol (ethanol) between brushing and though it worked, it tasted awful.
    Now I just moisten my toothbrush with Hydrogen Peroxide right before I use it. I don't gargle with it. Read the label, I believe it says it can be used for this purpose.

Sure. My boyfriend uses straight hydrogen peroxide as mouthwash.

It's also the main ingredient in any of the "whitening" mouthwashes.

I think it tastes pretty foul straight up, personally.

I also using plain baking soda as toothpaste from time to time, when I feel my teeth really need scrubbing. I don't mind the taste that much.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Straight hydrogen peroxide is carcinogenic when it is used full strength.

Baking soda is too abrasive to use as a toothpaste.

my father is a dentist.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Hydrogen peroxide is what you give dogs when you want them to barf. Pretty sure this would rule it out as a mouthwash for me!

Not to mention, when I kiss my SO after he does his teeth I SURELY don't want to taste hydrogen peroxide!!!!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    Hydrogen peroxide is what you give dogs when you want them to barf. Pretty sure this would rule it out as a mouthwash for me!
    Cats, too, and it definitely works as advertised that way. But it's necessary to swallow a fair bit of it and normally I spit out my mouthwash. I also might barf if I swallowed an ounce of ordinary Listerine.

My favorite mouthwash hands down is Lavoris, which is hard to find but in the 50's and 60's was very popular. It is red and cinnamon flavored and the ingredients are a very clever formulation, in my opinion scientifically superior to the mainstream mouthwashes that clutter the drug store shelves. (The problem was that nobody believed anything that tasted so good could possibly work as well as things that tasted nasty, or at least that was the marketing spin of the day.)

The main things that create breath odor are amines and sulfur compounds produced by oral bacteria. The cinnamaldehyde and the zinc chloride in Lavoris both react with the amine and sulfur-containing functional groups and make them non-volatile. They also denature any protein floating around and wipe out bacteria. It all goes down the drain. It's always surprised me how many food particles and other junk ends up washing into the sink with Lavoris as compared to the other mouthwashes I've tried.

Some CVS pharmacies may still carry Lavoris, or it can be ordered from drugstore.com. Probably other retail channels, too.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

I use rinse with peroxide if I feel a tooth ache comming on or if I crack a tooth.

I gargle with listerine at the onset of a sorethroat it usually kicks the sore throat right away.

I would hope no one rinses with straight peroxide. Talk about chemical burn from hell. I assume people are referring to the peroxide dilution from the store?

I use a mouthwash called Biotene which is an enzyme based mouthwash. Only over the counter thing to help heal my canker sores and it tastes good. lol