The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HCG weight loss program - anyone tried it?

A friend sent me the information and claims she's lost almost 30 lbs on it. Nothing in it for her if I use it -- just an FYI. Has anyone used it? Results? Downside? I'd love to lose a few pounds and my hubby really needs to do so, but want to be sure we understand any side effects or how it would integrate with other meds. TIA
    PennyG

Yes! I've used it! I've also participated in the YahooGroup called HCGDieters and literally thousands of people cycle in and out of that group.

Here's the deal: Do the diet to the LETTER (Dr. Simeons' *original* protocol) and you have a 100% chance of being successful. Cheat, do something different, play with your dosage, etc -- you will not lose as much and you may have trouble stabilizing.

It DOES reset your metabolism as it is billed to, the weight DOES melt off and I personally did not lose muscle (I did it under the care of my doctor).

I think the best part of the diet is that you have a hard and fast rule about weight gain and exactly how to handle it. Follow that rule, and you will have a very easy time keeping your weight off.

Don't let the naysayers who have never tried it turn you off of it. It is an amazing process, and it does work exactly how Dr. Simeons said it does. Just make sure you get a copy of the original protocol.

PM me if you have any questions/need help. I was not able to lose weight following traditional methods, and this REALLY worked for me. I've kept it off for over a year with no problems.

I seriously considered it. I looked at the Yahoo group and read some other "real" testimonials (I do think they were real) about people having good results. A few people said they had complications. Some severe. I was still willing to try it, though. I went to my doctor first and had a complete physical, then asked about HCG. the doctor had never heard of it, but gave the usual warning about fad diets. But she would not write a prescription. Then I called my sister who is an MD. I asked her about it, and she scared me out of it. Putting hormones in your body when it is not necessary is not a good thing, she told me. Then she proceeded to tell me all the possible side effects of taking HCG for fertility. She also had never heard of it for weight loss.

But I was really ready to lose some weight. So I went on the ELF diet. It worked. I've lost 23 pounds. But SLOWLY. excruciatingly slow. I've been doing it for about 6 months. 10 more pounds to go. My goal is Christmas.

Good luck with your decision and your journey. I'm not a naysayer, but I am advising caution.

If you're serious about losing weight and committing (REALLY committing) to an extreme diet to do it, do half of this diet. The half where you eat 500 calories or less per day. You WILL lose weight.

No peer reviewed, double blind studies indicate that HCG is an effective weight loss aid. Plenty indicate that supplementing your body's normal hormone levels with HCG can cause some pretty serious side effects.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFrytheEqHorse View Post
    If you're serious about losing weight and committing (REALLY committing) to an extreme diet to do it, do half of this diet. The half where you eat 500 calories or less per day. You WILL lose weight.

No peer reviewed, double blind studies indicate that HCG is an effective weight loss aid. Plenty indicate that supplementing your body's normal hormone levels with HCG can cause some pretty serious side effects.
    Yeah, this.
    If you eat 500 cals a day, the weight will "melt off". Of course it will, it's a freaking starvation diet. And even if HCG did suppress appetite (which studies don't bear out, nor is there evidence of any special 'fat redistribution' on it), it would still not magically make 500 cals a day anything else but a starvation diet. That's what it is.

It's done for something like 3 weeks and then you go to a much more normal calorie intake for dieting. It's a short "shock phase" of a diet, basically like the Atkins induction phase in its function, oh except you're shooting pointless hormones into your body. Most healthy people will be able to handle an ultra-low calorie diet for a short time without long term damage, so if you're set on it might as well do it without the placebo effect *shrug*

These are typical responses from people who aren't familiar with the protocol or precisely how it works.

As far as the HCG dosage, you are taking a TINY FRACTION of what a woman's body produces in early pregnancy. It isn't comparable to taking HCG for fertility reasons in ANY way.

Quote Originally Posted by IneedanOTdayAlter View Post
    These are typical responses from people who aren't familiar with the protocol or precisely how it works.

As far as the HCG dosage, you are taking a TINY FRACTION of what a woman's body produces in early pregnancy. It isn't comparable to taking HCG for fertility reasons in ANY way.
    No offense, but you're the one who posted that it "restarts your metabolism". Sorry, not buying it- typical jargon used by promoters of fad diets. If I were the OP (who sounds like she and her husband have some other health issues to consider), I would be very leery of such jargon, particularly when several international medical journals have cited significant risks associated with this diet, and pointed out that there is absolutely no conclusive evidence that the use of hCG aides in weight loss.

Again, any diet that suggests the participant eat less than 500 calories/day is going to work. Because you're starving yourself. Of course you lose weight when you're starving yourself. I am glad you were able to lose weight- seriously, congratulations. It's not easy. But eating the way this diet suggests you should eat will always, always, always result in weight loss. Period. Save the money and the risk associated with using hCG, and eat 1/4 of the recommended amount of daily calories for the average person. Simple.

I, personally, didn't feel that it fit into "fad diet" category, since it has been around since the 1950's. But maybe that is just me.

I really can't do it justice in my own description, but I will say that it changed my body, it changed my relationship with food (in a very positive way), it changed my metabolism to allow me to eat like a regular person after the diet, instead of like a bird.

Reading the whole protocol would be educational in deciding if it is/is not for you. I looked for it online, and found this: http://www.hcgweightloss.com/pounds_and_inches.pdf (I've never looked at the web site it's posted at, and am in no way endorsing the web site -- it just happened to come up in a Google search for a PDF of the protocol.) It explains more of the "why" and "how" -- it's more than just a "starvation" diet. The idea being that you've tricked your body with the tiny amounts of HCG into using fat stores it wouldn't normally.

A number of my friends did the diet at the same time I did, and were equally as successful -- and have also kept the weight off. For me, past diets where largely unsuccessful in losing weight (and certainly never from problem areas like my abdomen -- where I saw lots of loss with the HCG diet), but I would always gain back what I lost. This time, however, I've successfully kept off my weight (with zero difficulty and no deprivation) since June of 2010. That's never, ever happened to me before. Never. I always would gain it back within a couple of months.

I know that Coreene who posts on COTH (is she a moderator? not sure) has done the HCG diet and might be able to tell you more about it also. I saw her post about it a few OT days back.

Did it. Love it.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFrytheEqHorse View Post

Absolutely this. Check the literature (pubmed).
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Can you only get it from a doctor/prescription or is it available online?
    PennyG

You can buy it at the mall from a kiosk.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    Absolutely this. Check the literature (pubmed).
    Yep...did the pubmed research too, read the studies conducted and also came to the conclusion that there is no evidence that it works and lots of evidence that HCG can mess you up.

500 calories is 500 calories. Do that for a month, and the pounds will literally melt off. Once you lose 30 pounds, you will have re-set your metabolism that old fashioned way. By losing that weight -see: http://www.medbio.info/Horn/Time%205...April%2008.htm

I have lost 20 pounds over the last three months, how? By not eating sugar, fats, and white flour and keeping the calories below 1500 a day (I shoot for 1300). I eat lots of plant protein, fruit and veggies (I don't eat meat -20 years a veggy but I have cut way back on my cheese). No crazy dieting. just eating right. I have more to go but at least I am in the normal range for my height now (155 pounds at 5.6"). I wish to be 135 pounds- that is my target. I have totally changed my metabolism -I just am not craving sweets, not binging, not eating any chips or salty, fried crap. I have never eaten fast food -my weakness is sweets and cheese dishes, with french bread and butter for good measure. But the less I eat of that crap (I haven't eaten any for 3 months), the less I want it (as I don't even think about foods like that now). I just don't buy it or eat it now and I feel great! No weird hormones and I have totally changed my metabolism. And no question, 20 pounds has totally altered my metabolism and my brain patterns on how I think about food.

There are some people getting very rich with this diet by selling a placebo (HCG) that allows people to get on a 500 calorie diet, lose weight because of that diet and then shout the laurels of HCG (shrug). If a placebo works for you, then do it! Just be aware that there are side effects, and pull yourself off of the HCG quick -if you see any of them cropping up.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

My friends husband did this diet and lost over 75 lbs.in two cycles He looks great and eats 3 tomatoes a day, and 12 shrimp and 12 strawberries. Not gonna lie, I'm jealous.... and don't have the willpower to eat like that. His wife sells the diet, uses it and has not lost a pound because.... she "cheats" and despite using the hormones still has an appetite to eat more.

I think there are healthier options (yes, slower), or save money and eat 500 calories and skip the hormones.

The pain in the ass of weightloss is that the best diets require long term commitment and work slowly.

Honestly, the best diets start with a visit to a dietician (a REAL ONE) who will help you identify problem foods and solve them by suggesting better alternatives. If you are clinically obese and you have health insurance, typically, you can get your insurance to pay for this consultation.