The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Top Gear

I watched my first episode of Top Gear last night. It was the caravan show. I laughed so hard, I almost passed out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgRXi2svWPU

They left out some of the scenes, but this is great anyway.

That one is epic!!! Wait till you see the one where they do a road trip to Jerusalem!
    We even have nicknamed one of the itty bitty barn kittehs Stig because it is all white with a bit of black on it
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I'm on dial-up so I'll die of old age before that opens, but was this the show where they built their own (Jezza's three-storey block of flats on wheels, James's tube on a car, and Richard's fold-out house?) or the one where they had to go on a caravan holiday and burnt down the one next to them?

You need to look up the one where they combine those two sports that eco-weenies hate, off-roading and fox hunting, in which Jeremy is the fox in a small Japanese sport vehicle while Richard pursues with the hunt. (Jeremy is eaten by a pack of hounds.)

Yes, it is the episode where they go camping and torch the camper and the canopy belonging to their nextdoor neighbor.

After googling the episode, I read that the fire scene was staged, but it was very funny anyway.

Yeah, but the cliff scene?
    I think I almost wet myself when I saw that - and I react the same way each time I see it again.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    Yeah, but the cliff scene?
    I think I almost wet myself when I saw that - and I react the same way each time I see it again.
    I could not stop laughing at the cliff scene
    I have never seen the Jerusalem or fox-hunting one - hhmmmm
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

It's been a while since I've watched an episode, but I used to be completely addicted. Those Brits know how to do it right!
    I love the episode where they turn the combine into a 'snow plow' ... Oh my.
    I'd rather be riding!

Top Gear is BY FAR one of my favorite shows. My SO turned it onto me and now we watch it religiously. I end up peeing my pants laughing in almost every episode.

I've actually started to like the American version too. The co-hosts don't have the same sarcastic relationship as their British counterparts, but it's not a bad spin-off. It's definitely better this season than last.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

One of my favorite things ever! (Only the original please, not the crappy USA version.) This is one show that never fails to make me laugh.

Any and all of the specials they do are hilarious (not that the regular show isn't).. the one they did in America is super good. My hubby has ALL of them on our media drive lol.

I DO NOT like the american version of the show. I remember being happy one day because I couldn't find anything to watch and was like oh oh Top Gear (didn't pay attention to the fact that it wasn't BBC)... and then was like WTF?! Totally sucked. May, Clarkson, and Hammond totally make the show.

How about the one where they each get a ridiculously low amount of $$ to buy cars to drive across some part of the African wilderness? One of them wrote "All Adders Are Puffs" on the side of the car. And one of their cars (I think Hammond's?) got stuck in the middle of a river. Hiiilaaaaaarious!! Love me some Top Gear!!

Wait 'till you see the amphibious vehicles (two episodes of that).

These guys have got the "formula" nailed.

G.

I LOVE Top Gear (and was bummed that they filmed part of one episode only an hour from my house, which I didn't know until after the fact!). I love the one where they are testing cars for Mob cars and can't get a real Bentley, so they use a Yugo instead and call it a Bentley. I also love the one where they have a contest with the Australian Top Gear guys and cheat on like every event. I hope they do the same thing withe the American guys sometime, even though I don't care for the American version even if Rutledge Wood is a cool dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    How about the one where they each get a ridiculously low amount of $$ to buy cars to drive across some part of the African wilderness? One of them wrote "All Adders Are Puffs" on the side of the car. And one of their cars (I think Hammond's?) got stuck in the middle of a river. Hiiilaaaaaarious!! Love me some Top Gear!!
    Oliver! <3 Hammond loved Oliver so much he brought him back to the UK and had him restored

I love Top Gear and I am not even remotely a car person! The amphibious car episodes were two of the best, along with the caravan ones. And the specials ones where they go on road trips, some of the roads in the South American one were terrifying!