The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for Georgia Retirement Boarding

My retiree is coming to GA with me and boarding him in ATL area with my other horse is way too expensive, so I'm looking for a place to keep him where I can easily visit him at least a couple times a month. I've searched threads on retirement barns but haven't found any specific to Georgia, so I'm reaching out to COTHers to find a place I can trust to take great care of my boy.

Although my gelding is a complete gentleman and easy to take care of, I want the following attributes for him:
    -he really needs to be turned out 24/7 or pretty darn close to that due to slight stall anxiety (he was once locked in a stall to starve, so it's quite understandable)
    -needs fed 2x a day with medication mixed in
    -does best if he's turned out with 1-2 other laid-back geldings since he gets picked on in larger herds

I'm totally open to small, private situations where he can be a companion too. I just want to keep him somewhere he will be in a top-notch situation and I won't be worrying about his care.

Maybe check with Heather @ A Pinch of Luck in Woodstock? I met her at a fellow COTHers Hunter Pace - believe she posts on here too. She offers pasture board, incl. "Special" Pasture Board and maybe could accommodate your boy's needs? http://www.apinchofluck.com/Home_Page.html
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Go to stablemates.com and check out the ads. There are some reasonable pasture boarding places outside of Atlanta. The guy who raised cleveland bays has good prices over in Madison. And there is a good place in Powder Springs where a friend of mine moved her 2 horses recently. The latter is in stablemates ads. The CB farm can be found by googling.

My barn has 2 openings...we are in Jasper though, not sure if thats too far for you or not.

Its a small private place, has a ring, jumps, plenty of turnout and stalls...owner lives on site. Very knowledgable, etc. Reasonably priced too.

Feel free to PM me and Ill give you more details if you are interested.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Completely OT, but Artemis-Ash is NOT going to go to the barn, even with Kat and Mia...(If your name is not indicative of your reading preferences, my apologies).
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

I love A pinch of Luck. I have two geldings there and I know there is a "Shady Acres" pasture for the elderly. We have some great looking old people there! Also, the drive from Atl should not be bad for you, where in Atl will you be?
    Sayeth Traum:
    I hate it when I injury myself trying to do something unspecified

PM me if my location (well, actually my next door neighbor's location) isnt too far for you--we're about a hundred miles to the southeast of Atlanta, south of I-20, east of I-75 and north of I-16.

The neighbor is a licensed facility, she has only one boarder at present but has several of her own retirees. Horses are out 24/7 with pasture shelters and she just loves oldies and gives them good care. I think she charges 350/mo.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Good grief!! That's just down the road from me. Full board INCLUDING grooming for one fifty a month?
    Heck maybe I'll take my horses there and not keep them at home anymore!!

Just kidding. I Love my guys to be here at home but that sure is cheap cheap full board.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

USHJA has retirement listings on the "horse welfare" page. Maybe something there for you? All farms are vetted by USHJA before they will list them so all should be reputable. Good luck!
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

I'm going to be in the Roswell-ish area near 400, so I'll definitely check out A Pinch of Luck since it's not too far and everyone has glowing recommendations for there. I may have worked out a way to keep my old man at a place with my riding horse, which would be amazing because then I could check up on him all the time and not be paranoid that he's not being spoiled like the thoroughly-bred royalty he believes himself to be.

I admit I'm still suffering from a bit of sticker shock at the prices at keeping a horse in the ATL area. $500 seems to be considered very reasonable board in the northern suburbs, much more expensive then what I'm accustom to.

Gnalli, I'm afraid you've lost me a bit, sorry . I am quite a fan of mythology and Greek architecture/history, but the name is more indicative of my fox hunting addiction than anything I've read.

$500 is a bargain for the area .. unless you're saying $500 for pasture board? I've found $800 to be the norm for stall board =/
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis Agrotera View Post
    I'm going to be in the Roswell-ish area near 400, so I'll definitely check out A Pinch of Luck since it's not too far and everyone has glowing recommendations for there. I may have worked out a way to keep my old man at a place with my riding horse, which would be amazing because then I could check up on him all the time and not be paranoid that he's not being spoiled like the thoroughly-bred royalty he believes himself to be.

I admit I'm still suffering from a bit of sticker shock at the prices at keeping a horse in the ATL area. $500 seems to be considered very reasonable board in the northern suburbs, much more expensive then what I'm accustom to.

Gnalli, I'm afraid you've lost me a bit, sorry . I am quite a fan of mythology and Greek architecture/history, but the name is more indicative of my fox hunting addiction than anything I've read.
    Oh, There is a book series,the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon in which Artemis (of the Greek pantheon) is a key player. It is paranormal/mythology and really good. I just assumed by the name that you were into that series since not too many people realize that Artemis has a last name, lol.

Carson Stables is a good ways north of you, but we have a good barn manager who is really good with the retirees. PM me if you want the number.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

The place I work at here in Carrollton has openings, and happens to be filled with geriatric horses. He'd fit right in and we definitely know what we're doing with the oldsters.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/