The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any Frank Lloyd Wright fans?

Or Morris or Roycroft or Stickley et al?

We are every so slowly renovating our teeny tiny 50's rambler/hovel into something vaguely resembling a Prairie Style home.

We used the color palette of Fallingwater, which turned out surprisingly well. And of course - there is a touch of Cherokee Red here and there.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

http://shopwright.org/
    sigh, I love American Bungalow
    magazine
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Ooohhh... me, me! I painted the living room and dining room of my 1930s bungalow in an attempt at Arts & Crafts style (couldn't stain the woodwork, so I painted it dark brown) and have put up period "style" lighting throughout my house. Major dream of mine is to have my porch pillars (which are obviously a replacement) with the square pillars a lot of the other homes in my neighborhood have.

Wish I could afford some of the reproduction Stickley furniture and some nice lights. As it is, my dogs broke the shade on my one "mica" lamp from Target.

If you get to Chicago, you HAVE to do the Frank Lloyd Wright walking tour out in Oak Park. Very cool!

A good friend of mine LOVES Frank Lloyd Wright. I think he was innovative and definately high quality, just not my particular style . I tease her all the time that "his cantalievers are sagging !!".

I love Morris.

Me! FLW is one of my husband's favorite architects. We even lived in a Wright house for a few years when we were first married. DH had been renting it for years (owner wouldn't sell) and we stayed until our first daughter was almost a year old. Too bad it wasn't big enough to stay in. Let me tell you it is very hard to look for a house when you are leaving a Wright house.

Here's an article about the Suntop homes with pictures:

http://planphilly.com/look-wright-wa...ore-experiment

Our unit was the interior lot and it is the picture with the tree in front with ivy growing in it. Caption says something about garden space.

My dad is a huge fan and visits every house he can. He knows almost everything there is to know about FLW. He is a wealth of other useless info as well

The man was a genius.

Love Fallingwaters!! I think there was a special on it on The Biography channel.

Absolutely.

Trying to remember the book (fiction) that was written about him. I think it was from the perspective of his wife. Although I could be mistaken because I only got through the first few chapters. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    Absolutely.

Trying to remember the book (fiction) that was written about him. I think it was from the perspective of his wife. Although I could be mistaken because I only got through the first few chapters. Anyone?
    You're probably thinking of "Loving Frank" by Nancy Horan, which was actually from the perspective of Mamah Borthwick Cheney, his mistress. T.C. Boyle also wrote a recent novel called "The Women" that has sections that are points of view from the different women in his life.

I don't deny that he was an architectural genius, but both books made me think he was an a-hole. He wouldn't pay his workers, abandoned his family, strung along his mistress, etc.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

My house is a bit FLW-esque (at least 3/4 of our visitors make that comment). We call it a "California contemporary" that somehow ended up on an Indiana farm. I love it -- so much light, so open, so liveable. So yes, a big fan here!

Pics (note: not our furniture and I have redone some of the paint to a slightly warmer neutral tan palette instead of the khaki, need to update...): http://family.webshots.com/album/577452005GphOvB

"Loving Frank". That's the one. I take it from your synopsis that I didn't miss much by not reading the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    My dad is a huge fan and visits every house he can. He knows almost everything there is to know about FLW. He is a wealth of other useless info as well

The man was a genius.
    Wonder if your dad ever stopped by our house. People would wander up the drive all the time and ask to come in to look around. Took some getting used to that's for sure.

I've visited a couple of his California houses. Can't imagine actually living in one if you are over about 5'4" The built-ins, from seating to beds, are not made for anybody with legs. Nor are the kitchens designed to cook in or get much light. Love the roof lines tho' ... and the one in Carmel is in a breathtakingly beautiful spot.

He might not always be my personal cup of tea for my own abode, but dang the man was talented! I adore his homes. Like going to the Louvre.

I still haven't painted a wall in this house. Talk about getting overwhelmed with color options and then having all sorts of other crap pop up to do. *sigh* JSwan...you are still doing before and after photos, right?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    JSwan...you are still doing before and after photos, right?
    The heck with that. I'm going to try and get Fordtraktor to adopt me. I'm in love with that house!!!! It's perfect!

Oh - I got halfway through that book and became convinced Wright was an asshat.

And a commie. Which explains the whole Usonian thing.

But I love me some cantilevers. And hip roofs. And overhanging eaves. Love built ins, wood, clerestory windows - I just love the whole movement. Morris is a bit dark for my taste though I do like many of the patterns.

Down the road a bit there was a lovely lovely 1920's bungalow. Placed looks like it was kept up pretty well - but one day I drove by and it had been razed. People wanted a bigger house and got some godawful stick built McMansion slapped up. No architectural merit at all. Blech.

I've got some before and after photos but they are too large to post - I'll try and resize them. We tore out a wall in the living room that had made a small den - installed cherry cabinets with art glass fronts - it looks great. We didn't do stained woodwork - I took the dark green (not a Dard but deeper) and used it on the walls - over friend's objections. Too dark! But with an off/slightly yellow white on the trim and prairie style doors - it looks fantastic.

We redid everything - tore walls down, installed insulation, new wiring, etc. What did we find in the walls? Many snake skins - I've got a photo of a snake skin over 6 feet long - it now decorates my tack room. Found some bible tracts (Jesus was coming in the 1950's but he hasn't arrived yet - must have gotten lost.)

Oh - the house had NO insulation except this stuff called Al Foil. Literally a piece of aluminum foil with a paper backing.

I've toyed with the thought of a FLW inspired chicken coop. But first we've got to finish the house, and judging by the state of things that won't be for a long time. Hopefully Jesus won't mind the mess.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    The heck with that. I'm going to try and get Fordtraktor to adopt me. I'm in love with that house!!!! It's perfect!
    There really should be a LIKE button. (I"m up for adoption as well, Ford.)
    Dreaming in Color

I'm a fan.

Love Stickley, Morris, all of that.

I liked American Bungalow, but it seems like it's becoming more ads and fewer articles.

JSwan, you must come on a trip to AZ so you can see Taliesin West & hunt with the beagles!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

rivenoak - I would LOVE to visit with y'all someday.

Yeah, American Bungalow is terrific but I'd like to see more articles, especially on landscaping for specific periods/styles. And deck/porch design as well. To restore a real bungalow is wonderful, but some folks like to add more modern touches - but decks and porches are usually really obvious additions. They don't really match a specific style. We want to add a deck to the back of the hovel - but it's got to have Prairie style elements. A patio isn't an option - at least not right off the house and it's several feet down.

And I'd like to see landscaping ideas with plant suggestions that were popular in the time periods the houses were designed, or that were favorites of the architect. Or, xeriscaping ideas. Maybe they'll do something like that in the future.
    -Rudyard Kipling

JSwan, Have you been to the one in Alexandria, next to Woodlawn plantation?

I'm into architecture, too. Remind me to show you the Goodman house I grew up in. Beautiful, based on a Roman barn in Nimes. Hard to live in, though..
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Love FLW!! I used to live outside of Chicago and there are quite a few of his houses in the suburbs there. And one of his own personal houses is there, as well as his studio -- I took the tour several times, as they are both gorgeous.